Sardines/Kippered Herring etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sardines/Kippered Herring etc.

Ok, tell me some different ways to eat these besides straight from the can.

I used to eat them on buttered toast. Obviously, thats out.

Ideas?
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

I can't think of anything..maybe scrambled eggs, though i dont think i like the taste of that.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

in a big salad!
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

The only thing that they need is habanero powder or hot sauce and they're great in my book. I prefer the smoked kipper in water over the sardines though but I eat both sometimes.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I like them in a BAS salad as well. Broken up to distribute all over. This is my go to lunch if I have no meat leftovers or eggs. Or mash with some salsa then stuff in an avocado half. Instead of crackers, I tend to put tuna/salmon salad on celery sticks or cucumber slices. I need to try to make a homemade mayo to try a sardine salad.

Comment

I usually just eat them straight or with mustard, but when I get tired of that, I love using homemade mayo to make sardine salad. Just add some diced celery and onion and you're good to go! I just eat the salad by itself, but it'd be good on a salad I'm sure.

Comment

In/on a salad, with balsamic vinegar (I get the sardines packed in olive oil so I've got my dressing right there). I really like that flavor combination.

Comment

Scrape the flesh off a kipper leaving bones behind. Put in food processor with a finely chopped onion, pot of sour cream, loads of chopped parsley and juice of half a lemon. Pulse to form a coarse puree and eat as a dip with raw veg. Delicious!

Comment

Chopped up with avocado and topped with salsa fresca.
                  Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

+1

for hot sauce with sardines
                    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Perhaps some serendipity has occured, in case someone is still reading this thread.

I was looking to make the old 70's "Green Goddess Dressing" which involves anchovies. It was delicious, but I had some leftovers. And when I was buying the anchovies, I couldn't quite remember what I needed, so I bought sardines too.

Which re-introduced me to sardines. They are extremely nutritious, low in mercury and other pollutants, and high in omega-3's. I savored them with some spicy mustard and lemon juice, on garlic-rosemary triscuits.

Which reminded me that I had bought several cans of kippered herring for some environmental/terrorist/Y2K scare....and they were still within their expiration date. And have the same nutritional qualities as sardines.

So I mixed a couple cans of kippered herring with my leftover Green Goddess Dressing.....and heaven ensued. I'm taking it to work for breakfast tomorrow, with some more garlic-rosemary triscuits. If I don't finish it off tonite. yum.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of making Green Goddess Dressing....mix in some mayo, some sour cream, parsley, green onion (or red, or scallions), lemon juice, and white wine (or other favorite) vinegar. I suppose you could leave out the anchovies, given that you are mixing it with the herring. I'd mix in quantities that make sense to you....because that's the way I cook. But 2 to 1 ratio of may to sour cream was in the original recipe.

Hope you like!

Comment

Alton Brown made a primal "tuna salad" by combining sardines with avocado.
                        carl's cave

Comment

Joyous: That sounds delicious! I will have to try making some Green Goddess dressing. Just so you know though, Triscuits are made of wheat, and wheat is definitely not a good thing to eat. Also, commercially prepared mayonnaise is made with soybean/canola oil, which are not recommended. It's best to make your own mayo with olive, avocado, or some other not-too-saturated oil (bacon grease mayo works too!).

P.S. I only say to use a not-too-saturated oil because the emulsion will not work if the percentage of saturated fat is too high; In terms of health, I think saturated fat is great to consume.

Comment

my girlfriend likes them with cottage cheese and sriracha sauce. sometimes she will put the mixture over a salad. i like by themselves personally.

Comment

Herring - I usually like to eat them flaked up with chunks of avocado, the creaminess goes with the saltiness quite well!

Sardines - Mash them up with hot sauce, some onions, tomato puree and any other spices you like. Make a thick chunky paste-like thing. Then spread into large cup-like pieces of bell pepper. Who needs crackers!

Comment

Working...
                              X