Coconut Milk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Milk

Do all of you buy the canned stuff? I would rather not buy it in a can, rather a carton or something. Also, do i need to worry about buying organic coconut milk? Out diet is probably 85% organic right now.

Thanks
    Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

I would always go for organic when possible. Why do you prefer a carton? I read that those cartons may have nasty stuff in them no different from those plastic milk cartons. Cans are recyclable.

Comment

I've only seen it in cans, other than the cartons of watered-down stuff that's meant for drinking straight - but like Classic said, those are plastic-coated so probably no better (assuming that's your concern). I've definitely never seen it in a glass container.

You could make your own! There are really detailed instructions here. According to them, one coconut makes 2-3 cups of coconut milk, and it lasts 5-7 days refrigerated.
      "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mayness View Post
        You could make your own! There are really detailed instructions here. According to them, one coconut makes 2-3 cups of coconut milk, and it lasts 5-7 days refrigerated.
        Best advice usually! I think whenever possible, we should make our own food.

Comment

I agree. It brings you closer to what you eat and guarantees you know what the ingredients are. I also have always advocated for meat eaters to have the experience of butchering an animal they will eat so they can understand the process and circle of life.

Comment

Oh great, I was about to make a thread about coconut milk.

I just put some in a skillet, warmed it slightly, and doused my salad in it. And it tastes good! Better than using canola oil...and I can finally say farewell to using olive oil on my salads...euch. Good show.....i think

Comment

I've been using the stuff in a carton because it's re-closable. I pretty much just use it for coffee though. Once you open a can you gotta fiddle with it- I have 4 kids and a dissertation to write, so I'll use the convenient healthy foods when I can!

Comment

You can get organic for a good price on amazon if you sign up for automatic delivery. We have a case delivered every month, and you can delay it whenever if you're not done yet. I don't remember what it works out to, but it was cheaper than non-organic at sprouts. I've only ever seen it in cans unfortunately.

Comment

those non refrigerated cartons are lined w aluminum. you're better off w a can.

Comment

Originally posted by jem51 View Post
                    those non refrigerated cartons are lined w aluminum. you're better off w a can.
                    Not that I disagree, but isn't an aluminum can "lined with aluminum" as well?

Comment

i still say make a bunch and store it in your own glass container.

Comment

I agree that buying a coconut and making your own milk would be best. I have glass lock containers that will hold a large can and is perfectly sealed in the fridge. I have not made my own, but now I am interested in trying.

I have also used a glass jar which makes it easy to pour.

Comment

Thanks i will have to try making some.

I want to avoid cans just because most of BPA. But it doesn't sound like Cartons are much better.
                          Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I get the refrigerated carton - looks like an OJ carton...

Comment

Is coconut milk in the can supposed to be a big glob of white gunk with water underneath? I stirred it up but, it returns to that state in the refrigerator.

Comment

Working...
                              X