Acceptable amount of nuts per day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable amount of nuts per day

What would be considered an acceptable amount of nuts to eat in a day without over doing it, if you can even over do it with nuts. I'm trying to limit my Fruit intake due to the amount of Carbs in them. I'm guessing probably 1 cup max so I don't overdo the carbs but wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks.
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

It depends on your current omega 3 and 6 ratio. Many nuts are high in Omega 6 and its really all about balance. If you are currently at a low ratio, then you could afford a serving a day (1/4 cup). Even with good ratio's I would not go much more than a few serviings a day...
    Last edited by kansascitysteve; 05-28-2010, 12:00 PM. Reason: sentence correction...

Comment

Thanks!
      ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

Everyone is different but as a rule of thumb, I generally limit my consumption to an ounce or two a day.

Using my kitchen scale, I have determined that a handful is about an ounce.

Comment

I remember after a 36 hour fast i ate a whole can of cashews @_@
          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

They're a weakness. I've replaced my sweet tooth and my chip munching with nuts. I IF until dinner and after dinner I munch on nuts, way too many nuts.
            Last edited by Grol; 05-29-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

hahaha, nuts over chips ANY DAY!
              "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

Comment

A couple days ago I ate 4 ounces of pistashios. Doesn't sound like a real biggie but one ounce is 49 nuts, so 4 ounces is nearly 200 nuts!! It didn't affect my weight at all but I wasn't hungry for a long time after that!

Comment

I'm a huge fan of cashews. That being said, I don't keep too much of 'em around. The problem with nuts is that they are traditionally a seasonal food and quite difficult to eat large quantities of (each nut comes in a difficult-to-crack shell). Hence, we humans didn't start eating large quantities of them year-round until recently. The main problem with nuts is, as noted by others, the large amounts of omega-6 fats. That being said, if you have ditched most of the processed foods, with their high amounts of processed vegetable oils, a handful of nuts every now and then isn't going to kill you.
                  Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
                  The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

I agree with the others about the amounts. As long as you are not binging you are probably fine. Although I've read in several places that if you are really attempting to lose some fat weight that nuts should be pretty limited or removed for a while... same goes for many fruits.

I kinda treat most fruits and nuts the same - I eat them both all the time, daily in fact, but in moderation - a banana is great but eating a whole ream of em is a heck of a lot of calories, carbs, and sugars all at once and is probably a bad idea.

Comment

When it comes to nuts and berries, I try to have a handful or less per week, to try to emulate how frequently I might encounter them in the wild. Of course, this being spring, I should probably not eat any at all, then.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

After eating those cashews i felt super charged, lol.

Yeah, that and bananas are what constitutes as viceful snack. We must be crazy, haha.

Comment

damn...Raw cashews are my ultimate weakness. If given the opportunity, I would eat a whole bag (275 grams) of 'em. I'm probably close to eating over 100 grams of nuts per day...I know it's alot but I figured it's better than potato chips. Also, I tend to go for the raw/natural ones instead of the roasted,salted, or however else they do their nuts...but I dunno if that makes any difference. After all that, i'm still below 100 grams of carbs a day...does that count for something?

Comment

Tons of omega 6 is probably worse than carbs actually. 100g of raw cashews is 7800g of linoleic acid which is pretty detrimental. I'd say cut that in half, make sure to soak them to remove antinutrients and add in some extra fish oil or fish to counteract it. It's better than potato chips but then again cocaine is better than crack. Cashews are definitely one of the better nuts with regards to omega 6 though.

All I will say with regards to omega 6 is that the less I consume (without consuming too little), the better my energy and body comp. Robb Wolf and probably Mark will agree wholeheartedly. Now if I can only refrain from downing 3 jars of almond butter...
                            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

lol, Stabby, you and omega 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

For me it went from a cup a day (last year) to absolutely zero. I AM FREE!
                              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Working...
                              X