Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Tried Bulletproof Coffee today...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Choco, I give you credit for at trying Carb Curve Primal (I guess I can call it that) before finding it didn't work for you. But there are so many Success Stories that I'm pretty sure Carb Curve Primal does work for many many people. I only ask that people try it before rejecting it. And I mean going through the FULL transition, not getting frustrated with newbie mistakes (nuts) or giving up during carb flu.

    That said, for those who like BPC but are afraid of the Fat Gram Calorie Bomb, I've had some success with this:
    1. Make Bulletproof Cocoa from 12 oz water, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder, a bit of stevia (optional), and a bit of optional vanilla OR mint extract (optional).
    2. Blend it extra well and divide into three small containers 4-5 ounces each. Refrigerate.
    3. Each day, shake one well and microwave it for 90 seconds. If you blend it well the first time, the BPC keeps in the fridge and mixes with just shaking.

    I found that one of these mini BPC's is just as filling as a whole one, especially if I sip it slowly. It satsifies my chocolate cravings. It breaks the 3 pm boredom at work. It's a good early mini-meal (or late lunch dessert) if I want to IF through dinner (15 hr IF). And it's only ~80 calories, all as fat.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

    Comment


    • #47
      Yikes... Innocent topic goes to the fishes once again.

      Time to dump it in the drink Mack. *sigh*

      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        Yikes... Innocent topic goes to the fishes once again.

        Time to dump it in the drink Mack. *sigh*


        Comment


        • #49
          That Bulletproof stuff seems entirely too expensive for what it is. Wary of anything that's so heavily advertised.
          Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

          K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by oxide View Post
            Choco, I give you credit for at trying Carb Curve Primal (I guess I can call it that) before finding it didn't work for you. But there are so many Success Stories that I'm pretty sure Carb Curve Primal does work for many many people.
            I will absolutely fight this to the death of me. It has absolutely nothing to do with the "carb curve." It is the elimination of processed foods and the ensuing increase in protein. Think about what low carb diets eliminate.

            Doughnuts
            Cereal
            Juice
            Soda
            Sandwiches
            Pasta
            Cake
            Cookies
            Crackers
            Chips

            The list goes on and on. Virtually every processed food on the shelf at the grocery store is eliminated by avoiding grains and sugar, and when you through vegetable oils into the mix, you'll probably come close to 100% elimination. Probably easily in the high 90's.

            It results in eliminating high energy-density, low nutrient-density, hyperpalatable, low-satiety foods. That is it. The damndest thing about eating steak and vegetables is they're very filling per calorie thanks to the protein and fiber content (not the fat!), and they take a long time for your body to break down. But replacing fatty meats, oils and vegetables with leaner meats, greatly reducing added fats and increasing your fruits and starches will likely markedly increase your health. Low carb diets are terrible for your gut health, terrible for your thyroid, terrible for insulin sensitivity and terrible for stress hormone synthesis. The cortisol level flies high on low carb diets since cortisol is the chief hormone in gluconeogenesis.

            Eat a balanced diet rich in all types of plants and animals. Otherwise, you will be missing parts of the puzzle and holding yourself back in some way.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

            Comment


            • #51
              ^Still doesn't get it.....its not a fight. Its based on what ancestral data we have to date. We evolved and thrived on the carb curve. Current data for hunter gatherer and our ancestors over the millenia confirm it as the base line. Its the Alpha and the Omega of macro ratios baby! Just deal with it. Its a point of reference that any human should look to for a point of natural health. Does that make it the only path? No....but, it does give it validity as the most useful one.

              I'm gonna set this apart so everyone gets this.....The carb curve is there for context. We could say eat meat, eggs, fruit, vegetables, and roots/tubers to satiety....but some numbskull would inevitably claim that just choosing one of those foods constituted eating in an ancestral/paleo/primal manner...and they would be FOS.

