Do you make an exception for bacon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you make an exception for bacon?

I really wanted to try some good bacon, so I bought some uncured, nitrite free, no preservatives/no antibiotics/no hormones/etc. bacon from Trader Joe's. I haven't eaten bacon in years, and I loved it, and would like to make it a regular. Now, this is the cleanest bacon I've been able to find. Is it okay to eat large amounts of this non-organic/non grass fed bacon (omega 6/omega 3 ratio)? Do you make an exception about eating grain fed meat when it comes to bacon?

Take an Omega-3 supplement and don't sweat it.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I try my best, but I don't sweat it. I pay about double for bacon from the local market that is antibiotic/steroid free, is allowed to "roam" and is smoked naturally. I pay about $ 5.00 lb, but there is a HUGE difference in taste and "cookability??" for me. When I cook this stuff, the fat renders "clean" the fat left on the strips gets like a good fried porkchop fat (you know those edges?) and it doesn't go from being a nice large thick slice to a teeny tiny little bit of meat. They stay big.

If I *have* to buy from the store, then I buy the extra thick, traditional brand if I can find it. Or I get back bacon.
      SW: 235
      CW:220
      Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
      Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
      Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
      Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
        Take an Omega-3 supplement and don't sweat it.
        This seems to be a common recommendation for folks in my situation, and I've often seen Mark talk about it. The supermarkets are filled with the "all natural", "humanely raised", "vegetarian feed", "no antibiotics/hormones" labels. Finding a steady, variety of pork and beef cuts that are organic and grass fed is just too difficult for me. So, if I were to go the conventional route, I would definitely stick with the all natural/no antibiotics/etc. (it's got to be better than Tyson or Perdue), and I'd be able to afford more meat. So, to balance things outs, what scenario is better: lots of non organic, non grass fed meat everyday along with an omega 3 supplement, or significantly less meat (basically whatever grass fed meat is cheap), yet is of higher quality? To add to this, where should I start with an omega 3 supplement that will not only counter all the omega 6 in my diet, but also that comes from wild caught fish, and has no fillers/additives/soy ingredients?

Comment

NoMoreGrains,

Get yourself some good cod liver oil. Carlson's is widely available and high quality.
          Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
          The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

No its not kosher. No exceptions, unless its from another animals and bares a hecture.
            My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I totally eat cheap bacon. But just about all of my Beef intake is grass fed.

I really should be looking into some fish oil though.

Comment

yumm....bacon

my 'exception' to overindulging with the omega6/3 ratio is by far REALLY fatty ground pork...i LOVE IT
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well, I eat bacon on a nearly daily basis because it kills my appitite. I don't get crazy hungry when I eat it I've noticed. However this thread is making me think about the Omega-6 issue. hmmm, fish oil. One more thing for me to buy.

Comment

Working...
                  X