Opportunity Knocked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opportunity Knocked

I absolutely couldn't believe it when my parents' dog, a Jack Russell, caught and killed a 3-foot garter snake. It's the biggest I'd ever seen. My dad and I came up with the same idea almost immediately. Eat it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40799701@N02/3755751863/

Soooo... I had my first lesson in cleaning and skinning a snake. First thing first, lop off the head. Cutting the belly was some trick since it kept moving for a good 15 minutes after it was dead. Every time I tried to gut it, it would move and the tail would wrap around my fingers, or the knife. After a few tries I opted for the kitchen scissors- LOL. Still, it would keep moving and rolling over by itself, which was rather odd considering it was headless.

Got the belly open and the skin peeled right off. Pulled out the organs and that was that. I cut it into pieces for ease of cooking (and eating.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40799701@N02/3761749570/in/photostream/

Finally I decided how to cook it. Fry it up like chicken wings, and top with tequila-lime-chili sauce. The sauce was pretty simple. Some butter, a splash of cheap tequila, a squirt of lime and a dash of red pepper.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40799701@N02/3761751276/

Eating them was a bit like chicken wings too, having to bite the meat off the ribs. Not a lot of meat, but a nice treat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40799701@N02/3763452915/

I took it to work for lunch. My co-workers were somewhat amused. I don't think anything surprises them anymore... until the day I take bugs. One guy did say it was gross- LOL!

So yeah, a little peek into my world.

Awesome. See, this is exactly something I would do, don't know how well it would go over with the roommates, though.

Comment

Maybe you'll have to ease them into it. Start with fish.

Comment

It has more bones than I thought it would.

Comment

Was it tasty?

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
          Yeah!

Comment

"So yeah, a little peek into my world."

your world is cool, and a little freaky

I am always intrigued when you report the game that you eat.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I'll say it again... you're my hero.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

LOL... maybe I'll get lucky and somebody with pull will notice me, and I'll have my own hunting/foraging/bizarre foods show. That would be the best job ever.

Next up, on "Food Adventures"... collecting and cooking your own grasshoppers.

Hmm... maybe not.

Comment

Hehehe, I wish that you get your own "Food Adventures" show. I wouldn't mind trying the grasshoppers.

Comment

I've been considering bugs, but this year it seems the only thing that's plentiful are slugs.

Comment

That is 10 kinds of badass

Comment

Slugs are just escargot, nekkid. Maybe.

Comment

OK, I'd do this.....but only after YOU'VE done it!

Oh, and I'm FAR from being squeemish (I used to be a bow-hunter), but having the thing move and wrap itself around my fingers while I was trying to cut it???? Ack! I probably would've screamed like the girly-girl that I am and made my husband finish the job! :-D

Comment

You need to apply to be on The Amazing Race. I think you would destroy at the eating challenges.

Comment

OTB- Nekkid Escargot? Ohh... that makes them sound much more appealing. I wonder how much they taste like restaurant escargot.

Sassa- LOL! It was a little freakish. I was getting annoyed and my dad got a kick out of it. You know how alligators will roll and roll, and roll... that's what it was doing every time I tried to cut it. All I could think is, "Without a head, how does it know I'm trying to cut?" It still boggles my mind.

Nick- I've never seen The Amazing Race, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up. Wonder if I could make it...

Comment

Working...
                              X