              Humans have and will thrive on variety of macros. The common thread for health is indeed no processed shit, bad grains or excess sugar. The prescription however is varied. The vast majority will do best to start at true blue Primal/Paleo and ignore the noise. This can be the beginning and the end for 90% of the population. There is of course that final 10%. Those with severe disease and/or athletes with extreme goals related to leanness or performance. They need some professional guidance or a significant amount of personal education to get the appropriate labs done and develop the optimal protocols.

              Comment


              • #52
                I Tried Bulletproof Coffee today...

                Neck, don't you think it is arbitrary to pick Paleolithic as THE one period we should eat according to?

                Don't get me wrong, as I am mostly still paleo in my eating.

                I have just recently thought about this:
                Fruitarians randomly picked the period before we evolved into human beings (taking other primates as reference pts) as their "period of choice."
                Paleo/primal peeps picked the Paleolithic period as their "period of choice."
                Other "health groups" (vegan ones like The Starch Solution, or non vegan ones that are higher starches with corn/bean/etc) pick the later human civilization development periods.

                It seems all very arbitrary to me... Where we decided "okay this period is wayyyy too early for us to consider; that is wayyyy too late for us to consider."

                People state ancestral health as a given "it is just science and evolution!"...but HOW ancestral do you want to go is so arbitrary...100 years? 1000 years? 10000 years? 100,000 years? We are constantly evolving... Why do we pick the paleo period over some earlier or later time frame?

                My point is that... Before and after the paleo period, our "ancestors" (broadly defined) ate above the carb curve levels of carbs. WHY arbitrarily choose the paleo period as the DEFAULT level for carbs?

                (Note... End of of a LONG day, so excuse me if I am incoherent)
                Last edited by TQP; 04-25-2014, 11:08 PM.
                JOURNAL..
                @BabesWithBBQ.
                Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                Professional Style Website.
                #TeamBrisket Shirts

                Comment


                • #53
                  This is slightly off topic, but TQP I need you to teach me your ways.

                  See, when I started on this path I thought I was a smart little shit. Eating huge amounts of fat, fuck all carbs, thinking I was elite for eating the way our ancient ancestors ate.

                  I thought Mark Sisson was the god of nutrition and his word was final on all things.


                  Now, I'm realizing low carb ... kinda sucks arse.

                  See, low carb initially gave me a energy boost but I've now learned that energy boost is a result of stress hormones. After being low carb for a while now I kinda feel like shit.

                  My views on diet have evolved. I still think gluten-grains are fucking horrible but I don't think carbs are evil anymore.

                  But... I kinda don't know how I should eat now. I mean, obviously I want to crank up my carb intake, but if I understand right that also means I need to dial down my fat intake. Which is hard because I want to keep my protein up, and most protein sources have lots of fat attached.

                  I'm trying to come up with meal ideas that are high carb high protein and not too much fat.


                  Much appreciate any advice you can give.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    @FatIsAwsome
                    You're a man I suppose. Eat a la PHD (Perfect Health Diet). It is not difficult:

                    Priority 1: fix your protein intake
                    Priority 2: fix your "safe starch" intake (potatoes, white parboiled rice, and safe pseudo-grains if you like or even beans once in a while)
                    Then finish with enough good fat to reach your caloric needs. Fat is the last macro to think about (in my mind).

                    Intermittent-fast regularly and move your butt. Enjoy your time and sleep well. Make sure you get enough of the fat-soluble vitamins.
                    I am a fan of cod livers in their own juice. It is delicious and should bring you all the fat-soluble goodies you need.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by FatIsAwesome View Post
                      This is slightly off topic, but TQP I need you to teach me your ways.

                      See, when I started on this path I thought I was a smart little shit. Eating huge amounts of fat, fuck all carbs, thinking I was elite for eating the way our ancient ancestors ate.

                      I thought Mark Sisson was the god of nutrition and his word was final on all things.


                      Now, I'm realizing low carb ... kinda sucks arse.

                      See, low carb initially gave me a energy boost but I've now learned that energy boost is a result of stress hormones. After being low carb for a while now I kinda feel like shit.

