Seth Roberts is Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Roberts is Dead

Not sure how many of you read his blog, but apparently he collapsed while hiking yesterday. (Not sure how old he was, but he appeared fairly young, 50's perhaps.)

Sad stuff. I didn't agree with a lot of his ideas, but he had very interesting views and I consider him a leader in the self-experimentation movement. Sad to see him go.

I am interested to see if they'll release the full autopsy details. I honestly believe Seth would want the world to know every detail.

RIP.

Seth's Blog

Very sad news.

Comment

Holy smokes! How sad.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I've not heard of him; to what does he lay his claim to fame, so to speak?

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
          He figured out how to lose weight by drinking sugar-water and wrote a best-selling book about it.

He was big on n=1 experimentation generally, and figured out a few interesting things by constantly experimenting on himself. For example, consuming honey before bed improves sleep. Standing on one foot during the day also improves sleep. So does sun exposure (or vitamin D supplementation) in the morning. Looking at pictures of faces in the morning can enhance your mood the following day. Consuming butter or other fats improves performance on doing arithmetic quickly (meaning that it likely improves cognitive function generally). And so on . . .
          Last edited by maurile; 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
            Look for the GIANT thread on the "Shang-Ri La" diet we had about a year ago around here. Seth Roberts created that concept.

He also took a tablespoon or two of flax seed oil daily (which we are not big fans of around thse parts, but meh). He did experiments with various oils and always claimed flax seed boosted his cognition the most.

Oh yeah, he spoke about the flax seed thing! For ya all:

"What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo
            AHS Slides_Seth Roberts
            Seth's Blog » Blog Archive » Unhelpful Answers (Ancestral Health Symposium 2013)
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by maurile View Post
              He figured out how to lose weight by drinking sugar-water and wrote a best-selling book about it.

He was big on n=1 experimentation generally, and figured out a few interesting things by constantly experimenting on himself. For example, consuming honey before bed improves sleep. Standing on one foot during the day also improves sleep. So does sun exposure (or vitamin D supplementation) in the morning. Looking at pictures of faces in the morning can enhance your mood the following day. Consuming butter or other fats improves performance on doing arithmetic quickly (meaning that it likely improves cognitive function generally). And so on . . .
              I wonder if we will ever know how much, if any, his self-experimentation contributed to his premature demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                I wonder if we will ever know how much, if any, his self-experimentation contributed to his premature demise.
                I dunno, but his daily flax seed oil and sugar water habit...

Ah, still sad.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                  Honestly, we probably won't ever know.

He took obscene (imo) amounts of Omega 3's. I think I once read he was consuming over 15 grams a day via flaxseed. But to speculate that it had anything to do with his death would obviously be irresponsible on my part.

I really liked Seth and the way his brain worked. I do think a lot of his stuff was placebo and he suffered from confirmation bias at times (hey, don't we all?) but I just loved how he wrote and the way he discussed things. He will be missed.

Comment

There was an update at Seth's Blog » Blog Archive » Cause of Death :
                    We’re told that we’ll get a full coroner’s report in about 6 months. In the meantime we were given only “Cause A: Occlusive coronary artery disease” and “Other significant conditions: cardiomegaly.”
                    Originally posted by tatertot
                    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                    "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                      Seth had not used sugar water for many years. I don't think he took flaxseed oil in recent years, either. For the time I did follow him over the past year, he was talking about using butter wrapped in beef instead (nose-clipped for the Shangri-La effect). He discovered butter caused his brain to work better, I believe it was as measured by speed in mathematical computation.

I believe he discovered the appetite suppressing effect of flavorless calories after he had already reached middle age, so I don't think anyone can attribute his cause of death to his experiments.

He actually understood the fat setpoint and how to control it.
                      2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                      2010 Paleo Diet
                      2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

Now down 120+ pounds lost

Comment

Originally posted by Key Tones View Post
                        Seth had not used sugar water for many years. I don't think he took flaxseed oil in recent years, either. For the time I did follow him over the past year, he was talking about using butter wrapped in beef instead (nose-clipped for the Shangri-La effect). He discovered butter caused his brain to work better, I believe it was as measured by speed in mathematical computation.

I believe he discovered the appetite suppressing effect of flavorless calories after he had already reached middle age, so I don't think anyone can attribute his cause of death to his experiments.

He actually understood the fat setpoint and how to control it.
                        According to this presentation he gave, he says butter definitely helped boost cognition but he saw flax seed worked the best of all:

"What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo

Also:

Whether he was doing the flax seed oil at the time of his death is irrelevant if you consider the long-term damage several years of daily doses of several tablespoons of flax may have caused. It could have been in the making for a long time.

It's just really hard to say at this point. I would want to see a coroner's report before I could rule anything out. Just me though.

Comment

He also had a history of heart issues in his family- his dad died of a heart attack in his 70's. Diet can do a lot for your health but it's not the cure all that some people in our community purport it to be. We're all going to die of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                          My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Nourished View Post
                            He also had a history of heart issues in his family- his dad died of a heart attack in his 70's. Diet can do a lot for your health but it's not the cure all that some people in our community purport it to be. We're all going to die of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                            I eat grass fed beef and organic Kale. Will I still die?

Comment

http://www.netanimations.net/animate...ith-yoyo-s.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X