Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk to me about protein powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Talk to me about protein powder

    I have read that protein powder is bad stuff and yet I see so many here, who seem knowledgeable, consuming it. I have been taught that dried dairy/whey is an neurotoxin and should be avoided.

    I went looking for some protein powder for my husband and found a low heat processed whey with no soy...thought it would be ok, but then I read maybe not. Clearly I do not get all the terminology.

    Can someone clue me in as to the pros and cons? What is ok and what should be avoided?

  • #2
    It really depends on the person. Some people think they can handle it, others don't. Whey is addictive and there is only so much meat I can eat (that's not true actually I've started eating beef for breakfast, heh) so I would really love it if it didn't pwn me but I have issues with dairy. Some people don't think that they have dairy issues and there still needs to be some conclusive evidence that dairy is necessarily bad for everyone in all cases so it's a gray area. On the one hand, cow's milk is a very recent addition to the human diet and a lot of people are intolerant of it. Just because you don't double over in pain after eating some doesn't mean that it's doing nothing harmful at all. On the other hand, there is little evidence other than anecdotes against something like a whey isolate, though there is plenty of rightful speculation.

    Are you going to risk it? If so get something high quality.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

    Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

    Comment


    • #3
      Some say it can stall weight loss. Maybe avoid it until you reach your ideal body composition. I don't see why it can't be a good part of a maintenance diet.
      "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

      "A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-...e-hydrolysate/
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-...er-supplement/

        Comment


        • #5
          My body is very happy when I ingest whey isolate. Very. Not so much with dairy in general. Ideally I'd have it daily.



          iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
            It really depends on the person. Some people think they can handle it, others don't. Whey is addictive and there is only so much meat I can eat (that's not true actually I've started eating beef for breakfast, heh) so I would really love it if it didn't pwn me but I have issues with dairy. Some people don't think that they have dairy issues and there still needs to be some conclusive evidence that dairy is necessarily bad for everyone in all cases so it's a gray area. On the one hand, cow's milk is a very recent addition to the human diet and a lot of people are intolerant of it. Just because you don't double over in pain after eating some doesn't mean that it's doing nothing harmful at all. On the other hand, there is little evidence other than anecdotes against something like a whey isolate, though there is plenty of rightful speculation.

            Are you going to risk it? If so get something high quality.
            +100
            sigpic
            In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

            Comment


            • #7
              I just tried chocolate whey powder with coconut milk. the taste was amazing.
              "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

              "A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                I just tried chocolate whey powder with coconut milk. the taste was amazing.
                Haha I know! Like a milkshake! OM NOM NOM!
                The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just as delicious id say.
                  "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

                  "A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It's most definitely not paleo, natural, or healthy. I'll go as far as saying it's potentially dangerous (oxidized cholesterol).
                    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Didn't mark says that oxidized cholestrol in it is minimal and of no concern?
                      "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

                      "A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I mean jeez, are we gonna stop breathing air because there's tiny particulates of mercury from car exhaust in it? or stop drinking water from bottles because of plastic leaching and tap because of lead and what not.
                        "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

                        "A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                          I mean jeez, are we gonna stop breathing air because there's tiny particulates of mercury from car exhaust in it? or stop drinking water from bottles because of plastic leaching and tap because of lead and what not.
                          ^^This.

                          I keep some around to for the occasional shake. Sometimes a protein shake is so refreshing, especially after training. I also use some when I make protein bars and such. Some people here are just too overly concerned about unimportant shyt. Use it or don't. Whatever. I think it's good to have around though.
                          Check out my blog!

                          http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

                          I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

                          We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            As long as it is an occasional thing and it doesnt take the place of real food (skipping a meal for whey everyday is really a bad idea), there should not be a problem. It could fall into your 20%.

                            Once in a while, drink a shake if you wish. But, if you can tolerate dairy, I would suggest drinking a glass of RAW milk instead (once in a great while).
                            Living the hard way has never been so easy!
                            My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah, it's an awesome use of your 20%

                              I would never use it to replace whole, delicious food, but it's extremely convinient.
                              "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

                              "A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X