                      My views on diet have evolved. I still think gluten-grains are fucking horrible but I don't think carbs are evil anymore.

                      But... I kinda don't know how I should eat now. I mean, obviously I want to crank up my carb intake, but if I understand right that also means I need to dial down my fat intake. Which is hard because I want to keep my protein up, and most protein sources have lots of fat attached.

                      I'm trying to come up with meal ideas that are high carb high protein and not too much fat.


                      Much appreciate any advice you can give.

                      Hey! That's more or less how I eat. I tend to switch from moderate protein (70-150g) to higher protein (150-200+g) depending on appetite, mood, SALES, season, lifting schedule, traveling, etc. Keep in mind that high carb diets are protein-sparing...so you don't need AS MUCH protein to achieve the same result as low carb.

                      Lean protein sources I eat:
                      -lean beef (I choose 96% lean ground beef a lot...round top sirloin or other lean cuts of beef without visible marbling is good). Lean lamb is good too. I tend to avoid lean pork/chicken/turkey, but I suppose you can eat them too.
                      -egg whites in a carton. 100% egg whites. (I do eat eggs, just 1 dozen a week instead of ...3 dozen or something) I use these + a few whole eggs for frittatas/omlettes, or pour in raw for smoothies.
                      -lean seafood: crab, shrimp, lobster, clam, oyster, whitefish, etc.
                      -COTTAGE CHEESE. Even the 4% stuff is relatively low in fat. 4%, 1%, 1% with pineapple are my #1 sources of protein these days because red meat is more expensive.
                      -Other low-fat dairy (greek yogurt, kefir, milk, etc)
                      -Supplements (rely on whole foods first! These are helpful though): whey, gelatin, etc.
                      -NOT protein but... learn to poach, braise, bake for meats/eggs. This reduces the need for added oils/fats. I also use a coconut oil spray (not THE BEST but does the job) I found at trader joe's for a SPRITZ for grilling/frying things. I do use kerrygold/tallow, just sparingly. I just love to save the fat macros for eggs, lamb (mmm), chocolate, coconut, mozzarella.

                      I suggest tracking your macros for a while. It can be VERY counter-intuitive to switch from EAT ALL THE FATS to much less fat. I personally would keep fats under 50-60g if maintenance (mostly from saturated fat sources), 20-40g if leaning out. The ranges are depending on your activity levels/metabolism/genetics/etc.

                      (Be prepared to feel BLAH as you shift gears from HFLC to HCLF. Give yourself a month or so to transition)

                      Feel free to PM, or ask any additional questions in my journal. Journal might result in more Higher Carb Peeps than just me weighing in on the issue so might be more preferable. Same to anyone else who needs some HCLF troubleshooting advice.
                      Last edited by TQP; 04-26-2014, 01:57 AM.
                      JOURNAL..
                      @BabesWithBBQ.
                      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                      Professional Style Website.
                      #TeamBrisket Shirts

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by TQP View Post
                        Neck, don't you think it is arbitrary to pick Paleolithic as THE one period we should eat according to?

                        Don't get me wrong, as I am mostly still paleo in my eating.

                        I have just recently thought about this:
                        Fruitarians randomly picked the period before we evolved into human beings (taking other primates as reference pts) as their "period of choice."
                        Paleo/primal peeps picked the Paleolithic period as their "period of choice."
                        Other "health groups" (vegan ones like The Starch Solution, or non vegan ones that are higher starches with corn/bean/etc) pick the later human civilization development periods.

                        It seems all very arbitrary to me... Where we decided "okay this period is wayyyy too early for us to consider; that is wayyyy too late for us to consider."

                        People state ancestral health as a given "it is just science and evolution!"...but HOW ancestral do you want to go is so arbitrary...100 years? 1000 years? 10000 years? 100,000 years? We are constantly evolving... Why do we pick the paleo period over some earlier or later time frame?

                        My point is that... Before and after the paleo period, our "ancestors" (broadly defined) ate above the carb curve levels of carbs. WHY arbitrarily choose the paleo period as the DEFAULT level for carbs?

