Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me. This is regarding my father who recently had a heart attack.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me. This is regarding my father who recently had a heart attack.

My father had a heart attack in december..he is ok and still kicking however Ive become in charge of the way he eats for the most part. Now most doctors are telling me that he should have low fat versions of types of foods (low fat butter/cheese/milk etc) and stay away from saturated fatty meats (dark meat, non-lean red meat, bacon etc) but he can have "good fats" (avocados/olive oil/almonds) however, me being a primal eater I feel really torn on how I should have him eat...
    To be completely honest - I do primal eating for weight loss and its by far the easiest diet for me EVER but I really don't completely know much about the health aspect of it all (I know, horrible.)...but now this is my dads LIFE at stake which is a whole other ball game.
    Basically my question - do you believe that a man in his 60s who has already had a heart attack should be eating 3 eggs and bacon for breakfast everyday instead of oatmeal? I want to say yes because I do it and I feel amazing but at the same time I'm just not 100% sure...am I letting conventional crap i've always been taught get in the way? I'm just terrified for my fathers life and don't have a clue what to have him eat. any opinions/information would be so appreciated.

Thank you
    *A
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

I don't know about bacon and eggs, omega 6 fatty acids are the dangerous ones and bacon and eggs are loaded with them. A big mistake that many make is eating more fat but eating the wrong kinds of fat. A few omega 3 enriched eggs, some fish, a good hefty dose of fish oil with some coconut oil, some vegetables, maybe some real pork or steak would be better. It depends on the bacon quality though. Oatmeal? Pah.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/5/1175

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2009.27725v1
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Check out this post

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...-survival.html

there are a few other posts on there about heart attack, cholesterol and Hba1c.

Comment

Ooh yeah that's a good one. In fact just read Peter's entire blog. That should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
          My father had a heart attack in december..he is ok and still kicking however Ive become in charge of the way he eats for the most part. Now most doctors are telling me that he should have low fat versions of types of foods (low fat butter/cheese/milk etc) and stay away from saturated fatty meats (dark meat, non-lean red meat, bacon etc) but he can have "good fats" (avocados/olive oil/almonds) however, me being a primal eater I feel really torn on how I should have him eat...
          To be completely honest - I do primal eating for weight loss and its by far the easiest diet for me EVER but I really don't completely know much about the health aspect of it all (I know, horrible.)...but now this is my dads LIFE at stake which is a whole other ball game.
          Basically my question - do you believe that a man in his 60s who has already had a heart attack should be eating 3 eggs and bacon for breakfast everyday instead of oatmeal? I want to say yes because I do it and I feel amazing but at the same time I'm just not 100% sure...am I letting conventional crap i've always been taught get in the way? I'm just terrified for my fathers life and don't have a clue what to have him eat. any opinions/information would be so appreciated.

Thank you
          *A
          I am a heart attack survivor (almost age 49) and I am eating primal. One thig I *had* to do (there was no option here as far as I was concerned) was lower the sodium/salt in my diet to zero. I feel much better eating this way. I do not currently eat any pork products but when I did eat it I had to soak my bacon overnight to leech the salt out of it......even the lower sodium varieties had to be soaked. I have learned to use herbs and spices for flavour instead of salt (he can still have pepper). I have stopped using commercially made salad dressings/mayonaise because of sodium and soy oil they put in it and now make my own condiments as I need them. So much better and tastier.

I eat 4 eggs every morning, drink lots of water or tea and eat a lot of fish, seafood, chicken and beef, avocadoes, olive oil, a few nuts now and then and greens....and dark chocolate once a month or less. If I cheat, I cheat with fruit. I do not trim the fat off anything and will sometimes consume the drippings from the pans. I do not eat dairy (no butter) but that is simply because dairy stuffs up my sinuses and makes my acne flare up(I have PCOS). This weekend I am going to get some coconut oil to try because I keep hearing good things about it. I feel *so good* it is amazing but if I eat the way my doctor wanted me too then I would feel sick all over again. Grains (like oatmeal) just nake me feel bloated and gross and when I feel like that I experience lethargy, fatigue and chest pain. When I eat primally I feel great and no pain at all and I have tons of energy. The only meds I currently take is one 500mg aspirin daily.
          I also take an omega 3 supplement, and a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D supplement.

I hope this helps.

Comment

In fact just read Peter's entire blog. That should do it.
            +1
            The Heart Scan and Stephan's Blog are also great sources of info. Best of lucks.
            “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
            "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

thanks to all who replied..i really appreciate it! *off to read these blogs*
              The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

Here's another good blog, not to overwhelm you!
                http://coolinginflammation.blogspot....mmatory%20diet
                Here's what he says about sat fat: Saturated fats appear to be problematical primarily if chronic inflammation is established. Saturated fats are healthy in the absence of inflammation.

The first step would be to get inflammation under control in his body before adding back in fatty meats and such. If you check out Nutrition Data it gives the inflammation rating of every food. Grains and sugars are definately bad. Dairy is pretty inflammatory regardless of whether it's low fat or not so I would use the full fat stuff in moderation if at all. Olive oil, fish, and spinach and other leafy greens are very anti-inflammatory as well as a lot of other veggies. Turmeric is a good spice to use too. I definately second the low salt advice. Did the docs advise him to take fish oil supplements? That could be very helpful as well. I hope you can get him feeling as good as you in no time, good luck!

