How is fructose stored as fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is fructose stored as fat?

I was wandering seeing as fructose doesn't raise insulin, yet I've read that it stores fat at a quicker rate than the other sugars.

Chris Kresser says it well.

Comment

Eat whole foods - including fruits and berries. Avoid refined products, include fructose syrups.

Do NOT worry about the fructose contained in whole foods any more than you would worry about carbs in general.
      What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Fructose (like glucose) can be converted into fat.
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
          I'd stick with Robert Lustig.

Is Kresser seriously saying fructose is a great idea?

Back to the basics; we come from the ice age, that's not a high fructose environment. How could we possibly be adapted for large amounts?

Comment

Back to the basics; we come from the ice age, that's not a high fructose environment. How could we possibly be adapted for large amounts?
            What's wrong with fructose?

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post

Strawman! Ice age or not, eating some fruit is hardly a high fructose environment anyway. Also, maybe it was warm before the ice age and humans ate fruit as a part of their diet at that time? Maybe humans lived in tropical environment before going north? And why does humans same as fruit eaters have color vision and carnivores not? Yeah, maybe the human specie had a life before hunting Mammoths over the frozen tundra…
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                Strawman! Ice age or not, eating some fruit is hardly a high fructose environment anyway. Also, maybe it was warm before the ice age and humans ate fruit as a part of their diet at that time? Maybe humans lived in tropical environment before going north? And why does humans same as fruit eaters have color vision and carnivores not? Yeah, maybe the human specie had a life before hunting Mammoths over the frozen tundra…
                Lol. I love this post. I have always hated the premise of low carb eating with the ice age argument.
                JOURNAL..
                @BabesWithBBQ.
                Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                Professional Style Website.
                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                  No doubt Grok's ancestors came to be in tropical environments. And our closely genetic relatives, Apes and Chimpanzees eat primarily fruit. I have NO DOUBT that we are well adapted to eating fruits and berries. Do not fear fructose in it's natural forms.
                  What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Fruit is awesome!

Comment

In a way the lack of insulin satiety is the problem. "Sweeteners are only bad in excess" can be misleading when they encourage their own excess. Manufacturers can dissolve a great deal into food without changing volume or texture much so it doesn't register in the way an extra bite of apple would. The resulting heinous energy load can interfere with normal triglyceride drawdown between meals.

I agree a person eating whole fruits and drizzling honey with a teaspoon doesn't need to worry about it, but this isn't what Americans are eating.
                      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

In a way the lack of insulin satiety is the problem.
                        I disagree. I think eating more and maintaining a high metabolic rate is beneficial. Eating in general tends to promote thyroid hormone, which is important for almost everything. When people eat extremely satiating diets, like zero-carb, they sometimes eat so little they induce hypothyroidism.

If you eat a high-fructose diet and the satiety is so low you eat huge amounts, that's only bad if you can't handle all of the energy, which could be considered a problem of an inhibited metabolism, rather than insufficient hunger.

Comment

Originally posted by OP
                          How is fructose stored as fat?
                          Like this:

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                            Like this:

how much is actually converted to fat?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
                              how much is actually converted to fat?
                              It depends on various variables! One important factor is the absorption rate i.e. how fast fructose enters the bloodstream. Refined HFCS in liquid form will enter bloodstream fast so more will be turned to fat since the capacity of the liver to convert it to glucose will be a bottle neck, so it must store it as fat if it comes into the blood too quickly. If you eat fructose from fruit and vegetables, then the fibers will slow down absorption rate and much less if will be converted to fat...
                              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X