Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probiotics?

Hey guys!!!

Just wondering which probiotic you all recommend??? I really am trying to work on gut health so one day I might just be able to tolerate dairy again.

Thanks for your help!

Start with fermented foods before you experiment with pills.

More cost effective, easier to take, and tastes great. Also get some good prebiotic fibers in your body for sure. You need to give your gut bugs something to eat! Take both your fermented foods and prebiotics at same time if you can. If not, don't stress it though.

I suggest taking shots of the brine if you've got some fermented veggies going on too. Trust me, you'll get used to that.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I dribble the Bubbie's sauerkraut and pickle juice on salads...seems to blend in. Maybe one of these days I'll ferment my own veggies. #todolist
      Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Energy! View Post
        I dribble the Bubbie's sauerkraut and pickle juice on salads...seems to blend in. Maybe one of these days I'll ferment my own veggies. #todolist
        Start small. Just a few cucumbers in water, salt, and a Mason jar. Give it two or three weeks, make sure they stay submerged in the water whole time and you're set.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Forgot to mention, have taken the typical probiotics from the health food store such as Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 Billion (sounds a tad hyped, no?) Recently tried the AOR Probiotic-3 which was recommended with the resistant starch (RS) regime. I had very positive results with the RS prior to taking any probiotics...I've been eating buckets of raw and cooked veggies daily for years so there already was a varied population evidently. They just needed RS, of which they had been getting little or none, since I had never heard of it.

I only take probiotics here and there (currently once or twice a week) plus fermented stuff, kefir, etc. Since bacteria are perfectly capable of reproducing on their own like crazy as long as they have enough food, I see no need to take probiotic pills constantly. Just my 2!
          Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigal View Post
            Hey guys!!!

Just wondering which probiotic you all recommend??? I really am trying to work on gut health so one day I might just be able to tolerate dairy again.

Thanks for your help!
            If you specifically lactose intolerant then it's as simple as Lactobacillus acidophilus. Also take a prebiotic to support it like GOS.

If it is complete dairy intolerance I would reset my gut with a low FODMAP diet for a month, then rebuild my gut from there using fermented sauerkraut and GOS.
            My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
            Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
              Start small. Just a few cucumbers in water, salt, and a Mason jar. Give it two or three weeks, make sure they stay submerged in the water whole time and you're set.
              How much salt? How much water? Two-Three weeks room temp? or refrigerator?
              Days up and down they come
              Like rain on a conga drum
              Forget most, remember some
              But don't turn none away

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigal View Post
                I really am trying to work on gut health so one day I might just be able to tolerate dairy again.
                If this is your goal, simply eat yogurt or kefir in small quantities to start and increase amounts to tolerance. If you also want all over better results then some of the suggestions above should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                  Sounds easy enough...I heard there was a book coming out in the fall on fermenting, can't recall the title...probably has "fermenting" in it.

Comment

Originally posted by spyder View Post
                    How much salt? How much water? Two-Three weeks room temp? or refrigerator?
                    Start with sauerkraut. Its the same for most any veggie (read the brine).

Making Sauerkraut | Wild Fermentation :: Wild Fermentation

Comment

How much sauerkraut? I never noticed any effect (positive or negative) from eating it, though maybe I didn't eat it regularly for long enough. Only supplemental probiotics seem to have any effect on my gut =\
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        How much sauerkraut? I never noticed any effect (positive or negative) from eating it, though maybe I didn't eat it regularly for long enough. Only supplemental probiotics seem to have any effect on my gut =\
                        Might be the diversity of species in the pills. Different bugs = different beneficial byproducts

Comment

Originally posted by Energy! View Post
                          Might be the diversity of species in the pills. Different bugs = different beneficial byproducts
                          I suppose so. Yogurt never helped me either.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            I suppose so. Yogurt never helped me either.
                            Every veggie, dairy product, meat, fish, herb, spice, anything at all you ferment will produce its own unique mix of gut bugs. So ferment lots of different foods, eat them all. Add spices and herbs, produce mixed veggie ferments, learn to lactoferment fruit (can be done with some jiggering)...

Trying only one or two things a few times is no reason to give up!

Also, taking prebiotics at the same time as you ingest your ferments will increase the likely hood of things making their way to your gut as they are supposed to.

Comment

I hate suggesting this, but have you tried goat dairy? I know it sounds stupid, but I recently chugged a quart of goat milk with no ill effect and continue to eat goat dairy products whereas half a teaspoon of cow's butter puts me completely out of commission.

For your consideration. Otherwise I like Florastor, Culturelle, sauerkraut or kombucha for probiotics.

Comment

Working...
                              X