is salt bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is salt bad?

I remember reading somewhere (maybe) a long time ago when I was more up to date with this stuff that your body regulates salt. So it doesnt matter if you intake a lot because your body will deal with it. Is this true? i've been primal for years now and I am getting bored with no sauces. I've recently started adding a LOT of seasoning salt to everything.

Also, I drink a lot of carbonated water. usually lime flavored (no cals/carbs ect.. tho)

Primal cookbook full of sauces. Sodium great, chloride supposedly bad.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Salt is like any other constituent of the blood. More can be better in some circumstances, particularly high training athletes or people on low car diets. But the general american public eat too much salt and i think advising people to eat less salt is a responsible one.

Comment

Sodium should be balanced by potassium
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

It depends. On heavy workout days I have more salt, off days less. Mark did a post a while back on how the body regulates salt.

On sprint days,especially when it's warmer out, I have extra salt prior to sprinting with a lot of water. Mostly because I hate carrying a water bottle.

Comment

Salt is generally NOT bad. Most people have too much sodium because of processed foods. It is MORE important that you enjoy your primal meals. Enjoy.

Comment

I think Peat recommends adding salt to the coffee and OJ... so there!
              Not that I do that myself, but I know others do.

Sometimes in the hot weather when am so tiered and exhausted, I drink a salty drink (like a yogurt shake with salt) and I feel a lot better after.

Comment

Generally, Americans (and the rest of the Western world) eat too much sodium/salt because of all the preservatives and garbage in processed food. If you're not eating that crap - and you shouldn't be if you're eating Primally - you probably need to add some salt. I liberally salt my veggies and my hydration drink for running is water+sea salt+lemon juice.

Comment

seasoning salts can have all sorts of crap in them, so be careful with those.

why no sauces on your foods? primal doesn't mean you have eat like an ascetic monk.

google be your friend here and even this site has a recipe board.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Salt's the bee's knees. So long as you're not eating it straight, you'll be fine.

M.

Comment

is salt bad?

On a primal diet....absolutely not.

Eating SAD with previously diagnosed hypertension.....probably so.

Comment

Originally posted by glorth2 View Post
                        Salt is generally NOT bad. Most people have too much sodium because of processed foods. It is MORE important that you enjoy your primal meals. Enjoy.
                        +1
                        March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
                        Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

This study perhaps?

I've been adding salt freely to my meals since going primal. My weight & BP are all way down and normal so I side with salt not being any issue. Eating a balanced diet that includes enough Potassium will do the trick. Avoiding processed foods and chemicals is a key to the deal.

Comment

We've been using sea salt lately, and it's great on veggies and in broth, but I'm wondering if we should get iodized sea salt because we don't get much iodine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenna H View Post
                              We've been using sea salt lately, and it's great on veggies and in broth, but I'm wondering if we should get iodized sea salt because we don't get much iodine.
                              To get iodine I use kelp flakes, roughly 2,000% of your RDA per 1/4 teaspoon!

Comment

Working...
                              X