The Great Fruit Debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Fruit Debate

Ok, folks. Here's where I'm at: 107lbs 17% body fat. Attempting to gain muscle and drop a few lbs body fat (maybe get down to 10%).

So what's the deal with fruit?? I freakin' LOVE the stuff. Today and most days I had half of a banana, 12 cherries, a handful of blueberries, and a small apple. That's only about 40g carbs (I've been accurately measuring my ounces of fruit and using a nutrition tracker). I've been averaging 80-140g carbs per day, so the rest are veggies.

Is fruit really all that bad? Some on the forum say that there's no way you'll lose fat if you're eating fruit because of insulin response, etc. I'm not trying to simply lose weight, I'm trying to alter my body composition. How does fruit play into my goals? If my carbs are to be around 100g per day, what percentage of that should be from fruit and what from veggies?

*Note, I'm probably overthinking this whole thing, but I'm really trying to make progress with PB but still enjoy the foods I love! Thanks in advance for your input

Hi! I just started a thread before you with pretty much the same situation!! Some posters seem to be so anti-fruit, but I'm hoping it's not too bad...since I started pb, I swear berries taste completely different and are irresistable!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...p?9075-Berries!

Comment

There's certainly not "no way" you will lose while eating fruit. I've been doing PB and CrossFit for two months and have dropped 20 lbs without really trying or wanting to lose weight. My goals are related to fitness, health, and body fat I eat anywhere from 1-4 'servings' of fruit a day, generally picking from:
      1 small/medium apple (used to scoop almond butter, nom nom)
      1/2 cup of berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, cherries)
      1 small orange or 1 grapefruit
      1 banana

So yeah, definitely can drop weight while eating fruit. I am considering cutting back to no more than 2 servings a day to minimize my carb intake because I am trying to lose fat and build lean mass. So, more protein and less carbs.

Comment

I cut out fruit for 20 days once to see if it had any effect on my body composition; I remained the same weight, 155 with 8-9% body fat, with no changes. My diet was drab and boring without it, and an apple is far better than a candy bar, or some bread. Don't sweat the fruit. In fact, you probably shouldn't sweat anything that you can pick out of the earth or ground and eat. It's far too anal.

The only reason you should stop eating fruit is if you are diabetic and have a problem with blood sugar and insulin raises. Fruit is very easily digested and, like potatoes, a good fuel for CHO-dependent activities. If you're very worried about any potential fat gain, time your fruit intake around your workouts.

Comment

Fruitis awesome, and yeah, if your worried about it, center it around your workouts. You can burn it off no problem. Apples are amazing.
          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

I'm not a big fruit person other than as a flavoring for cooking really, but if you want to lose faster I'd recommend losing faster I'd advice dropping your carbs lower over all. Fruits do have more sugars than veggies of course, but I would not try to balance the two. Some of both won't hurt, but it's more important to have plenty of fat and protein.
            (Eat more fat is Griff's line. Not trying to steal your thunder, Griff)
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I agree the anti-fruit atmosphere appearing here is uncalled for. People are going nuts about it containing fructose, but there isn't really any scientific evidence showing fruit to be unhealthy because of its fructose content. It's basically the same as theorizing that since meat contains cholesterol and cholesterol is related to heart disease -> meat = heart disease, and we all certainly know that isn't true. Even most veggies contain some amount of fructose. I'm not saying you should chow down an apple tree, but 1-3 servings daily isn't likely to do any harm, and is probably good for you. Basically just get annoyed when people ask for comments on their diets and people start telling him/her to drop the small apple the person consumes every other day because of too high carbs and eat nothing but coconut oil / whatever...

Comment

Back home I love blueberries, strawberries, apples, pineapple. I just have a bit of it in the morning. Blueberries are phenomenal and contain a ton of antioxidants.

I wouldnt go crazy with fruit though. But I think they belong in a healthy diet.

Comment

Good advice, everyone. It's tough because a lot of people on the forums act as if fruit will totally sabotage fat loss. Glad to hear that a couple servings of fruit per day is totally primal! Seems like something Grok would've eaten at every opportunity

Comment

Mark's "carb pyramid" shows 6+ servings of veggies a day and 1-7 servings of legumes/rice/yams/nuts/fruit. So a bit of fruit certainly falls in line with PB thought, assuming you're loading up on veggies as well!

Comment

It would be a cold day in hell when someone takes my strawberries from me...

Then again I only eat a small cup of them, like everything in life, moderation is the key.

Fruits are the ocassional sugar tip I need in the weekend, so a handful of berries wont hurt you.

But if you make it a key food in your diet, it will hurt you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                        I agree the anti-fruit atmosphere appearing here is uncalled for. People are going nuts about it containing fructose, but there isn't really any scientific evidence showing fruit to be unhealthy because of its fructose content. It's basically the same as theorizing that since meat contains cholesterol and cholesterol is related to heart disease -> meat = heart disease, and we all certainly know that isn't true. Even most veggies contain some amount of fructose. I'm not saying you should chow down an apple tree, but 1-3 servings daily isn't likely to do any harm, and is probably good for you. Basically just get annoyed when people ask for comments on their diets and people start telling him/her to drop the small apple the person consumes every other day because of too high carbs and eat nothing but coconut oil / whatever...
                        so glad other people notice this! It seems like whenever someone asks for advice and that person eats some fruit, everyone advises they cut it out completely. I guess if you go zero carb you will definitely lose faster, but some people act like a single serving of fruit will stall weight loss completely. That's why I posted my thread - I kept noticing this, and wondered if it was really that big of deal. Fruit seems perfectly primal to me; I understand the carb count is higher, but I also think that's why PB gives a higher carb range than Atkins...I think fruits are something Grok would have eaten when they were in season

Comment

For me the important focus is health....weight loss is great and I am glad it happened for me, but I view it as a benefit of adopting a healthier diet than I had.

Berries are great and I consume 3/4 c of blueberries in my smoothie daily, along with spinach, kale and a 1/4 of a banana for sweetness.

You just don't want to over do it on the fruits because of the sugar content.

Comment

You are trying to get to 10% BF?? I am assuming you're a female based on your weight? How tall are you? And good LUCK! Our estrogen-driven bodies love a little bit of fat on the bones...
                            On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Slow-absorbing fructose will likely be converted to liver glycogen whereas fast-absorbing fructose will likely be packaged as triglycerides, a process that causes poor blood lipids, fatty liver disease, insulin resistance, leptin resistance, etc. The liver only has so many enzymes to convert fructose to glycogen and when there is more fructose than enzymes, that's when trouble arises. Also, once the liver is full of glycogen, of course the fructose will end up as trygs. So we have 2 points: don't eat non fiber-bound fructose and don't eat assloads of fruit at one time. My arbitrary guess is anywhere in the range of 20-30g of fructose from fruit per day, not all at once is a reasonable proposition in the case that one is healthy, active, and insulin-sensitive. I'm more like 15g myself from fruit and some more in vegetables but I don't feel like counting little bits in vegetables.

There is also the issue of fructose's affinity for glycation and the formation of AGES. This is partially resolved in fruit by various phytonutrients like quercetin and rutin which inhibit AGE formations.
                              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X