Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pot of coffee versus pot of coffee - bean counter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pot of coffee versus pot of coffee - bean counter

    When people say they are drinking a cup or a pot of coffee, it means nothing. I can take 1/2 cup of beans and brew it into one cup or a whole pot! Why aren't we saying how many beans we brewed instead?!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

  • #2
    I think it does not matter

    Comment


    • #3
      Who would drink a whole pot of coffee brewed with only 1/2 cup of beans!!!!

      Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        I weigh my water and coffee. I use a 1:19 ratio of bean to water.
        Last edited by yodiewan; 06-10-2014, 05:24 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think I just drank 37 beans of coffee.
          The Champagne of Beards

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            When people say they are drinking a cup or a pot of coffee, it means nothing. I can take 1/2 cup of beans and brew it into one cup or a whole pot! Why aren't we saying how many beans we brewed instead?!
            I just measure add beans to the grinder until I hit a certain line on it. I know that more beans is too strong and less beans is too weak.

            I don't count the beans because I have a life. and friends. and a job. a wife. a baby on the way. 2 dogs. and countless other things I can do with my time that doesn't involve counting coffee beans.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, yeah. I don't mean actually counting bean by bean! But the finished product is mostly water with some plant extract. Having more or less water to the same amount of extract ought not quality as more or less coffee. We really ought to say we brewed a given weight or volume or coffee beans into x water.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

              Comment


              • #8
                this seems like a topic a really bored person came up with. are you off from work today knifey? lol.

                I know what you're saying though. a "pot" or "cup" of coffee can mean so many things to so many different people. it could be single origin, freshly ground, french pressed coffee, made moderately strong like I make it. or it could be folgers in a drip machine, made super weak or super strong like others make it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                  Well, yeah. I don't mean actually counting bean by bean! But the finished product is mostly water with some plant extract. Having more or less water to the same amount of extract ought not quality as more or less coffee. We really ought to say we brewed a given weight or volume or coffee beans into x water.
                  You're totally right, you're just overthinking this. Different beans & different roasts have different amounts of the particular extractives anyway. It's not precise to say "I drank a pot of coffee," but it doesn't really need to be.
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                    I just measure add beans to the grinder until I hit a certain line on it. I know that more beans is too strong and less beans is too weak.

                    I don't count the beans because I have a life. and friends. and a job. a wife. a baby on the way. 2 dogs. and countless other things I can do with my time that doesn't involve counting coffee beans.
                    Congrats on the baby!! Sorry, off topic.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
                      Congrats on the baby!! Sorry, off topic.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                      thanks. due mid-august, so it's starting to get real. really real...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use K-Cups


                        Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good question. I usually do 1/4 cup ground + 16 oz. water in the coffee press for about 6 minutes. But the result is not consistent among the coffees I buy so I experiment too.
                          37//6'3"/185

                          My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            How big is the mug, how many cups in the pot?

                            I can't answer these questions, my husband makes my coffee.

                            NOTR, when were you going to tell us you had a little one on the way?!!!! Very exciting time for you and Mrs. NOTR!
                            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Baby on the way?! Best derail EVAR!! Congrats!
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X