                        (Note... End of of a LONG day, so excuse me if I am incoherent)
                        Actually, you can just look at victorian England, they seemed to be doing quite well until the industrial revolution really kicked in and the former staple foods were more and more replaced with refined crap (seed oils, flours, etc).
                        As far as I remember reading about it, they used to eat lots of prebiotic foods, were "working out" a lot lot more than nowadays, and were not constantly snacking on high cal. crap devoid of nutrition. There was an estimation that the amount of kCal was on average outstanding (something like 3500 kCal / day / person if I remember correctly).

                        So, I am talking about pre-industrial England, not paleo. The reason why paleo makes some sort of sense is that paleo people are very close to modern humans in terms of genes and biology. They lived in a "clean" world ... that part is missing today and we don't fully measure the environmental impact on our health (being indoor all the time, sedentary, stressed, etc). As much as the diet is important, there are other "paleo" factors that to my mind are equally important. And addressing those allows you to actually thrive on a more neolithic diet (WAPF, etc).

                        Diet is a key element in health, but only one element. One must have a holistic approach to well-being but I am not teaching something new here. You all know this. It is just that today, we are sick in our minds as well as in our bodies, and paleo became a brand. That's a symptom of this mind sickness. This will clear up in the coming centuries ...

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Wow, a thread I started has gone unexpected places! I'm so proud.

                          I just want to note that I was using the bulletproof coffee as a breakfast substitute. 400 calories is a goodly amount for breakfast. It worked quite well at suppressing my appetite, through nausea. Not exactly helpful when I'm trying to take calls for work, though.

                          @TQP I can't wait to try that and see if it works for me. I live at home with my parents right now so even just avoiding all gluten is getting difficult. But a condo is being built with my name on it, so I should be free in a year or two. Then I'm going to start trying various approaches to see what really works for me. Low fat might, honestly. I've lost a lot of weight eating all the fat but now I'm stalled out and going nowhere fast. I don't even mind that much since I'm SO MUCH smaller, but I would like to shed another 50 lbs or so...
                          Out of context quote for the day:

                          Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            What part of bulletproof coffee makes it bulletproof? Is it the butter? Are bullets lipophobic?
                            My opinions and some justification

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I Tried Bulletproof Coffee today...

                              Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                              Wow, a thread I started has gone unexpected places! I'm so proud.

                              I just want to note that I was using the bulletproof coffee as a breakfast substitute. 400 calories is a goodly amount for breakfast. It worked quite well at suppressing my appetite, through nausea. Not exactly helpful when I'm trying to take calls for work, though.

                              @TQP I can't wait to try that and see if it works for me. I live at home with my parents right now so even just avoiding all gluten is getting difficult. But a condo is being built with my name on it, so I should be free in a year or two. Then I'm going to start trying various approaches to see what really works for me. Low fat might, honestly. I've lost a lot of weight eating all the fat but now I'm stalled out and going nowhere fast. I don't even mind that much since I'm SO MUCH smaller, but I would like to shed another 50 lbs or so...
                              I see. Best of luck! I think is to drop what doesn't work and try what might work... regardless of macros etc. Mark was thin both high and low carb, so I tend to disregard his leanness as an example...same with others who are more or less lean regardless of macros. I know I am NOT lean regardless of what I eat... I have to be careful.

                              I lose weight okay on vlc. I was lc/vlc for a long time. I just am happier mentally and physically higher carb...annnd I can eat a lot more for maintenance. I am about to start a period of exaggerated HCLF to test out a theory. :P
                              JOURNAL..
                              @BabesWithBBQ.
                              Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                              Professional Style Website.
                              #TeamBrisket Shirts

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I completely agree that is possible to be lean and healthy with a higher carb approach. I did it for many years.

                                I also believe firmly in variety. Particularly when one is making major adjustments to BMI. It is very normal to travel far with a particular approach, only to find that it eventually stalls.

                                Stalls indicate only one potential course of action......change.
                                What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X