A New Myth...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Myth...

I got to hear a new myth this Memorial Day weekend...

Overeating = Get Fat
    Undereating = Get Thin

At least that's the idea. Apparently I'm a freak because I eat eat eat all the time (probably more now than I did before PB) and it's all fatty fat meat and somehow I'm managed to lose over 50 lbs!

So a couple of my hefty friends are convinced that I just have good genes (apparently these good genes just now kicked in, because I've been fat for the last 4 years, right after high school, of course)... because since overeating is the way to gain weight the only way to lose it to under-eat.

Hmmm.
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

The genetic fallacy is for the dim-witted. It's a cop-out, ironically, as it often results in starving oneself, running oneself ragged, taking drugs, paying for $70 a bottle acai berry juice, etc, which are a lot less desirable than just eating steak and salad. Hrmf.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

brilliant
      *eye roll*

Comment

Seriously...Ive gotten so many uppity "health freaks" roll their eyes at me for being a low-carber...I just give them a sh*t eating grin and go back to eating my steak. Leave me alone! *stab*

I also love the whole thought process of "well anorexics are skinny so obviously eating less works"...really? is that your example of how people should lose weight? horrible.
        Last edited by SheGlowsPale; 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM.
        The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

I also recently got the "you must have good genes" line. First time I've ever been on the receiving end of that one. I guess, in a way, it's true. Pretty much all of us have good genes. Millions of years of evolution will leave one with "good genes". The PB is very circle of life in when it comes to genes. Treat them well and they'll treat you well.

Comment

You could tell them, "I do have good genes. That's what happens when you eat the things that ACTIVATE them."
            Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Don't know that it's a new myth as such - the 'you're lucky, you've got good genes' thing has been around for a while - admittedly having them 'kick in' all of a sudden - well ya gotta wonder.......

I don't know why this sort of thing still surprises me, given the level of thought most people apply to their daily lives.

Comment

Lol, are we really surprised people? It's disheartening when our friends and family look for ways around it, that our lifestyle actually works, not just for weight loss, but for making us feel great.
                "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Dont even mention IF to anyone, they will scream eating disorder and call for help.
                  "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                    Dont even mention IF to anyone, they will scream eating disorder and call for help.
                    Quoted for truth. I've recently been going to a lot of "off-site" training with some co-workers where I ususally skip lunch to hike around the great trails. Everybody gives me the "but you need to eat, you'll fall asleep during the afternoon without food".

Comment

Originally posted by Jason VT View Post
                      Everybody gives me the "but you need to eat, you'll fall asleep during the afternoon without food".
                      I can almost understand why people say that though...looking at everyone elses diets skipping lunch would probably do that to them.
                      The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

Thin genes? fat genes? more like a convienient justification to continue to eat doritos and honey bunches of oats (more like sugar bunches of sugar!)

For a genetic mutation in any species to become prevalent or common, it would take millions of years. Since we can pinpoint exactly when agriculture entered the picture, a fraction of this time, we know its the diet, not some freakish "fat gene" thats making everyone balloon up. Its also the processed foods, as pre-1950 society, although there were other hardships, were not chronically obese, due to the majority of their diet being homecooked and grown.

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                          Thin genes? fat genes? more like a convienient justification to continue to eat doritos and honey bunches of oats (more like sugar bunches of sugar!)

For a genetic mutation in any species to become prevalent or common, it would take millions of years. Since we can pinpoint exactly when agriculture entered the picture, a fraction of this time, we know its the diet, not some freakish "fat gene" thats making everyone balloon up. Its also the processed foods, as pre-1950 society, although there were other hardships, were not chronically obese, due to the majority of their diet being homecooked and grown.
                          yep, yep, evenn though some people are predisposed to certain body types (i.e. mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph) they dont have to become slaves to their genes. They can make their genes work for them. Martin from leangains is a beast example of this. Look at the guy, at my age he was obese, and now he maintains a body fat percentage of 6% year round!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                            yep, yep, evenn though some people are predisposed to certain body types (i.e. mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph) they dont have to become slaves to their genes. They can make their genes work for them. Martin from leangains is a beast example of this. Look at the guy, at my age he was obese, and now he maintains a body fat percentage of 6% year round!
                            OK Im reading up on Martin and leangains since Ive seen it mentioned here several times now. And, reading the free thing posted as well. I've recently tweaked my weekly fasting schedule, doing more of an alternate day thing, where on those days (M<W<F) I have about a 20 hour fast (8 sleeping, the rest day time) and break it with a 800-1000 calorie single meal at 5 or 6 pm. Then eat normally the next day (one AM meal (aroung 7:30 am) of about 800 cals, and one evening meal (around 7:30 pm) of about 700 cals, with the 12 hour no eating period in between. I am doing this because I felt that lunch was getting a bit redundant, as I sit at a desk in my office during the week, and am not being active during this time, and usually wasnt hungry for lunch, but ate anyway because I didnt want to waste food, but felt like I was eating too often. I have learned that my body was meant to go longer than 4 hours without food just fine! I used to do just one 24 hour fast a week,with a smaller fast-breaking meal, but I like this better

Im not usually so calorie focused, I just figured I would phrase it that way for quick reference. I eat 2/3 calories in fat, average 115-120 grams of protein a day (i have LBM of around 100 lbs), 100 grams fat daily, and avg 30-50 carbs a day. Even though the meal is big on a fasting day, I dont really care, because my goal is not really fat loss, but rather cell repair and renewal that comes from the 20 hours of abstaining from food.
                            Anyway Im trying this new schedule out starting this week. Fasting makes eating so much better. Instead of mindlessly shoveling food into our faces, when we are never truly hungry (6 small meals a day crowd) makes us less sensitive to how the food effects us. I feel like grok probably had two big main meals during his day, and spent the rest of the day at leisure or working on shelter etc. It takes a lot of energy to procure a high fat high protein food source (aka hunting and killing an animal) therefore I assume he ate larger meals less frequently and had lots of time in between meals, and also expended a lot of his energy in a fasted state. and im rambling....
                            Last edited by lmyers04; 06-01-2010, 06:27 AM.

Comment

yeah, i always hated eating breakfast, and would force feed myself. now i know that i dont need. i mean every once in a while, i do get hungry for breakfast, but rarely, and i dont worry about crashes thanks to my stable blood sugar level.

Comment

Working...
                              X