How to bake a chicken?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bake a chicken?

So, I've been buying those Rotisserie Chicken's from the grocery store but I'd like to move on into making my own - they're cheaper, bigger, and I'll know exactly what's in it.

Anyways, I baked a whole chicken last week (@ 400 degrees until it reached 170 degrees on the inside) and the skin was crispy and OUTSTANDING! but the actual meat on the inside was a little chewy and bland and the skin on the bottom of the chicken was soggy.

Any suggestions on how to make it better?
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

I would bake it a little slower. Try 350 until done. You can also cook it breast down and it will stew in its own juices

Comment

This is the recipe I use every time, and it always comes out incredible. Tying the legs up with kitchen twine helps to get more brown underneath and stuffing the cavity of the bird with the halved lemon helps to keep it moist and very flavorful. I make this once a week in the winter

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

Comment

I use a Jamie Oliver recipe as my fall back for perfect chicken.

Start the oven at 450.

Take butter and smoosh together with chopped bacon, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme.
        Run your hand between the skin and the breast, slash the thighs, and seperate the thighs and legs from their skin. Stuff the mixture between the skin and the meat. The remainder, smear over the breast and legs.

You can chop vegetables and put them on the bottom of the pan (carrots, onions, celeriac, parsnip etc) as a "rack" or just use a rack. Place in the oven and turn the heat down to about 325, cook until internal temp reads 170, cover with tinfoil and let rest for 10 minutes.

People will fight over this.
        SW: 235
        CW:220
        Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
        Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
        Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
        Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Yes I know what you mean. You can 'spatchcock' the bird ie cut down the backbone and flatten it out and maybe cook it on a slightly raised rack in a baking dish. This also cooks quicker about 45 mins at 180oC/350oF for medium sized. My quick easy recipe for chook is olive oil (or something else if you prefer) drizzled over the whole or flattened chook, heaps of lemon juice, dried oregano and pepper. Skin always comes out nice and crispy. I always have these ingredients on hand so easy peasy but you can be be more adventurous.
          Mexican spices work well too if you want a bit of 'bite'.
          Pre cooked chooks here in the supermarkets have generally been injected with water and flavourings/pre basted to make them more 'tasty'. And they can be quite pricey.
          I wish they'd stop buggering about with food sooooooo unnecessary!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Agree with elorajade too, we've done that Jamie Oliver recipe and it was awesome! you just have to be gentle when you get under the skin so you don't tear it!

Comment

I bake mine for 2 hours at 350 F. They come out perfect every time. I just grind a little black pepper on the skin and put it breast side down in the roasting pan sitting on a foil liner greased with olive oil to prevent sticking.

Comment

I have a similar recipe to Katie82 that I use every time. It's low maintenance (no basting required) and delicious with the gravy you can make from it. If you have an extra roasting pan, you can throw in some roots and tubers and get a full meal out of it. I just wrote about this the other day. Click here for the recipe.
                Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
                The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

Nothing beats a whole chicken to quell a primal appetite. Bare hands of course!
                  "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Easy and tasty roast chicken

Comment

Here in NS it's cheaper to buy a supermarket chicken than to roast your own. By almost double in some places.

My kids wanted to eat out on Friday, so I bought a chicken (they had McDonalds) and I ate probaly half that bird. Oh it was yummy!
                      SW: 235
                      CW:220
                      Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                      Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                      Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                      Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Here's my usual roast chicken recipe: Pan-Roasted Chicken & Gravy. I make a few changes: I use butter or bacon grease instead of vegetable oil, and I add some carrots and onions to the pan. I still use a tiny bit of flour to thicken the gravy (), but I just bought some arrowroot to try instead. The skin on this chicken is SO GOOD!
                        My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                        On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Nothing beats a beer can chicken either in the oven or on the grill...

Comment

To have the meat cook better while having the meat stay moist, for the last 1/3rd of however long you cook the chicken, or even 1/2 of the time (depending on how well the skin is cooked) cover the bird with foil.

Also make sure you cook it on a raised grill inside of the pan, if you aren't already.

HTH

Comment

When I do my chickens, I fill the inside with either lemons, zested and cut in half, or apples and onions-usually a tart granny smith. I mix the lemon zest with butter and other herbs and smear between the flesh and skin. Truss up the bird and start it breast side down in a bed of chopped up veg--carrots, celery, onion. Bake for half the time breast side down and then flip it breast side up to finish. The skin isn't always super crispy, so I bump up the temp just a bit to get it crispy for about the last 30 minutes or so. Really good, great juices to pour over or use to make stock.
                              Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
                              ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                              Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                              me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
                              273.4/269.3/115
                              Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Working...
                              X