Bison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison

I just bought some ground bison from a company called Tender Bison. Does anyone have any insight in this company and their practices?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

About NABC
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thank you. I wonder what "a brief introduction to grain" means.

Comment

am assuming that much like "grass-fed"beef cattle, they are grain-finished to bump the fat (i.e.tastiness) content.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

None the less - free ranging, no hormones, etc. etc.

One could eat much worse.

Enjoy
          What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Sounds good. Got it at Walmart of all places.

Comment

Originally posted by gdot View Post
              None the less - free ranging, no hormones, etc. etc.

One could eat much worse.

Enjoy
              totally.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I have heard they cannot call it bison in the US unless it is completely range fed. If it spends any time in a feedlot, it's not bison.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I have heard they cannot call it bison in the US unless it is completely range fed. If it spends any time in a feedlot, it's not bison.
                  grain-finished doesn't have to mean feed-lot.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Bison

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    grain-finished doesn't have to mean feed-lot.
                    TenderBison has been arouind since 1993 and is based in Fargo ND. We harvest and sell All Natural Bison across the US and into Europe. 99% of all bison (which is the same as buffalo and has no bearing if the animal is grain finished or grass fed or free range) are grass fed till the last 100 days when they are put on a grain based diet. Reason is not to add fat to the animal like the beef producers do, but to whiten the fat and to remove any off flavors that are a result of eating grass. Grasses will impart an off flavor to the meat. Some people refer to it as a gamey flavor. Bison meat is naturally more tender then beef so it does not need the intramuscular fat to give it flavor or tenderness. Because bison is all natural it is more tender then beef. Hormones have a negative affect on tenderness and flavor of the meat. Hope I have dispelled some incorrect informaiton that people have about why bison are fed grain and the reason for doing so.

Comment

That's so awesome to here. I can sometimes get Tender Bison brand at the commissary, though it's expensive. Their brats are magical.

Comment

Grass fed had a specific meaning per the USDA and it does not include being "grain finished." It does include some allowance for grain for inclement weather, so you need to know your producer to know how much they use the loophole.

"Grass fed, grain finished," is purely a marketing term.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

You can get 100% grass fed/finished bison from Wild Idea bison directly or from US Wellness. I buy it on a regular basis and it is always absolutely wonderful. Here is what they have to say about grain finishing bison:

"We stand by our statement that we are 100% grass fed, NEVER grained. As for TenderBison's comment, 92% of Buffalo raised for human consumption are grain finished, we fit in the 8% that are not. We greatly appreciate your support and are always proud to stand by our product, above the rest!"

Comment

Grain removes the off-flavor that grass produces? I think that is awfully backwards.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                              Grain removes the off-flavor that grass produces? I think that is awfully backwards.

M.
                              Yep, total BS to justify grain finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X