Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 days until my wedding day AND I'm a Vegan - can Primal work for me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 days until my wedding day AND I'm a Vegan - can Primal work for me?

Hey guys,

I am an ethical vegan (for religious and spiritual reasons) and getting married in less than 100 days and want to lose at least 10-20lbs.

I've practiced cutting the carbs and try to work out a few times a week, but the scale keeps fluctuating and I can't keep weight off.

A friend has been slowly introducing me to the Primal Blueprint, and I would love to incorporate it as a long lasting lifestyle change, but I most immediately need help finding out how to make it work for me as my main source of protein has always been beans, grains and pulses.

Is this possible?
    What should I be eating?

(I'm getting sick of berries, sweet potatoes and green tea!)

Sorry if this has been asked before - just new to the whole movement, and appreciate the direction and community support!
    Last edited by Sanjay510; 05-06-2014, 01:31 PM. Reason: more details

Dont go paleo unless you want to end up fat and at a much higher risk for developing chronic disease.

VEGAN IS THE WAY. Cut way down on your fat, load up on fruit, starches, etc.... Good luck

Comment

Without animal products for protein, you would have a very hard time. Primal isn't primal without meat.

The closest you'll get is Whole30 for vegetarians. Whole30 for vegetarians - Whole9

Beyond that, you need to look at your activity level and your caloric intake. Are you snacking? Are you eating calorie-dense foods like nuts?
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by Giantsbran View Post
        Dont go paleo unless you want to end up fat and at a much higher risk for developing chronic disease.

VEGAN IS THE WAY. Cut way down on your fat, load up on fruit, starches, etc.... Good luck
        This is a stupid response. There are absolutely no purely vegetarian societies, just like there are absolutely no pure carnivorous societies. And if you have a clue how human physiology works, you'd know any nutrient is more bioavailable from an animal than a vegetable because vegetable nutrition must be converted (beta carotene vs retinol, ALA-omega 3 vs DHA/EPA, K2 MK-7 vs K2 MK-4, etc) and conversion is highly inefficient. We are not suited for either diet, but would likely thrive better as a carnivore than a vegetarian if we were to eat raw, fresh kills where meat is glycogen-rich and contains fermentable fibers.

You're not going to get what you want being any kind of vegetarian. To be optimal, you need to have some type of animal nutrition, be it eggs, milk, fish or land animals. You don't have to eat beef, you don't have to eat pork...but in order to be your best, you must be an omnivore.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Um, I have nothing to contribute unfortunately, but what there is left to eat for a low-carb primal vegan? Greens and nuts?

Comment

Are you looking to stay vegan, go to vegetarian, or switch over to primal entirely? I don't think you can stay vegan and still really be following a primal diet (animal protein is pretty important), but there are some vegetarians on this site who may be helpful. At a minimum, cage-free pastured eggs and grass-fed dairy products might be a good start.

Comment

In some experiments, people have eaten diets comprised almost entirely of potatoes for long periods of time while maintaining good health and muscle mass. If I had to go vegan, I would eat many potatoes.
              My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by LindyCG View Post
                Are you looking to stay vegan, go to vegetarian, or switch over to primal entirely? I don't think you can stay vegan and still really be following a primal diet (animal protein is pretty important), but there are some vegetarians on this site who may be helpful. At a minimum, cage-free pastured eggs and grass-fed dairy products might be a good start.
                Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Yes. I am aware that animal proteins are a cornerstone of the Primal lifestyle - but for ethical reasons (free range/grass fed or not) I still disagree with the way animals are treated for food today and am not going to be incorporating that into my diet.

I really believe in the core laws and and beliefs of primal, but just want to learn how to adopt the lifestyle with this dietary restriction.

Can anyone tell me what I should be eating (besides animal proteins)?

Comment

So, just to be clear, eggs are totally out? Even if they're wandering around foraging all day and are basically pets who happen to poop out awesome food?

This is my situation with my neighbor who has chickens. Delicious eggs.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    So, just to be clear, eggs are totally out? Even if they're wandering around foraging all day and are basically pets who happen to poop out awesome food?

Sent via lightsaber
                    If there are only hens (no rooster nearby) the eggs are not viable living beings, why let them go to waste? The hens don't want them so you may as well eat them. We have hens and no rooster, it's pretty common to raise chickens this way. If you see the way hens react to roosters you'd be hard pressed to say they are happier with them, so maybe it's more ethical to raise hens w/o roosters.

The other option is to eat oysters, Mark's discussed eating oysters. The fact is you may lose weight attempting to eat primal vegan (whatever that means) but I'm pretty sure you'd end up being nutritionally deficient and unhealthy, not a very nice way to start off your marriage.
                    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post

Sent via lightsaber

Thanks for the suggestions guys - yes, eggs are (unfortunately) totally out :/

Here's why specifically:

I've read in MANY blogs that eggs from 'free range/cage free chickens' often aren't 100% true or are misleading because they are still ill-treated and just do the bare minimum to be able to put that labeling on their carton of eggs (which by the way, some argue isn't a regulated process that's actually checked either) -- Mr. Anthony, your situation is ideal, if I had access to such animals I might consider it.

Second, I am a Hindu. Orthodox Hinduism considers eggs to be meat (whether they are fertilized or not) - Hindus don't eat meat/meat products for many reasons (mainly for Karma and practicing non-violence). Even if I choose to eat unfertilized cruelty free eggs, it would make my fiance very uncomfortable and cause disharmony in our home.

So unfortunately... eggs are out for me.
                      (and so are oysters, for the same two reasons above)

Is there anything else I should be eating besides veggies, greens, berries, almonds and healthy fats?

Comment

Vegan as Primal? I can see vegetarian but... I honestly can't see how this would work. You'd end up eating nothing but vegetables... you would certainly get sick. I would recommend oysters and see if you can find pastured eggs that can work for you.
                        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjay510 View Post
                          Thanks for the suggestions guys - yes, eggs are (unfortunately) totally out :/

Here's why specifically:

I've read in MANY blogs that eggs from 'free range/cage free chickens' often aren't 100% true or are misleading because they are still ill-treated and just do the bare minimum to be able to put that labeling on their carton of eggs (which by the way, some argue isn't a regulated process that's actually checked either) -- Mr. Anthony, your situation is ideal, if I had access to such animals I might consider it.

Second, I am a Hindu. Orthodox Hinduism considers eggs to be meat (whether they are fertilized or not) - Hindus don't eat meat/meat products for many reasons (mainly for Karma and practicing non-violence). Even if I choose to eat unfertilized cruelty free eggs, it would make my fiance very uncomfortable and cause disharmony in our home.

So unfortunately... eggs are out for me.
                          (and so are oysters, for the same two reasons above)

Is there anything else I should be eating besides veggies, greens, berries, almonds and healthy fats?
                          Oh, I see, nevermind... well, that's about it. You might want to include beans even if they're not primal. Other than that, good luck.
                          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

How would following the entire lifestyle, but allowing myself soy (organic and clean only) work?
                            Maybe I eat just organic tofu and whole soy beans? But still followed the 10 laws as best as I could.

Would that make sense?

Comment

Tempeh is better than tofu (in terms of taste and the primal blueprint). It also looks like soy black beans might be okay, as well as edamame.

See http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-th...#axzz2yR9Dm31k

Comment

Working...
                              X