How to use ghee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use ghee

I've been hearing about ghee here, and I saw some at Whole Foods Market and bought it. Now, what do I do with it?
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Cook with it as you would any oil. It's just clarified butter. It doesn't taste like butter, though. And it has a higher smoke point than butter. I use it a lot.

Comment

Ghee is butter with all the solids removed, so it can withstand much higher temperatures without burning. So I like to use it for sauteing, frying, and the like.
      Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
      The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

Does it have health benefits above using butter, or is is only preferable because of the smoke point?
        Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Some say it is preferable due to lower casein/other milk proteins content, even though I think casein is pretty low in butter too.

Comment

I didn't like the taste of cooking with pure coconut oil, so I really didn't do it much, now I cook almost everything in coconut ghee, my ratio is about 2 parts coconut oil to one part ghee now but i started 50-50 and increased the coconut oil gradually. I don't know if it is any healthier than cooking with butter which I sometimes still do, but it sure is convenient that coconut ghee does not need refrigeration.
            Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

What is coconut ghee?

Comment

I think he means that he mixes ghee with coconut oil to make his own coconut ghee. Am I right, Kev?
                Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I just used ghee. I scrambled my 3 eggs in 1 Tbs. of it. It looked different than melted butter in the pan - more like oil. But it cooked the eggs nicely and the flavor was good. I guess I like it!
                  Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RSL View Post
                    I think he means that he mixes ghee with coconut oil to make his own coconut ghee. Am I right, Kev?
                    My local health foodstore sells coconut ghee. I just found that out last night doing a search of thier website. Can't wait to buy some this weekend so I can try it.

Comment

I have ghee and I have coconut oil, and sometimes I use them both at once - so I guess that's coconut ghee!

Comment

Mark did a post a few months back on making homemade coconut ghee. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-and-ghee/ for me it was a revelation because I knew all the good stuff about coconut oil, I didn't enjoy the taste. I went from one part ghee one part oil to one part ghee two parts coconut oil. I highly recommend it, but making the ghee is a little messy.
                        Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Working...
                        X