I got crabs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got crabs!

In my tummy that is................................................ .

Sorry - no scandal here.

Just wanted to raise the topic of crustaceans in the diet. What are the pluses and minuses.

I just ate a decadent plate of snow crab - including the body. Nom......nom......nom.......
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

I got crabs!

There are no minuses, crabs are delicious! I grew up on the west coast so we always caught our own Dungeness crab. Now I always have a box of king crab in my freezer, but it's freaking expensive so I have to be careful and not eat it too fast. I like my crab as is, though, or with a bit of butter. Can't stand it when it's cooked with other ingredients, always ruins it for me.

Comment

Seafood is always the correct answer, mostly for the minerals.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

ok - doing my own looking around.

negative - high in sodium (too high for every day consumption) of course cost prohibits daily consumption in most forms anyway.

Comment

I think the fear of sodium is unjustified
          My opinions and some justification

Comment

I agree....naturally occurring sodium is fine in my opinion.

Comment

Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                I think the fear of sodium is unjustified
                For most people eating Paleo - I completely agree. Most full on Paleo diets contain insufficient sodium and people would do well to use some salt.

It does raise blood pressure in those who are sensitive to it.

And of course those eating the SAD tend to get way to much.

Comment

Reminds me of the Southpark episode where they played on AIDS and said Jared didn't lose his weight via Subway he lost it via a team of aids. Heh.
                  -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

I come from the land of Blue Crab. Never cared much for them. Krab (fake crab) seems to sell more than the real stuff these days, probably because of cost. Overcrabbing is a real bad problem here...

M.

Comment

other than the cost there is zero downside to shellfish.

last few summers lobster has been dirt cheap ($3.99pp) and we have it a few times per week. soon, my pretties, soon.....
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

and now this is all i'm thinking

Originally posted by gdot View Post
                        ok - doing my own looking around.

negative - high in sodium (too high for every day consumption) of course cost prohibits daily consumption in most forms anyway.
                        double negative, they aren't 'high in sodium', they're 'brined for your pleasure'
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                          other than the cost there is zero downside to shellfish.

last few summers lobster has been dirt cheap ($3.99pp) and we have it a few times per week. soon, my pretties, soon.....
                          We had lobster last week. The prices have been pretty reasonable for previously frozen tails recently. Still waiting for the whole beasts to be available affordably. I'm willing to accept the freezing as opposed to fresh.

Are lobsters generally still 'free range' or are they being cultivated these days?

Comment

I was just thinking about the problem of overfishing and overcrabbing specifically. It's a shame that our oceans are being depleted. Eating locally would solve this. If you go to a grocery store in Iowa you can get crab, shrimp, and all kinds of ocean fish. People across the landlocked states eat tuna as a cheap foodstuff. If people in those states ate local freshwater fish (or farmed) it wouldn't be as much of a problem. Then again I live on the California coast so of course this plan benefits me.
                            Love, peace, and bacon grease.

Comment

Not necessarily. Most of the over-crabbing problem are individuals grabbing them up themselves.

M.

Comment

Working...
                              X