Help! Weight Loss Plateau

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Weight Loss Plateau

My situation is probably not unique, but I'm getting frustrated and would certainly appreciate some Help.

I've been getting gradually more Primal over the past two years, to the point where I am about 80-90% primal now. In that time I went from 220 lbs to 200 lbs. I was happy with the improvement, but felt I could do more.

So, at the beginning of April, I began using the Lose-It! iPhone app to track my food and using its plan to lose 1 lb/week (a 2100 calorie/day budget). In the first 3-4 weeks I lost 6-7 lbs. I've lost another pound since, but that's it!

Because of Lose-It! I have a good idea of how I have been eating:

Over the past 7 weeks I have eaten, on average, 2170 calories per day.
    129 g or 53.5% Calories from Fat
    123 g or 22.7% Calories from Protein (= .85 g / pound Lean Body Mass)
    126 g or 23.3% Calories from Carbohydrates

Hmm.
    Looking at the numbers, I guess I need to cut more carbs, right?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Your numbers look good. My only ? is what kind of carbs are you eating? Also, you could be gaining muscle while losing fat. One time the scale showed I had lost only 3 pounds in 4 weeks but I dropped my body fat 10%.
    Last edited by soonerfan90; 05-28-2010, 07:19 AM.

Comment

If you're looking to get leaner, try dropping your carbs to under 50g/day and upping your fats for two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerfan90 View Post
        Your numbers look good. My only ? is what kind of carbs are you eating? Also, you could be gaining muscle while losing fat. One time the scale showed I had lost only 3 pounds in 4 weeks but I dropped my body fat 10%.
        Carbs are from vegetable 80% of the time, grains and legumes 20%.

My workout routine is fairly steady these days, so I don't think I am packing on much muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasno View Post
          If you're looking to get leaner, try dropping your carbs to under 50g/day and upping your fats for two weeks.
          I would like to try this.
          Last edited by cheapo; 05-28-2010, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I'm new around here - I thought that grains and legumes were taboo...
            Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
            Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
            So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
            Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
            Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

They are. But, as I said, most of my carbs are from vegetables. Maybe 20% are from PB-blacklisted foods.

(If you're new, why are you a senior member?)

Comment

Originally posted by cheapo View Post
                (If you're new, why are you a senior member?)
                Title is from number of posts, rather than time here.

Comment

yeah, what hbeck said.
                  Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Originally posted by cheapo View Post
                    They are. But, as I said, most of my carbs are from vegetables. Maybe 20% are from PB-blacklisted foods.
                    I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about, but what about cutting those out and see if it helps?
                    Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

This question has many answers depending on your current "leanness".
                      Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Hey cheapo,

You might want to try and raise your calories for a week or so, 7 weeks of calorie restriction may be enough to slow weight loss down. I would try to bump up to a maintenance level maybe a little more mostly from fat for a week or so and then drop back down and see if that helps. worked for me last time I stalled. I am planning on using this weekend to bump up calories a bit because I have been restricting calories for 5 straight weeks and my weightloss has slowed. According to fitday I have averaged 2210 calories a day for the last 4 weeks (fitday can't calculate 5 weeks), of that 66% fat 26% protein and 8% carbs. I have really been keeping the carbs down. I have burned an average of about 3100 calories a day if the fitday calculator is correct. I lost 7 pounds in the first 3.5 weeks, but have been stuck at 206 since then. I am hoping a long weekend of eating more calories helps me start loosing again.
                        Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Originally posted by chima_p View Post
                          This question has many answers depending on your current "leanness".
                          This should give you an idea where I am at.

Comment

As mentioned before, you may want to try a 'refeed' day or meal. It could help to get your hormones back in to burning mode. By refeed I mean a gluttonous day or meal full of carbs and sweets.

Track your weight for the next week after that and see if you can't get lower than you were before the meal.

Also, fasted low intensity cardio, as such as walking in the morning 2-3x a week can help. 1-2x a week of hill sprinting or other intermittent high intensity cardio for 15-30min may help spark some calorie burn/growth hormone release.

Comment

Originally posted by RSL View Post
                              I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about, but what about cutting those out and see if it helps?
                              actually that is probably the best advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X