Are Legumes Really That Bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
    What's being said is that legumes aren't the best source of protein, not don't eat them they are worthless.
    You sure? I read that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
      You sure? I read that all the time.
      Some people say that, yep. Not me though. For protein legumes are suboptimal at best. But they have other uses.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

So, which foods have the amino acids missing from beans? Does it vary by bean? :P

Same question for other legumes, like soy.
        Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

Comment

Originally posted by Nellodee View Post
          So, which foods have the amino acids missing from beans? Does it vary by bean? :P

Same question for other legumes, like soy.
          Grains, mostly. =\

So for true primal vegetarian, that's going to mean a LOT of white rice since the other grains aren't really so hot nutritionally. Hell even white rice isn't the greatest, but at least it's not full of the anti-nutrients common to other grains.

Soy is a complete protein, but hopefully you're not eating skads and skads of it regardless.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
            Your comparison is not apt. You didn't add in the caloric load from the complementary grains that are necessary to make the beans/lentils a "complete" protein. Because yeah, food combining in the same meal isn't necessary, but if you don't get the complimentary source of aminos at some point, your muscle can't use the legumes to assist with muscle building. It needs ALL of the pieces eventually.

That was, I think, SB's point about caloric load. She was considering the whole package necessary in a legume-heavy diet to achieve the complete protein profile man needs to build and maintain muscle.

It's like all the people here saying "why should I have gelatin in my post workout sake? It's not a complete protein!" Well, no, but it will still build your muscles if you get a few of the missing pieces (basically minute amounts of tryptophan) from other dietary components within the same day as well.

And also, if quibbling over 31 calories is a sticking point... You're worrying about calories TOO much. There is a limit.
            Whether or not protein is complete or it is mostly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, which was what I was trying to point out. If you are on a healthy diet you will be eating meat enough that sources of incomplete protein aren't an issue.
            http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
              Whether or not protein is complete or it is mostly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, which was what I was trying to point out. If you are on a healthy diet you will be eating meat enough that sources of incomplete protein aren't an issue.
              But all the protien in legumes response are in reply to a vegetarian asking why it's not a complete protein

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

Beans should be complete proteins. I think I'll write my congresspeople in the morning; we'll get this all sorted out.

But seriously thanks for your help guys
                Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

Comment

The fact that their lacking in methionine is a good thing. If people were to switch some of the protein foods their eating now for legumes you'll probably be improving glucose tolerance and heart disease risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellodee View Post

Hey! Hope you're well

Eating meat was never really an option here. Vegetarian 4 lyfe maybe. Or at least 4... the foreseeable future lol. Beans super great yes.
                    Oh ok. Try out banana-egg pancakes for an egg solution; helped me out for sure.

M.

Comment

I have just cooked some chickpeas (yesterday, in a pressure cooker - they'd been soaked for 36 hours) and left them to cool overnight. This morning I opened the pressure cooker to transfer them to a bowl to go in the fridge. The liquid they'd been cooked in had "gelled" like chicken stock does. Has anyone had this happen?? I couldn't bring myself to throw it out, so I will use it in hummus, or a soup, as it MUST have some goodness in it?

Comment

It's not the length of soaking time that makes a difference in the digestibility, it's the fact that you can discard the soaking water that contains the soluble indigestible sugars that ferment in your intestines to cause gas. When I used to make beans, I would discard and replace the water several times over the soaking period and then pressure cook them until they were nice and soft.

If you're pressure cooking, you need to rinse them anyway, because the soaking liquid will foam up.

Yes, the liquid will gel a bit when cooled. That's normal.

I wouldn't think that canned beans would be soaked at all prior to canning. They might hold them in the cans for a few hours prior to processing, but it's really doubtful they would go through a step not necessary to produce the product. Beans can be pressure cooked without any soaking at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                          The fact that their lacking in methionine is a good thing. If people were to switch some of the protein foods their eating now for legumes you'll probably be improving glucose tolerance and heart disease risk.

Why is it that whenever I see your name pop up on this forum you're always spouting conventional wisdom (aka bullshit)?

Animal protein/fat doesn't give you heart disease. Stop fucking saying it does.

Do you even eat paleo?

Comment

Originally posted by God View Post
                            Why is it that whenever I see your name pop up on this forum you're always spouting conventional wisdom (aka bullshit)?

Animal protein/fat doesn't give you heart disease. Stop fucking saying it does.

Do you even eat paleo?
                            Calm down God.

A lot of what people around here call "conventional wisdom" is fairly on point. I don't agree on everything obviously, but if you haven't noticed, "Paleo" over the last few years is getting closer and closer to the US food plate. Have a look at the threads in this forum a few years ago, it was all about eating as much fat and protein as you wanted and avoiding all starch and fruit. This forum has come a long way.

No, I don't eat paleo, does anyone here eat paleo? Probably not very many.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                              No, I don't eat paleo, does anyone here eat paleo? Probably not very many.
                              I don't want to be finicky but no one eats paleo, we all eat neo, trying to emulate some paleo elements (as far as we know them) but it remains a neo diet. How much we try to emulate paleo diets is up to every individual (ability, knowledge, experimentation, etc). But so far as I know, the big majority of people eat:
                              - plant foods grown by agricultural means
                              - meat grown by meat producers
                              - most of it processed to some extent and transported by modern means, refrigerated by modern means, etc.

The paleo factors we more or less try include are on the nutrition level, meal timing (metabolism), physical exercise, stress and sleep, time spent outdoors. Call it paleo if you like but the background for all this is definitely neo.

Comment

Neo Paleo
                                Sounds very hip

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X