a question on oils

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question on oils

ok so i know that EVOO and coconut oil are a go, but i'm confused in the area of some other oils. i know canola, vegetable, peanut oils are all out and i don't eat any of these anyway. what about palm oil, sunflower oil, etc? who knew there were so many oils?! i'm doing my best to navigate my way through the sea of oils when shopping for things like almond butter etc but it is confusing!
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Go by amount of linoleic acid. Lots is bad, little is good. Avocado oil at 1700mg per tbs is probably a wise threshold, as we really aren't designed to consume much of the stuff. My cap is 4g of omega 6 linoleic acid per day.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

stay away from seed oils and generic veg. oil. These are highly processed, and are subjected to extreme heating processes in manufacturing. they become unstable at high temps and cause oxidation in the blood, and increases your risk of heart disease. If you don't eat things out of bags or boxes (aka processed carbs including chips, crackers, cookies, etc) you should be good. However restaurants definitely use various vegetable oils, so when ever I do find myself at a restaurant, I order a salad and bring my own olive oil. Or you can ask things to be cooked in butter. But who knows what kind of "butter" they have back there. sigh, I trust no one.......But I only eat away from home once during the week and once on the weekends.

The book has great lists of good fats, Id say refer to it.

The only oils/fats I consider safe are EVOO, fats from avocados, nuts, coconut oil, dairy fat, poultry fat, and fish fat. stick with those, avoid chemically manufactured oils, and enjoy a lower LDL count and lowered triglycerides.

Comment

i remember the quick guide to oils in the back of the book also just searched oils on the web site and found the same information. it's tricky - you'll even find items at the health food stores that contain these bad oils. i guess it just comes down to read all lables every time!
        i will maintain the truth
        i knew naturally as a child
        i won't forfeit my creativity
        to a world that's all laid out for me
        i'll look at everything around me
        and i will vow to bear in mind
        that all of this was just someone's idea
        it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Comment

just a quick note, when I said nuts, i mean WHOLE nuts, eaten in their raw form, not bottled nut oils.

Comment

Originally posted by alexa85 View Post
            i guess it just comes down to read all lables every time!
            yes, this must always be done!

Comment

The only good commercial oils are coconut, palm, and olive.
              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                when ever I do find myself at a restaurant, I order a salad and bring my own olive oil.
                Wow...
                Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

you have no idea how many times Ive asked if a restuarant has olive oil, to hear "yes, we do", only to have some almost-clear, mystery oil brought to me. This irks me. So I bring in rebel oil. What are they gonna do, kick me out? Now Ive just got to figure out a way to smuggle in butter................perhaps some small, refrigerated sachel of some sort. perhaps.

Comment

I used to bring drinks to this buffet I used to go to, they always gave me crappy looks.
                    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

HAHAHA! refrigerated satchel
                      "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

I'm going to risk getting some harsh words thrown my way... The "trifecta" of veg oils I use are EVOO, coconut, and sesame seed. Palm oil may be good from a fat profile standpoint, but its a bit too ecologically damaging for my comfort. Sesame seed oil has high amounts of n-6 fatty acids and negligible n-3 fatty acids, but it is generally used in small amounts in comparison with EVOO, which still has an excess of omega-6s. Sesame seed oil is one of the oldest oils produced by man and therefore is not the industrial garbage that causes most of the problems in our society. Oh yeah, it's really damned delicious too, and like I said, you don't need to use too much so I don't get worried about occasionally having it.
                        Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
                        The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

I just bought some sesame seed oil today, heard it was primal.

Comment

Those are some darn fine oils darrin XD

No one will argue about evoo and coconut either
                            "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

How are you guys cooking your meals? I usually use Olive Oil and sautee my food but everything i've been reading is that it's bad to expose these oils to heat. I'd go with lard but i'm looking to drop a couple pounds and though its a healthier alternative i fear that it may be counterproductive to my goals

Comment

Working...
                              X