Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did it!!!

*Sigh*

I've done it. I've been a vegetarian for 2 years, pescatarian for 6 months.

I just fried up a slice of BACON and ate it! It was just as effing delicious as I remembered. Granted, I sandwiched it between 1/4 slice of white bread... but whatever. I DID IT!!!! And I did it with humanely raised, organic meat. Freakin' MEAT! Sorry folks, but this is kindof a big deal. Thanks to everyone who commented on my other thread about the transition. The best advice was to do what feels right, and that change happens in an instant. Here's to being primal!

Now, to avoid having anxiety about the whole thing, I'm gonna go do some busywork until dinnertime

I'm happy to hear that you've made the transition back to eating meat. Please keep the MDA community informed on your journey back to the omnivorous side of town. What meat are you planning on eating next?

Comment

Booyah! Congrats! We knew you'd tackle it and wow... that was quick too. You are eager and more capable than you knew!

Glad to hear it was a great experience, that makes all the difference. I wasn't sure what to expect with my first meal w/ meat but it was amazing just as you describe and now I can't stop. =P Good luck with the rest of the transition, but frankly... you are most of the way there.

Comment

I actually had bacon for the first time in 5 or 6 years today. Not because of vegetarianism, but because of the CW fears of fat and cholesterol, and overall "unhealthiness" of bacon. With all the reading I've been doing on the advantages of a high-fat, low-carb diet, I can now safely conclude that bacon is a much better food than oats!

Comment

Haha, congrats! Ain't no better way to go out with a bang than with some bacon!
          Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
          The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

Congrats to you too then!
            And me too... I had my first bacon in 4-5 years two days ago. I was a vegetarian, primal for 4 weeks but hadn't delved into any pig products. I think bacon will be a regular item in my diet now.

Comment

mmmm, bacon. One of my first meats after 7 years veg. Don't look back now, you're off to a good start!

Comment

Thanks guys I'm really surprised I went straight to bacon... SO much flavor. I actually haven't cooked bacon in 2 years, just so I wouldn't be tempted to eat it.

GregoryGrok, I think I'll make some chicken salad soon. I also have some very thinly sliced canadian bacon that I may try with an egg one hungry morning. I'm not overly eager to delve into meats, but I'm very excited for the nutrition and variety that it's going to add to my diet. I also expect that some of my vegetarian induced digestive issues will resolve themselves. Eliminating grains on an 80/20 basis has done wonders already!

Jason, thanks again for your support. You've given me some fantastic advice and encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrin View Post
                  Haha, congrats! Ain't no better way to go out with a bang than with some bacon!
                  Homer has this to say on the matter:

(Lisa) "I'm going to become a vegetarian"
                  (Homer) "Does that mean you're not going to eat any pork?"
                  "Yes"
                  "Bacon?"
                  "Yes, Dad"
                  Ham?"
                  "Dad all those meats come from the same animal"
                  "Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!"

It is at that! Enjoy!
                  Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

You're welcome, of course... glad to seem more folks doing well. Really - I've not seen very many people on the forum complaining about PB or eating Paleo style - odd ?

Comment

EEEEK! white bread! lol, jk, congrats!!
                      "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                        EEEEK! white bread! lol, jk, congrats!!
                        hahaha I figured it was 80% bacon and 20% bread... so it's within the rules

Comment

ah, well figured! This is the first step, soon you will regard white bread with the same disdain as you do candy.

wait, what's your opinion on candy? lol
                          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Blech. Candy is so useless. I don't want a mouthful of corn syrup and chemicals.

For lunch today I had a spinach salad with yogurt ranch dressing, havarti cheese, and 2 slices of crumbled bacon!!! The big farmer's market is tomorrow... think I may get some chicken and attempt chicken salad with apples and celery

Comment

well, if you're gonna break yourself of the vegetarianism, bacon's the way to do it! congrats and welcome
                              sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Working...
                              X