I ony get 824 calories per day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
    I wasn't trying for a ratio. I just put in the ratios to show what they were after I came up with the other numbers. Here is the way I did it:

I took my LBM of 83.3 pounds and multiplied it by 0.5 to get my protein.
    I added in my 20 grams of carbs.
    I added in enough fat to get me up to around 70% of my total calories.

I still don't get how this adds up to the 824 calories. That was my question.

Ratios are not what matter - it's getting the right amount of each macronutrient for my body size and activity level.

We're talking about the same thing. You trying to get the right amount of each macronutrient is trying to get the right ratio of fat to protein to carb. I think the issue is you're taking 70% fat as a static percentage like the carbs and protein, and I think that's where the problem is coming up.

From listening to people around here and seeing their stats, the fat ratio (percentage) is going to vary depending on that particular person's required amount of protein and carbs. So you figure out the protein you need, figure out your personal carb limit, and then add in fat for the rest of the calories needed to get you to the calorie level you need to be at. That amount might end up being 50% of your diet, or 85% of your diet, depending on the other factors. The fat percentage (ratio) is the flexible one...

So someone eating much lower in carbs like you (and me) will have a higher amount of fats in order to get where we need to be calorie-wise. For me that's 1400.

Since I'm even confusing myself, I looked and here's where Mark explains it and he's SOOO much better than I am (scroll down to fats) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...l-eating-plan/

Ditto though on the stress and taking it easy. I know from experience that many things, including stress, can stall your weight loss no matter what you do. And surgery is a HUGE physical stress, as is recovery, so be kind to yourself.

Also... just tossing this in the ring... have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Having low d can stall weight loss as well, so just another piece of the puzzle...
    I used Mark's formula from the book and figured this out:

My BMR is 1311. My total daily calorie expenditure is 1571.

In order to lose 1 pound per week, I would have to eat 1071 calories per day. That's still pretty low. So that would look like this:

1071 calories
    87g fat (73.1%)
    42g protein (15.7%) (LBM x 0.5)
    30g carbs (11.2%)
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Oh, and I take 5000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day, and I am having that tested in a couple of days.
      Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Alzen View Post
        One thought about the protein intake, if you're recovering from surgery you may need more protein than an otherwise healthy individual due to the repair your body is undertaking. The higher protein intakes for when you're working out are to repair tissue if I'm not mistaken, which is essentially what your body is doing now.
        This is an excellent point, and something I didn't think of before. Even if eating more protein somehow stalls your weight loss, or causes a slight gain, you want to make sure you can recover effectively!
        "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Consider this:

Since your body is recovering from surgery it needs all the materials available like amino acids, fatty acids, cholesterol to repair and grow new tissue. Perhaps since you are losing LBM the recovery process is actually catabolising your LBM to provide the materials to your resource pool. I would suggest increasing your resource pool (EAT MORE FOOD) until you stop losing LBM. Then once you are recovered you can worry about losing the fat.

If 80g of protein did not work then up protein until it does.

1500 cal

100g protein
          30g carb
          110g fat

or

140g protein
          30g carb
          90g fat

I would not worry about ratios or "getting enough fat". Since you are probably in a catabolic state it will be near impossible to mobilize fat stores and primed for fat storage anyway. I would worry about conserving LBM.

Feel better!
          Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

I looked back to my spreadsheets to see what I have actually been eating for this past several weeks.

Week ending March 6, 2010 - lifted weights and did low level cardio 3 times that week.
            1739 calories
            137g fat (71%)
            101g protein (23%) (LBM 86.1 x 1.2)
            25g carbs (6%)
            I gained 1.6 pounds this week.

Week ending March 13, 2010 - lifted weights and did low level cardio 3 times that week
            1729 calories
            133g fat (69%)
            98g protein (23%) (LBM 85.8 x 1.1)
            35g carbs (8%)
            I gained 0.2 pounds this week.

Week ending March 20, 2010 - ill and no exercise
            1874 calories
            145g fat (69%)
            96g protein (21%) (LBM 85.5 x 1.1)
            47g carbs (10%)
            I lost 0.6 pounds this week.

