Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get enough protein / fat in my diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get enough protein / fat in my diet?

Hi. I've been eating primal for over 6 months now - and started tracking what I eat quite often using FitDay since April.

Typically, yesterday I found I'd consumed 87 grams protein, 74.6 grams carbs, 115 grams fat - total calories 1997.

I ate LOADS of meat during the day - fish at breakfast, fatty pork at lunch and dinner, veg, everything cooked in either butter, animal fat (lard) r coconut oil, heavy cream with blueberries. I eat enough not to feel hungry and seem to have stopped losing weight (I've lost about 16 pounds and now weigh around 144 at 6 foot tall)

Is this enough protein / fat? It seems to be achieving well over the RDA % in most things (calcium, potassium and magnesium are usually under).

Any advice very welcome.

Are you trying to lose weight, and if so why... (sorry, my keyboard is not letting me use question marks, though only on this site I think).

Comment

No, I'm not trying to lose weight. Starting to eat PB was mainly to try to improve my asthma - which it has done spectacularly. Totally stopped taking steroids! The weight loss was incidental but appreciated up to a point.

It is the shear mass of food I feel I have to eat to get to the recommended 1 gram protein per pound weight and then fat and veg on top! I can't eat that much......!

Comment

I have just the opposite problem. At 105 lbs, I have to be careful NOT to eat too much protein. Are you measuring your portions with a scale? You're probably eating more meat than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
          No, I'm not trying to lose weight. Starting to eat PB was mainly to try to improve my asthma - which it has done spectacularly. Totally stopped taking steroids! The weight loss was incidental but appreciated up to a point.

It is the shear mass of food I feel I have to eat to get to the recommended 1 gram protein per pound weight and then fat and veg on top! I can't eat that much......!
          It seems like you are eating the right foods. I would stop keeping track of what you eat and not stress out about it. I kept track for 3 weeks down to the gram.... I enjoyed it but also hated it - I would get frustrated. Just eat the right foods and you will be fine. I eat animal food every meal if possible. I may not have any animal food for 1 or 2 meals throughout the week.
          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I find the best way to top off your protein for the day is snacking on Boiled eggs, couple of cans of Tuna, Protein powder shake.

Comment

Perhaps not to obsess about it is excellent advice! I have been weighing things to the last gram - not every day, but enough to realise that it's hard to get 140 grams of protein! Thanks for the comments!

Comment

I've always heard 0.7 to 1g protein per pound of lean body mass (for maintaining muscle - if you wanted to build a bunch I think you'd need more). I'm sure at your weight you don't have a whole lot of fat, but it might give you a slightly more achievable number anyway. =]
                "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Not to quibble, but if you got 87 grams protein that isn't really "loads" of meat - that's about 6 oz salmon and two pork chops. Adding a couple of eggs and some dairy will boost your protein, and of course there are lots of other options.

Comment

Working...
                  X