No announcement yet.

Has caffeine stalled anybody's weight loss? Frustrated in Holland : /

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intersting stuff French fry. Thanks for the link.

only 4 mugs of 200 ml coffee? seems like a low dosage to me. I might be the exception at near a 1g of caffine several days a week but a 1l of coffee a day doesn't like much and would already be a 20% increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazmo View Post
      Hi all, I was just wanting to know from people's personal experience, as I'm a newbie round here, if caffeine has interfered with anyone's weight - loss goals? Just doin a search online, it seems for some it's no problem and may even be beneficial in that regard, but for others it stalls them. So it appears the jury's out?

I have just completed my 1st Whole30 and not lost a single pound, though I feel much better and am at the reintro stage. However, I've had issues with lack of sleep/insomnia for many months now and I know I'm drinking too much coffee ( with coconut milk ) to compensate. So it becomes a vicious circle, tired and wired is the new norm! : ( Was it the lack of sleep or the excess coffee consumption to blame? Who knows but my plan is to go de-caf next week and monitor things closely.

Or is it my new-found love of coconut that's gotten out of hand and is responsible? Munching on fresh coconut meat or blocks of creamed coconut ( 100% coconut only ) as snacks ( gotta compensate for the lack of dairy somehow! ). Maybe too much of a good thing backfires on you eventually.......

Anyways, I've researched why some people don't lose weight doin Paleo, ( I realise that topic has been done to death on here and elsewhere ) and I'm formulating a plan before I embark on the 21 day challenge next, but I would really appreciate people's opinions on the coffee thing as, I also enjoy my cuppa before a workout, tho maybe the effect is more psychological/placebo and it's just a case of breaking the habit. Any input would be great : )

Thankyou in advance. P.S I just wanna lose 7lbs and get some muscle definition ( aside from the myriad of health benefits of eating this way ). I'm female, 5ft 5ins and 70kg ( 154lbs ) Cheers
      Too many calories. Those two above could easily be 1000+cals on their own daily. No matter how perfectly you eat, you still could be eating TOO MUCH.

It's not the coffee itself...it's what you've been adding to it.

(I love coconut btw, but you're just eating too much of it)
      JOURNAL..
      @BabesWithBBQ.
      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
      Professional Style Website.
      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

TQP, thanks for your response. It's great to come on here, as a newbie, and get advice from those further down the road, as it were. I shall def be utilising the knowledge of those more experienced than myself in the future! Midweek I'll begin the Primal B.P 21 day challenge proper, I'll just get the other reintroductions out the way 1st. Still gonna give proper coffee a wide berth tho, as I feel it warrants a decent trial to see if things improve without it. It's probably not a good idea to get dependent on anything, whether it be coffee or coconut! Yes I'm beginning to see the error of my ways

Comment

Get some night-time tea, like chamomile or a blend (loose leaf preferably) and add some gelatin to it (I use beef gelatin) and drink it before bed. Get used to reading a book or doing anything other than watching TV/using a phone/tablet before bed. Attack the lack of sleep problem first and foremost.

read this Wrecking your diet, one night at a time | Strength & Science

Sleep is CRUCIAL. I would definitely cut back on coffee as well, and if you're tired during the day and you have time for it, NAP.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Adrenal fatigue is a bitch.

Comment

However, I've had issues with lack of sleep/insomnia for many months now and I know I'm drinking too much coffee ( with coconut milk ) to compensate. So it becomes a vicious circle, tired and wired is the new norm! : ( Was it the lack of sleep or the excess coffee consumption to blame? Who knows but my plan is to go de-caf next week and monitor things closely.
              i have always had serious caffeine addiction issues. altho i wouldnt call it addiction LOL denial being that river in manhatten. what i have found is it has never stopped me losing weight but several other factors have. firstly what you have with it. cream lattes a la LCHF for example. coconut cream. i never did like bullet proof coffee and could not for the life of me see how it could be counted as IF instead of a meal. also i reckon, and this is totally my current theory i am working on which is also my opinion, if sugar blunts cortisol you need sugar with coffee. i trained myself not to have sugar in my hard core VLC days. Now if i have coffee on its own without carby food, i have it with molasses or black molasses sugar. i also reckon if you are tired, you run on cortisol. you have more coffee which gives you more cortisol. so you eat more in an attempt to disappate ( which i cant spell ) the cortisol. as i said, it is the current angle i am working on with self experimentation and it is currently looking promising. VLC and also LC can give sleep issues as well so that will in turn aggravate the tiredness. i am also sure VLC or LC can raise cortisol.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                i have always had serious caffeine addiction issues. altho i wouldnt call it addiction LOL denial being that river in manhatten. what i have found is it has never stopped me losing weight but several other factors have. firstly what you have with it. cream lattes a la LCHF for example. coconut cream. i never did like bullet proof coffee and could not for the life of me see how it could be counted as IF instead of a meal. also i reckon, and this is totally my current theory i am working on which is also my opinion, if sugar blunts cortisol you need sugar with coffee. i trained myself not to have sugar in my hard core VLC days. Now if i have coffee on its own without carby food, i have it with molasses or black molasses sugar. i also reckon if you are tired, you run on cortisol. you have more coffee which gives you more cortisol. so you eat more in an attempt to disappate ( which i cant spell ) the cortisol. as i said, it is the current angle i am working on with self experimentation and it is currently looking promising. VLC and also LC can give sleep issues as well so that will in turn aggravate the tiredness. i am also sure VLC or LC can raise cortisol.