Week ending March 27, 2010 - ill and no exercise
            1825 calories
            136g fat (67%)
            97g protein (21%) (LBM 85.3 x 1.1)
            53g carbs (12%)
            I lost 2.2 pounds this week.

Week ending April 3, 2010 - ill and no exercise
            1808 calories
            137g fat (68%)
            94g protein (21%) (LBM 85 x 1.1)
            49g carbs (11%)
            I gained 0.6 pounds this week.

Week ending April 10, 2010 - ill and no exercise
            1897 calories
            145g fat (69%)
            99g protein (21%) (LBM 84.8 x 1.2)
            49g carbs (10%)
            I lost 1.2 pounds this week.

Week ending April 17, 2010 - surgery and in the hospital
            I was eating what they fed me. I have no idea about the numbers.
            I gained 6.6 pounds this week from surgery and drugs.

Week ending April 24, 2010 - in the hospital for the first 3 days of the week. These numbers are for the last 4 days of the week.
            1930 calories
            145g fat (68%)
            98g protein (20%) (LBM 84.5 x 1.2)
            57g carbs (12%)
            I lost 6 pounds this week, surgery weight, and back to where I started before surgery.

Week ending May 1, 2010 - post op and no exercise.
            1965 calories
            146g fat (67%)
            117g protein (24%) (LBM 84.3 x 1.4)
            46g carbs (9%)
            I lost 1 pound this week.

Week ending May 8, 2010 - post op and no exercise.
            1993 calories
            150g fat (68%)
            110g protein (22%) (LBM 84 x 1.3)
            50g carbs (10%)
            I gained 0.8 pounds this week.

Week ending May 15, 2010 - post op and no exercise. My first week of Primal Blueprint.
            1450 calories
            110g fat (68%)
            76g protein (21%) (LBM 83.8 x 0.9)
            40g carbs (11%)
            I lost 2.4 pounds this week. This made me feel good about PB, obviously! I hadn't really lost any weight for months.

Week ending May 22, 2010 - post op and no exercise. My second week of Primal Blueprint.
            1472 calories
            113g fat (69%)
            77g protein (21%) (LBM 83.5 x 0.9)
            36g carbs (10%)
            My weight stayed the same this week.

Week ending May 29, 2010 - post op and no exercise. My third week of Primal Blueprint, first 4 days of the week.
            1424 calories
            110g fat (70%)
            75g protein (21%) (LBM 83.3 x 0.9)
            34g carbs (9%)
            I gained 0.2 pounds so far this week. The first day of the week, I lost 1 pound, but in the next few days, I gained it back.

Am I the only one who thinks there is no rhyme or reason to this?
            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

RSL,

It takes time for a person's body to heal after being diagnosed with thyroid disease and that's AFTER you've been on an optimal level of meds for a while. You just had a med increase so I am not surprised you are not losing weight. I am also not surprised that you are losing muscle. Your body is trying to heal and you're are telling it/trying to lose weight.

IMO, now is not the time to focus on weight loss. Your focus should be on healing-- your metabolism, your body from surgery.The fact that you have other hormonal issues supports my premise that your focus should be on getting optimally treated for your imbalances, eat the appropriate foods in adequate amounts to enhance your healing and exercise, when you can, in a manner that promotes healing. Once you are hormonally balanced, your body's composition will follow suit if your eating and exercising is primal.

I was diagnosed hypo 10 years ago. I have other hormonal issues as well. I have only been able to lose weight and keep it off in the last 18 months. I believe my success is because I fought for optimal medical treatment and changed my mindset. I decided to eat and exercise to get and stay healthy. I stopped focusing on the weight.Once I changed the focus and was living in a healthier way my body changed. I have lost 60+ lbs. I am happy about that, but even happier that blood work shows I am healthy.

I would be interested in seeing your thyroid numbers, including reference ranges.

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                RSL,

You just had a med increase so I am not surprised you are not losing weight. I am also not surprised that you are losing muscle. Your body is trying to heal and you're are telling it/trying to lose weight.
                The med increase I just got has not started yet. It will start in about 10 days. I have been gaining fat and losing muscle for 9 months now, even though I have been eating low carb. I was even losing muscle during the time I was lifting weights. That was due to my non-existent testosterone. Also, my surgery was only a few weeks ago, and this problem has been going on for 9 months. Also, according to my doctor, I am, at this point, healed from the surgery. My body should not still be in "healing mode".

