Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking w/ olive oil / Oil for cooking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cooking w/ olive oil / Oil for cooking?

    I use EVOO for cooking (roasting veggies, sautéing) b/c I don't like the taste of coconut oil. However, I'm wondering if cooking with EVOO is not good because it degrades the oil.

    Is olive oil ok for cooking?
    I know other good cooking fats are lard and ghee, but those are too expensive for me and not an option.

  • #2
    Mostly okay

    Just watch for smoke or bitter flavor. My lard is less expensive than olive oil though.
    37//6'3"/185

    My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

    Comment


    • #3
      You can, just keep it low heat and avoid smoke like the plague.

      The stuff I get is so nice that I use it pretty much only for dressings and uncooked sauces, dips, things like that. It's what you get when your olive comes from olives grown in your uncle's backyard and produced by an independent and certified organic winery and olive oil producer.

      I get one big bottle a year from my uncle and I'm not letting THAT stuff go bad from overcooking.

      In the meantime, for most folks it is cheaper, easier, and safer (how many people really know smoking oil is bad?) to use butter, ghee, coconut oil, tallow, and lard as primary cooking fats.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

      Comment


      • #4
        Olive oil is great for cooking, if by "olive" you mean "coconut."
        My opinions and some justification

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
          You can, just keep it low heat and avoid smoke like the plague.

          The stuff I get is so nice that I use it pretty much only for dressings and uncooked sauces, dips, things like that. It's what you get when your olive comes from olives grown in your uncle's backyard and produced by an independent and certified organic winery and olive oil producer.

          I get one big bottle a year from my uncle and I'm not letting THAT stuff go bad from overcooking.

          In the meantime, for most folks it is cheaper, easier, and safer (how many people really know smoking oil is bad?) to use butter, ghee, coconut oil, tallow, and lard as primary cooking fats.
          Cool, thanks. I actually do cook with very high quality olive oil like you described, since we have a friend with his own olive farm. Basically the only choices of oil in my house are that or canola, eew, so I cook with the olive oil when butter isn't appropriate for the dish.

          Comment


          • #6
            High quality olive oil for the win.

            Plenty of evidence out there to support that.

            Personally, I shy away from cooking with it. I might use a little coconut oil to 'lubricate the pan' and then 'finish' with olive oil however. This is pretty much the standard vegetable prep for me these days.

            And by the way - one need not spend lots of money for good quality, organic, olive oil.

            Kirkland's organic from Costco is everything it should be from a health standpoint - and cheap. As for taste, I think it's great.
            Last edited by gdot; 05-24-2014, 07:20 AM.
            What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

            Comment


            • #7
              I have heard about store-bought olive oils being adulterated with cheaper oils; has anyone else heard about that?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                I have heard about store-bought olive oils being adulterated with cheaper oils; has anyone else heard about that?
                yup.

                The Most (and Least) Fake Extra Virgin Olive Oil Brands
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                – Ernest Hemingway

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh thanks! I'm surprised Whole foods is on the list of failed standards.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Restarting this thread b/c I'm wondering about cooking with olive oil: I looked up the smoke pt for EVOO & its 320F. Does that mean its ok to cook with it if its below that temperature? Sometimes I just prefer the taste of EVOO, like for roasted veggies. I have a jar of coconut oil but the flavor doesn't lend itself well to most recipes, & a small jar of ghee isn't very affordable for me ATM.

                    TIA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                      Restarting this thread b/c I'm wondering about cooking with olive oil: I looked up the smoke pt for EVOO & its 320F. Does that mean its ok to cook with it if its below that temperature? Sometimes I just prefer the taste of EVOO, like for roasted veggies. I have a jar of coconut oil but the flavor doesn't lend itself well to most recipes, & a small jar of ghee isn't very affordable for me ATM.

                      TIA
                      Looks like you are talking about extra virgin OO (1st cold press). I wouldn't cook with it, I would use it raw.You can cook with more refined OO (make sure it is only OO, not some fake crap), as the smoke point is higher.

                      Regarding ghee, you can make it yourself, it is very easy. Look it up on youtube.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Smoking Points of Fats and Oils, Cooking Oil Smoke Points, Whats Cooking America

                        here's a chart with the smoke points for common cooking oils. the smoke point for good olive oil is not that low. people have been using it to cook for millennia. the pufa hysteria around here is off the hook. it's a perfectly healthy oil with which to cook.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                        – Ernest Hemingway

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                          I use EVOO for cooking (roasting veggies, sautéing) b/c I don't like the taste of coconut oil. However, I'm wondering if cooking with EVOO is not good because it degrades the oil.

                          Is olive oil ok for cooking?
                          I know other good cooking fats are lard and ghee, but those are too expensive for me and not an option.
                          Lard is more expensive than olive oil? ...Are you buying the cheapest olive oil at the grocery store? Because if you are, it's probably colored soybean oil or something. Olive oil is rather notorious for that. Anyhow, I've rendered my own lard and it's much cheaper than the olive oil I buy.
                          Out of context quote for the day:

                          Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So it is ok to roast veggies or cook in a pan w/ olive oil? I'm not sure what temp my pan heats up to-whether it's below the smoke point or not.

                            I would make my own ghee but I'm avoiding dairy right now (for gut issues), so is ghee ok?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              if the oil is smoking...

                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                              – Ernest Hemingway

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X