Grass Fed Beef

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass Fed Beef

How important is it really? I still have my organic grass fed butter and organic cage free eggs, but I just can't afford grass fed beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Originally posted by smerchant@plusd.org View Post
    How important is it really? I still have my organic grass fed butter and organic cage free eggs, but I just can't afford grass fed beef.

From what I have read, the nutritional differences are measurable but likely insignificant. I buy grass-fed for the taste and I like the idea of supporting my local producer and not supporting inhumane feedlots. The idea of eating meat from a probably heavily medicated, diseased cow that has spent its last days (months?) in a crowded feedlot wallowing around in mud up to its knees is just too gross for me to handle.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 05-06-2014, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
      From what I have read, the nutritional differences are measurable but likely insignificant. I buy grass-fed for the taste and I like the idea of supporting my local producer and not supporting inhumane feedlots. The idea of eating meat from a probably heavily medicated, diseased cow that has spent its last days (months?) in a crowded feedlot wallowing around in mud up to its knees is just too gross for me to handle.
      This. The greater returns are seen with just getting humans off the grains and industrial seed oils. Though for many of us, the extra nutrition and ethical implications are worth it.

Me personally: I'm on a college student salary (lol), and I buy it when I can afford it. I also buy cheaper cuts of both conventional (to save for the good stuff) and ethical (to afford it!)

Comment

Originally posted by smerchant@plusd.org View Post

Look for grass fed sausage - much less expensive.

Also look for venison and other wild game.

If you can eat them herring and sardines in cans.
        What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

I honestly feel that its benefits are undersold a little, especially when one is consuming a lot of it like I do

I also think it would help for you to find a cheaper distributor.....my local grocery store apparently sells it for $5 a pound, frequently putting it on sale for $4 when stocks are still not sold. That is not a big jump from the feedlot stuff. I can't imagine one would be unable to find a way to buy it in bulk for around those prices, if not lower.
          "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Sometimes I can find ground wagyu beef for $6 a pound. It turns out wagyu beef is grass-fed and grass-finished. It's pretty fatty and delicious so I think that's why people don't like it and why it's so cheap.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Buy in bulk and go in with some friends if needed. I just bought a half of of a grass finished cow for $3.15 a pound. That includes, burger, roasts, steaks and they throw in the organs and bones for free.

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                I honestly feel that its benefits are undersold a little, especially when one is consuming a lot of it like I do

I also think it would help for you to find a cheaper distributor.....my local grocery store apparently sells it for $5 a pound, frequently putting it on sale for $4 when stocks are still not sold. That is not a big jump from the feedlot stuff. I can't imagine one would be unable to find a way to buy it in bulk for around those prices, if not lower.
                I agree with this. Luckily, my local farm sells grass-fed ground beef around what regular organic ground beef is at the store. I'm on a divorced father income but I can't make myself buy anything else. I love that place and the people that run it.

Comment

Sounds like I should try to find a way to keep it. What about organic cage free eggs? How important are those?

Comment

Ethical concerns aside, as long as you are getting lean meats the difference is not significant to matter.

Eggs would be more important imo. Get either organic or eggs from "pastured" birds. Depending on your area the latter can be found really inexpensive on Craigslist sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Sometimes I can find ground wagyu beef for $6 a pound. It turns out wagyu beef is grass-fed and grass-finished. It's pretty fatty and delicious so I think that's why people don't like it and why it's so cheap.
                      Wagyu can actually be fed grain (and usually are). The Wagyu name actually means very little, generally just that the cow is related to the Wagyu (Japanese-style) cows in Japan. (Generally 1 of 4 specific breeds.) If you are getting American "Wagyu", it's likely only 50% Wagyu.

Unless it says grass-fed, I'd doubt it is. Traditionally it takes grains and supplemental feed (and beer) in order to get the kind of fattiness that Wagyu and Kobe beef is known for. Also pastured cows tend to be leaner, the act of a cow moving around does wonders for it's figure compared to be locked up in tight pens. However, it does appear that Wagyu beef DOES have a better fat breakdown than other cows, so it's still a safe bet that it's a good alternative to regular beef.

Sadly, even "grass-fed" doesn't mean fully grass fed. The realities of drought and lack of pasture land means that even good intentioned ranchers have to supplement feed their cows. But that's okay, can't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Comment

I eat quite a lot of ground beef and absolutely make sure that it is grass fed. Other cuts like steaks and roasts I wouldn't be as concerned about.

Comment

Originally posted by bob loblaw View Post
                          Sadly, even "grass-fed" doesn't mean fully grass fed. The realities of drought and lack of pasture land means that even good intentioned ranchers have to supplement feed their cows. But that's okay, can't let perfect be the enemy of good.
                          That is why it is good to know your local supplier. I am not saying it will never happen, but so far my supplier has always had plenty of hay to get through the winter.

Comment

re: eggs - Have you checked your local farmer's market? Yuba City Certified Farmers Market in Yuba City California profile at farmers market online

We get a flat of 30 pastured eggs for $8.

(Love the Craigslist idea too, thanks!)

Comment

Yuba City is hard for me to get to. I have young twins that make even that short trip difficult. I might try out the Marysville Farmer's Market though.

Comment

Working...
                              X