No announcement yet.

Are Legumes Really That Bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best article I've seen on this topic: Legumes are paleo.

Comment

"The evidence for wild legume consumption by humans is as strong as it is for any plant food consumed during the Paleolithic." -- Stephan Guyenet

Comment

I think J. Stanton from gnolls.org has not been a big fan of legumes because some contain a non-proteinogenic amino-acid called canavanine. If you read about it, it does not sound very good ...
        but which legumes contain it, which ones don't, I can't say and this won't stop me from eating beans once in a while

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
          I think J. Stanton from gnolls.org has not been a big fan of legumes because some contain a non-proteinogenic amino-acid called canavanine. If you read about it, it does not sound very good ...
          but which legumes contain it, which ones don't, I can't say and this won't stop me from eating beans once in a while
          I am far from an expert on this, but my quick googling indicated canavanine was only in alfalfa sprouts and not all legumes.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
            Based on studies, anyone that eats legumes eventually dies. Avoid them if you can to prevent death.

Based on studies anyone that eats ANYTHING (or doesn't) evenually dies.

let me know when you discover the diet to immortality.

Comment

Help me out here, guys. So if you soak your beans does it make them easier to digest? I generally avoid them, due to bloating/gas, but if they are in a particular dish that I MUST have I eat em. They taste fine to me, just swell my belly up, so I don't eat them very often. I would assume the the more they have been cooked (soaked, cooked, refried, etc) they would be easier to digest?

Comment

Originally posted by Juliemama View Post
                Help me out here, guys. So if you soak your beans does it make them easier to digest? I generally avoid them, due to bloating/gas, but if they are in a particular dish that I MUST have I eat em. They taste fine to me, just swell my belly up, so I don't eat them very often. I would assume the the more they have been cooked (soaked, cooked, refried, etc) they would be easier to digest?
                I find that LONG soaking (like 24 / 36 hours) really does help with side effects - in that there ARE no side effects...

Nice info here (and useful links FROM this page)

How To Cook Beans in a Pressure Cooker Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

Comment

Originally posted by FatIsAwesome View Post
                  Yeah... but I'm talking about eating them unsoaked (ie canned beans). If I'm going to be eating beans it's going to be out of convenience. I'm sure as hell not going to spend 24 hours preparing them, they aren't worth that amount of trouble.
                  Canned beans already have some level of soaking, since they are in a can of water. And if you find putting a bowl of legumes in water overnight "trouble" then it's a wonder how you survive at all.

Originally posted by Juliemama View Post
                  Soaking should help, but some people can't tolerate legumes at all.
                  Last edited by AMonkey; 04-28-2014, 02:05 AM.
                  http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I think the problem with legumes is that a) many people do not properly soak them, including factories that put cooked beans in cans. And b) many people believe they are an adequate protein source, which they are not. Other than that, they're an okay food to eat, not particularly high in nutrition, and somewhat high in calories, at least the way they are often eaten.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I love beans, but if it's been a while since I have eaten them they will definitely make me flatulate no matter how they are prepared. If I'm eating beans on a daily basis for a while then it will go away. It seems to be one of those foods that has special gut flora requirements. Then again I have a very forgiving digestive tract. I can eat all the grains, dairy, and beans I want without issue.
                      Love, peace, and bacon grease.

Comment

Why are they not an adequate protein source?

After my initial venture into vegetarian "paleo" which was pretty much eating the same meal of veggie stir fry with eggs 2x every single day some friendly people here suggested that beans wouldn't be so bad if I absolutely wouldn't eat meat and needed more protein sources (kinda sorta hate eggs). Since then I've actually been going through like cycles where I'll do eggs for 3-5 days, then beans, then tempeh, and sometimes I'll give in to my craving for soy milk. Not 100% ideal compared to y'all meat eaters I'm sure, but the variety keeps me mostly on track and I'm tons healthier than I was before starting "paleo". So what makes beans a bad protein source? Relevant to me interests! :P

And wtf you people that don't like beans are insane... but then I was raised on Hispanic food hehe.
                        Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

Comment

They are incomplete protein, which means you need to combine them with another vegetarian protein source to get a complete protein, and they are relatively lacking in protein so you must eat a lot more calories of beans than calories of meat to get the same amount of protein. This is why they are not that great of a protein source.

A quick search shows that to equal the protein in 3 oz of chicken, you need:
                          1 cup, plus 2.5 tablespoons of lentils.
                          1-1/3 cups of black beans.
                          1-1/2 cups (just a little less than this, actually) of chickpeas.

And then you need some rice or corn or something else to provide the missing amino acids. That's more calories than 3oz of chicken.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Oh hey Nellodee, I haven't seen you about a while. Did you end up adding meats into your diet, or are you still vegetarian? I'm with you on the bean-joy; I always enjoyed good red beans with my Hispanic foods. It's a must, which is interesting because they're not particularly flavorful on their own.

Now I'm wondering as the pressure eases off legumes in the general sense if we'll start seeing soy introduced to "Paleo", in the general sense.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              They are incomplete protein, which means you need to combine them with another vegetarian protein source to get a complete protein, and they are relatively lacking in protein so you must eat a lot more calories of beans than calories of meat to get the same amount of protein. This is why they are not that great of a protein source.
                              I agree that they aren't as good of a protein source as animal foods but I believe the combining method was debunked several years ago. Since proteins are broken down into their constituent amino acids and used by the body it is not necessary to eat plant foods in combinations that provide all the essential amino acids at once.
                              My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Nourished View Post
                                I agree that they aren't as good of a protein source as animal foods but I believe the combining method was debunked several years ago. Since proteins are broken down into their constituent amino acids and used by the body it is not necessary to eat plant foods in combinations that provide all the essential amino acids at once.
                                Not at the same time, at the same meal, no. But within the same day, before your body rids itself of the complementary aminos, you must get the missing pieces.
                                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                                X