Sunbutter!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbutter!

So I just bought some Sunflower Butter today...wow. If anyone misses the taste of peanut butter, this one sure hits the spot and I dare say it's much better. Since going primal I haven't really missed peanut butter much, I was always more of a raw almond butter guy... but sometimes PB hit the spot. So today I came across the Sunbutter and woow.

Nutritionally its better as well, with more fiber, vitamins and minerals. I'm not sure about the Omega 3 content but I think sunflower seeds have a better ratio? Don't quote me on that. I'm sure someone here knows.

Anyway, it's really tasty stuff. It does have evaporated cane juice in it, 3g of sugar per serving and its pretty sweet (maybe a bit too sweet), but most nut butters range around 2g of sugars anyway. Anyone else ever tried this stuff?

I made some last week or so, and it's fantastic! It's really, really good on apples. I've never had the store bought kind.

I just buy the roasted/salted seeds (only $2.00/lb in bulk) and throw them in the food processor with some olive oil.

Comment

I thought sunflower butter was high in PUFA?

Comment

I don't know, but it tastes good.

Comment

Yes, it's high in Omega 6's, but it is soooooooooo good. I buy Sunflower with omegas which has whole flex seeds in it so it's kind of crunchy.

Back when I was younger and lived in Ukraine, we used to eat this treat which was basically crushed sunflower seeds and honey and it tasted very much like plain sunflower butter. Takes me back

It also tastes a lot like Halva only without all the extra sugar. Delish!

Comment

There is a sunflower oil known as HO Sunflower (High Oleic) which has a better PUFA profile --- do they make butter like this? I don't know if it is made by changing the oil or from a different type of seed.

Anyone know?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

My thoughts exactly!! I was eating almond butter for a while, but let's face it, it tastes nothing like peanut butter. Just tried the Trader Joe's sunflower butter and it's amazing. I are the whole stinking jar in a week.

Comment

High Oleic sunflower oil was designed for higher frying temperatures and a better Omega ratio. I've used it, but it seems to go rancid as fast as any other vegetable/seed oil. YMMV.

Peanuts have a much better lipid profile: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4448/2

Sunflower butter: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/n...roducts/3080/2 And it's pretty inflammatory, too.

So, pick your poison...... Yeah, I'm back to occasional tbls of peanut butter. At least I've ditched the Jif and I"m using "natural."

Comment

peanut get the axed by Mark due to lectin content. I don't know too much about lectins and I can't seem to find any nutrition data on it.

Can anyone help?

Comment

grandma, I KNOW you know how to do internet searchs. There's tons on lectins, I've been researching them the last few days. Start at wikipedia.

They seem to be responsible for a host of low level problems that often lead to high level ones. In a (pea?)nut shell, they are proteins that sort of open a cellular door and if they don't start trashing the place themselves, other proteins often follow.

Like so many nutritional items, it seems some people probably never even suffer the vague symptoms. Others, not so much, lots of immediate problems. YMMV.

Personally, I am not going to give up all lectin containing foods. For me, peanuts and beans. But I will be consuming them at perhaps only 5% of the rate I used to. Hey, that's even better than his 80/20 rule!

Comment

Yeah, yeah, mostly lazy, but what I would like to find the amount in various foods. I like to keep nuts and seeds handy for snaking and I have been struggling to find that "ultimate" one to buy. My current favorite is walnuts, but I would like to do a multi-variable optimization to narrow in on the best not really, just trying to make informed choices.

Several references I have seen call out soy and peanuts as the mother of all lectin containing seeds, but I was curious what the variation really is. As you point out peanut lipids don't look so bad; mostly MUFA, all the PUFA are n6, but in moderation.....

Smart Balance makes a flax/Palm Kernel/peanut butter that is 1:1 in PUFA ratio --- interesting, but not a company I particularly trust, But I wondered about making my own.

I was eating sunflower seed for a while, but I cut them out.

Comment

Something non-scientific folks tend to forget that in chemistry, it's not only WHAT, it's also HOW MUCH. So, if I'm having beans and tortillas three times a day, my lectin load will be a lot higher than if I treat myself to some toast or a half cup of beans once a week.

I also have to wonder why there are millions of people eating legunes with grains to get a more complete protein and they don't seem to be effected. Yes, often obesity due to the carbs, but not the other issues of lectins. Individual and ethnic variability, probably. Think of where potatoes, yams, cassava, are a major part of the diet. Hmmmm....I just thought, "What did Weston Price find out?" I'll look into that.

Some folks will want to be purist and avoid even smelling them. I'm not a purist.

Comment

Sounds like somebody else shops at Trader Joe's! Yeah, I discovered the sunflower seed butter several months ago. At first I went crazy and was going through a jar a week for several weeks, then the novelty wore off. Now maybe every couple of weeks I get a hankering to slop it on some celery or romaine lettuce leaves.

I'm also not a purist. It's not like this is a religion and I'm gonna go to Hell if I commit a food "sin".

Comment

I prefer almond or hazlenut or cashew nut butters, myself

Comment

You heretic, dragonmamma! Straight to nutrition hell unless you change your evil ways!

Comment

Working...
                              X