IMO, now is not the time to focus on weight loss. Your focus should be on healing-- your metabolism, your body from surgery.The fact that you have other hormonal issues supports my premise that your focus should be on getting optimally treated for your imbalances, eat the appropriate foods in adequate amounts to enhance your healing and exercise, when you can, in a manner that promotes healing. Once you are hormonally balanced, your body's composition will follow suit if your eating and exercising is primal.
                But how do I know what "appropriate foods" are? I know what foods are good, but I don't know the amounts.

I would be interested in seeing your thyroid numbers, including reference ranges.
                Just so you know, my doctor believes in doing tests, but he treats his patients based on their symptoms as well as their test results. That being said, here are my results from the other day:

Follicular Stimulating Hormone (FSH) is near low critical at 3.7 (range 23-116).

Total Testosterone is low normal at 99 (range 150-350).

DHEA-S is normal at 92 (range 52-400).

Ultra Estradiol is low normal at 34 (range 40-150).

Percent Free Testosterone is low normal at 0.0006 (range .14-)

Thyroid Function Test is near low critical at 0.

My progesterone was not tested this time, but when it was tested in January 2010, it had gone from almost non-existent to a little higher than normal. He is considering lowering tthat dose a little. With the level it is now, I would no longer be considered estrogen dominant. So that's good!
                Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

More protien imo.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ripped42young View Post
                    More protien imo.......
                    Thanks! But more protein than what? What I am eating now, or what I was eating before? How many grams are you suggesting?
                    Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I am confused about a few things. First I do not see the estrogen dominance you speak of. Your estradiol is below range and you say your progesterone is now a little higher than normal.

I have no idea what a "thyroid function test" is. The tests I am familiar with that test thyroid function are: TSH, free T4 and free T3. What type of doctor are you seeing and what are the symptoms he and you are treating?If your thyroid function test is 0 what is considered normal/optimal?

If you are eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day there is the possibility that a problem with conversion of T4 to T3 may be occurring. You can read more about this by googling "euthyroid sick syndrome".

Like I said I had a very hard losing weight and in fact was gaining weight, while eating low carb and walking/running 5 miles/day on the treadmill. I had to get my meds optimized and allow my body time to heal from not having enough hormone to function properly.

Since you have undertreated thyroid disease I would suggest getting at least 50 grams of carbs a day, adequate protein for your body and the rest from fat. You need to eat when you're hungry and enough so that you feel satiated. I believe that consistently eating less than 1000 calories is not helping your thyroid problems.

Any strenuous exercise while being undertreated hypo is also, IMO, counterproductive. Working out hard while hypo taxes a body that is already struggling. I would suggest sticking with steady, slow, but not too long exercise, like walking.

You may be healed from the actual surgery, meaning if you had a broken leg the bone is heal, but the surgery stressed an already stressed system and the system may take longer to heal than the "broken bone".

Finally, were the tests that were run blood tests or saliva?

Comment

First I do not see the estrogen dominance you speak of. Your estradiol is below range and you say your progesterone is now a little higher than normal.
                        I did not say I have estrogen dominance. I said that I had estrogen dominance. When I first started being treated, I had almost no progesterone, and now my progesterone is a little bit high, so I no longer have estrogen dominance.

The tests I am familiar with that test thyroid function are: TSH, free T4 and free T3. What type of doctor are you seeing and what are the symptoms he and you are treating?
                        I was tested for TSH, free T3 and free T4. I am low thyroid. My dosage has just been changed from 100mg per day to 120mg per day of Thyro-Hypo, the substitute for Armour thyroid.

TSH, 3rd Generation is critical low at 0.06 (range 0.40-4.50)
                        Free T3 is normal at 323 (range 230-420)
                        Free T4 is low normal at 0.9 (range 0.40-4.50)

The term "Thyroid Function Test" is my doctor's summary of all my thyroid tests.