Sugar blunts cortisol?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobert View Post
                  Sugar blunts cortisol?
                  Yes. Carbs do in general.
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                  Professional Style Website.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    Get some night-time tea, like chamomile or a blend (loose leaf preferably) and add some gelatin to it (I use beef gelatin) and drink it before bed. Get used to reading a book or doing anything other than watching TV/using a phone/tablet before bed. Attack the lack of sleep problem first and foremost.

read this Wrecking your diet, one night at a time | Strength & Science

Sleep is CRUCIAL. I would definitely cut back on coffee as well, and if you're tired during the day and you have time for it, NAP.
                    Hiya, thankyou for your advice. I've stocked up on the chamomile and various other herb/fruit teas. I think sometimes re hot drinks, I just want something cos it's comforting or refreshing, rather than to feel buzzing off of excess coffee. I could even sit and enjoy a hot water with lemon. I think a lot's just down to habit. Yes it's a fact that the blue light emitted by phones, computers is disruptive to sleep, so not the best thing to do before hitting the hay. I shall read that article as soon as I have time, thanks for that btw.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                      Hiya, that's very interesting and I had no idea about the whole sugar blunting cortisol thing or that low carb could give you sleep issues. I'm glad your experiment is goin well : ) The only time I had Bullet Proof coffee I started to feel really queasey and had to run to the loo with the splats : / It may well not have been the coffee but the connection in my mind will always be there

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Adrenal fatigue is a bitch.
                        I will have to do a little research on how you diagnose adrenal fatigue and wot you do to remedy it. I'd rather I didn't have that tho!

Comment

Another great blog I enjoy is the DietDoctor, great content and lots of success stories. But what I would like to know re the LCHF diet, how does a person know how high their fat intake should be? Maybe my coconut love is not the reason I've lost no weight, maybe it is the lack of sleep. But wot I don't get is, how do we discern wot the upper limit of fat is before it backfires and we stall/gain weight as our calories are too high? I'm not talking about a proper keto diet here, just general LCHF, which the Swedes have gone bonkers for ( and much success too ). Maybe I'll copy this question onto his blog also.......

Comment

Originally posted by Kazmo
                            iniQuity, I've just responded to your post with quote and a msg flashed up saying it has to be approved by a moderator 1st!? But I've just replied to seaweed no bother with their quote. Dunno wot's goin on there. It wasn't anything dodgey I promise!! Shall try again later.
                            ...there is an active link in iniQuity's post. Remove the link and you will be able to quote the post --> most forums having autoSPAM detectors that require new members to make a certain number of posts before posting outside links...hebs

Comment

Originally posted by Kazmo View Post
                              I will have to do a little research on how you diagnose adrenal fatigue and wot you do to remedy it. I'd rather I didn't have that tho!

I gave up caffeine earlier this month. It. was. hard. I didn't even use de-caff coffee because it tasted awful to me. After the first week, much improved sleep and energy. I think my adrenals are thanking me

I did find a superb alternative because I truely do miss the flavor and warmth of a cup of coffee. I use Teeccino. It's a caffeine-free herbal coffee. NO caffeine, no acidity. Many flavors. I can find it at my food co-op and the health food store but can't always find the varity that's online.
                              If you're missing coffee or don't like tea (I only drink it occasionally), it might be worth a try.
                              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Hebsie, thanks for that : ) deleted the post before reading yours but will know for nxt time.

Comment

Working...
                                X