Comment

There are some studies that show that saturated fats aren't good in the case of advanced ischemic heart disease. (probably the inflammation link, as listed above). Keep in mind that most animal fats (like steak) have loads of heart healthy oleic acid (like olive oil) and not that much saturated fat, percentage wise. He might want to avoid the pure sat fats though during early recovery (though vit K2 is hugely important for cardiovascular health and is only found in high sat fat animal products like marrow or butter - you can supplement with a bit of butter oil (google price factor x butter oil). Also make sure his vitamin d is topped off.

Comment

I wouldn't bash on palmitic acid from meat too hard. For one it's hard to get lots of monounsaturated fat alone without lots of linoleic acid, and carbs convert to palmitic acid and circulate for a bit so a big ol' slab of beef is amongst the best things to eat. People have to eat something and that something should ideally have some nutrients.

Comment

@bisous

Please post those studies. I am sure most have been beaten to death, for not having been done properly. It would be nice to see at least one that is done properly and provides a real basis for saturated fat fear.

As far as I know. Saturated fat is the most stable, ie hardest to oxidize, which is one of the major reason of heart disease. It is required for stability of arteries, ie prevents crack formation, keeps your arteries in good health. All natural fats which are low in Omega6 fats are also high in saturated fats. Except for Olive oil which can be low Omega6 (<4%) or it could be high (>20%). So if you get the low omega6 olive oil, it could be a good source of low saturated fat but safe oil. They don't advertise based on Omega6 content though.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil

I don't see how we can improve heart health without eating saturated fats.

Comment

My dad had 6 heart attacks, he never felt the shakiness after.....maybe it could be her medications? Everyone is different, though. But, I have never heard of any complaints like that. Has she been eating good? It could be a blood sugar problem. If she is not happy with what her doctor has told her....she needs to get a second opinion from another cardiologist. If she is not feeling right, she needs to seek another opinion, soon just in case it's a side affect from the meds...or something else is going on, that her first doc. didn't catch

Comment

SheGlows, I was in a very similar situation only a few months ago, after my dad had open heart surgery to have his aorta replaced. He didn't have a heart attack, but it was other genetic circumstances that led to the replacement. Anyway, I went out to Arizona for 4 days to cook for him/load up his freezer, and had to give a lot of thought as to what I would stock his freezer with. I decided that, in order to get him eating better overall, and to not completely anger the cardiologist, we'd go with a lot of fresh and frozen produce, avocados, fish, dark meat poultry, olive oil, some nuts, and full fat dairy. I wasn't going to bend on the dairy, because there's literally no reason to eat reduced fat dairy. I also talked with him about eggs, and told him to either buy the omega-3 enriched eggs or find a pastured source (luckily, his brother has laying chickens!), and after talking about cholesterol he agreed with me that eating eggs for breakfast wouldn't hurt him. We didn't eat bacon, and I didn't feed him any fatty steaks, but I did give him a good starting point. Luckily, he started reading the Primal Blueprint while I was there, and kept researching grain-free eating after I left, so I know he's in better shape than before I got there

Best of luck to you, I hope you can find a good balance for your dad!
                          You are what you eat,
                          and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Keep in mind the hormonal environment of someone with bad ischemic heart disease or advanced diabetes is different than the environment of someone who doesn't have those conditions. I think sat fats are perfectly healthy and certainly preferred to PUFAs for most everyone, it's only those two conditions I'm a bit sketchy about, and I think the jury is still out on them.

Some studies and textbook references:
                            PLoS Med. 2010 Mar 23;7(3):e1000252.
                            Effects on coronary heart disease of increasing polyunsaturated fat in place of saturated fat: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (*Full disclosure - I hate this study for various reasons, but it is important to look at and think about.*)

Mozaffarian D, Micha R, Wallace S.

Division of Cardiovascular Medicine and Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America. dmozaffa@hsph.harvard.edu

More studies in Food and Western Disease pp 22-23, 64

Hooper, L et al (2000) reduced or modified dietary fat for prevention of cardiovascular disease Cochrane Database Syst Review

Mann,J (2000) Diseases of the Heart and Circulation: the role of dietary factors in aetiology and management. Human nutrition and dietetics pp 689-714

I'm not trying to be scary or confusing. Also, most of the studies were of palmitic acid or other common Western dietary sat fats, not lauric acid as in coconuts. I'm just saying I believe the jury is still out on those two conditions - which aren't a normal human condition with a normal human diet, so I don't think we can use evolution to entirely lead the way on what we should recommend. Just as I think paleo starchy carbs are fine for people without insulin resistance, but you'd be silly to eat tons of starchy carbs (even paleo ones like tubers and parsnips and the like) if you have type II diabetes. Also, not clear on a really cool sat fat such as pastured butter with high amounts of CLA and K2. Those are (unfortunately) rarely consumed nowadays but I wonder if moderate consumption wouldn't be a great positive for ischemic heart disease.

Comment

A couple of comments. Inflammation rating on nutrition data is not accurate, based on CW. I mean coconut oil has 'very high' rating, they are just basing on saturated fat.

Second, maybe this is a stretch, but if your Dad does get on Primal adding beef heart (or others) a powerful way to strengthen the heart. Omega3s and sodium/potassium ratio also important.

Check out The Doctors Heart Health Cure by Dr Al Sears. Mostly primal and written several years ago. Good info for heart specific issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X