Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does carb consumption vary by person?

Hello,

I have a question about carb consumption. In the PB, Mark says that you want keep them under 150g a day. I'm wondering if that's a hard and fast number, or if that varies per person. So for instance, the average caloric consumption is supposed to be 2000 a day. But I'm 6'4" and around 200 lbs, so my caloric consumption is closer to 3000. So I'm wondering if your carb count is on the same kind of sliding scale - so for instance, should I be keeping it under, say for example, 225g a day instead?

Thanks!

I believe the 150 gram limit would be the upper limit, and it would fluctuate person to person between 0 and 150 grams. So yes, it would vary from person to person, as I think it should.

You can fill up the rest of the calories with protein and fat...
    sigpic
    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I'm just using logic here but I'd say...

whereas it does make sense that different people can have varying ranges for 'maximum carbohydrate consumption while remaining weight stable' I'd say why would you want to dance with the upper limit anyway?

as far as my view point goes I'd say if your carb counts max out at that number occasionally than so be it, but there is no reason to make it a goal to max out your carb count everyday.

personally I find that as long as you eat the 'right foods' it is fairly challenging to boost my carbs into the upper limit as such I only go over my own goals when I 'cheat' using things such as honey/syrup/sugar or eat some grains/garbage...

just to clarify, it makes logical sense that different people have different limits... but personally I don't see any reason to flirt with the upper limit with anything in life...

"Everything in moderation, even moderation"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fatkid View Post

personally I don't see any reason to flirt with the upper limit with anything in life...

"Everything in moderation, even moderation"
        That's quite sad.
        Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

to get to 225 gr carbs a day you would have to consume some type of grain product or eat a ton of potatoes. Doing it all from veg would be nary impossible, and our carbs should really come from veg and fruit mainly. I also dont see any reason why you should eat more than 150g a day, no matter how big you are. Having more muscle and LBM just means you should eat more protein and fat.

Comment

It's not a linear scale of doom and death, for some people 150g is healthier and more desirable than 50g. You have to find what works for you. Carbs become unhealthy when they replace fats and protein that we need for optimal functioning, but 150g isn't there yet. They also become unhealthy in the case of significant insulin resistance.
            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I'm 5 feet 0 inches, weigh around 105, and eat 50 g or less carbs a day.

Personally I can't imagine how I'd eat more unless I stuffed myself full of fruit.

Comment

225 g of carbs and 3000 calories is really hard to achieve if fully primal, especially if you calibrate protein at the 0.7-1.0 g per lb, ratio. But the real issue is you want to have your carbs at a level where they are not triggering roller coasting blood sugar.

Comment

The upper limit of the curve is variable depending on a persons athleticism rather than size.

If you are a 7 foot couch potatoe your muscles abilty to store glucose would be compromised compared to the 4'10 athlete whose glucose stores are depleted on a regular basis.
                  Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fury22 View Post
                    That's quite sad.
                    Perhaps I should restate;

Personally I don't see any reason to flirt with a relatively undefined upper limit of anything in life when the risks include things such as obesity, diabetes, or even so much as early death. Much akin to playing on the tracks... you know a train will be there eventually, so I'd prefer to hang out elsewhere... with that in mind though... I will venture around tracks on occasion without fear... ...

to clarify... whereas I try to avoid my upper carb limit for most days...there are days when I will meet or exceed my pre-defined maximum as long as it is only occasionally.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Nope, no grains for me. Haven't touched white bread since about March. The only thing that does me in is fruit. I'm a big fan of apples, and I've got 4 VERY active blueberry bushes on my property.

I think 225 would be hard to shoot for, but I was just using an example (3000 is 150% of 2000 calories, so 225 would be 150% of 150g of carbs). I'll admit, I don't track my consumption THAT closely - but just running loose numbers in my head, if an apple is 20 carbs and then I put some almond butter on it, even if I stick to the serving size on the nut butter that's still 30+ carbs right there. Now if I had a salad for lunch and some broccoli with dinner, I might not be over the limit, but I'm probably getting close to it. Now you throw in a cookie or something from an office party and I probably just went over, you know?

I'm not too worried though. I cut out almost all the crap food when I went Primal, and I've been losing weight like a fiend. Went from 235 lbs. to start, down to 207 this week. Plus some muscle definition, more energy, etc etc - basically all the benefits everyone talks about here on MDA. I was just wondering about this though because it seems like even on weeks where I don't do too good of a job of sticking with it, I still lose. So I was thinking to myself that maybe it's because I have a higher threshold than just the 150g a day. But I guess all of Mark's advice in the book about not tracking things day-by-day or week-by-week was true. Ah well. It's a learning experience, right?

Thanks!

Comment

Why would you throw in a cookie at the office party?
                        cookie = grains and sugar
                        Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

lol, i downed like 4 bananas today for lunch along with a coconut milk chocolate whey shake. The bananas were very ripe, so i had to eat them or they would go to waste. I didnt know they were over +20g , but it's all good. I cant let food go to waste, and i got a heavy dose of vital potassium.
                          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                            lol, i downed like 4 bananas today for lunch along with a coconut milk chocolate whey shake. The bananas were very ripe, so i had to eat them or they would go to waste. I didnt know they were over +20g , but it's all good. I cant let food go to waste, and i got a heavy dose of vital potassium.
                            I get very agitated if food goes to waste. I spend a good 40% of my income on food, and in my kitchen, I make sure there is no waste!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyNavyWife View Post
                              Why would you throw in a cookie at the office party?
                              cookie = grains and sugar
                              Sounds like hes been primal for a few months, so im pretty sure he knows that cookies have grains and sugar. He was probably illustrating a random day where something like that happened, and how it might affect his carb #s.

Comment

Working...
                              X