I am seeing Dr. Paul Savage in Chicago, a board certified anti-aging doctor who specializes in natural, bio-identical hormone replacement, including thyroid. He was featured in the book Ageless by Suzanne Somers, because he is a recognized authority on the subject of hormone replacement. I am seeing him for all the typical symptoms that go along with low hormones - unexplained weight gain, dry skin, low body temperature, mentrual irregularities, depression, anxiety, etc., plus all the regular peri-menopause stuff.

I believe that consistently eating less than 1000 calories is not helping your thyroid problems.
                        Maybe you are thinking of someone else... I have never "consistently eaten less than 1000 calories". As I mentioned, the least I have eaten has been around 1400 calories and the most has been around 1800-1900. Although, according to the PB book, I should be eating only 1071 calories per day based on my lean body mass and activity level. I do not eat this low, as I mentioned. I was only saying that it was what the book instructed me to do.

Any strenuous exercise while being undertreated hypo is also, IMO, counterproductive. Working out hard while hypo taxes a body that is already struggling. I would suggest sticking with steady, slow, but not too long exercise, like walking.
                        Again, maybe you are thinking of someone else. I did not say I was doing any strenuous exercise. I walk and I lift weights, when I am not post-op. Even the weight lifting is low reps and weight, and only 25 minutes 3 times per week. Due to my severe muscle wasting, easy weight lifting is a non-negotiable for me.

Finally, were the tests that were run blood tests or saliva?
                        Depending on the tests, it is sometimes blood and sometimes saliva. This last test was a blood test, due to the fact that the doctor was not running tests on progesterone or cortisol. The test for my next visit in October will be a saliva test.

When I started being treated, I was suffering from adrenal fatigue, but based on recent tests, my doctor says I am almost completely recovered from that.
                        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                          Since you have undertreated thyroid disease I would suggest getting at least 50 grams of carbs a day, adequate protein for your body and the rest from fat. You need to eat when you're hungry and enough so that you feel satiated. I believe that consistently eating less than 1000 calories is not helping your thyroid problems.
                          You had mentioned before that you thought I should eat "appropriate foods in adequate amounts" and I asked you what an adequate amount would be. Now you are saying I need to eat adequate protein for my body and the rest from fat. You still have not said what you thought those amounts would be.

Just saying "Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satiated" does not work for me. I would eat three or four times a day and 2000 calories. Even with the right ratios, that would just plain be too much for a person of my size and activity level.

I have written in a previous post on this thread that the book says that I should be eating 1071 calories per day. Eating 50 carbs per day with 1071 calories would look like this:

1071 calories
                          78g fat (65.6%)
                          42g protein (15.7%) (LBM of 83.3 pounds x 0.5 for sedentary)
                          50g carbs (18.7%)

I'm assuming that you disagree with this. What would you suggest, using actual numbers and not general guidelines.
                          Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I dont track calories or breakdowns for carbs, fat, protein. I usually eat something like this:
                            B- 1 whole egg + 2 whites (I dont like yolks) scrambled with cheese, 3 strips bacon, 1 cup streamed or raw veggies with butter
                            L- Spinach Salad, with grilled chicken, walnuts, 1 sliced strawberry, avocado, vinaigrette, sometimes a almond/flaxmeal muffin with butter
                            D- Meat(steak, chicken, ham, or hamburger) roasted green beans, cauliflower,or steamed cabbage in butter

I eat until I'm full. If I want or need a snack, I still use artificial sweetners and may have a small cup of sf tapioca or sugar free ice cream bar. Snacks are getting fewer and fewer & less sweetner use. Diabetes runs rampant in my family so I check BGLs and use veggies that keep my levels where I like to see them. I am not a diabetic, however.

Re your thyroid-- Your T4 (22%) and T3 (51%) are in different places in their ranges. I like to see them in approximately the same place, at least at midpoint. The fact that your T3 is so much higher it's range than your T4,says to me, that the combo drug you are taking may not be giving you enough T4. I have never heard of the thyroid med you are on and can find nothing when googling it.

My favorite thyroid site is thyroid.about.com The forum there is wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                            X