No announcement yet.

Is low fat primal possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Often, if someone has been avoiding eating fat like the plague, a sudden change to a high fat diet will cause an acute gall bladder problem. I guess what happens is the gall bladder doesn't get much use, sort of gets stopped up, then suddenly here's all this fat and it goes whoosh. Not saying this has happened to you. It probably hasn't.

Also, a dramatic change one way or the other in the diet means all the bacteria in your intestines have to change to a different mixture. Some bacteria are good at digesting fibrous vegetables, others and starchy stuff, etc. You stop feeding some of them what they want and they die. You start feeding some of them a lot more than they can eat, and it takes a little time for them to get numerous enough to help you.

I do believe you can get to a state where your body isn't a "fat burning" body. I was certainly there. It's a strange place to be and I could feel something was wrong with me but I couldn't explain it very well to my doctor. How could I be feeling like I was starving when I was so fat? My doctor (and anyone with an opinion) would just say you need more willpower. Anyway, a period of time low carb force my body out of that state (no willpower required) and now I have better metabolic flexibility now, although I'm still kinda fat and probably always will be.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Makoce View Post
        I switched over to primal over a month ago. I use to eat very low fat high carb which led to binging and feeling hungry every hour with shakey blood sugar crashes. But I had very healthy stools.

Now on high fat low carb I'm very satisfied and can even go 24 hrs without being hungry.

But I think the high fat is giving me serious GI problems.

I have watery diarrhea after every meal for the past few weeks. It's only gotten worse the more I continue to eat primally.

I plan on going to the doctors but I know it's gotta be the fat because I have IBS. I'm basically eating the same foods minus the processed stuff, grains, etc other than more fats oils and fattier cuts of meat

Where do I go from here if so...I like eating this way...
        I experienced this when i started paleo myself. it's the 'low carb flu' and it goes away. your body is adjusting to a drastic change in diet. it's completely normal.

and as for a "low fat paleo" it is possible but in no way sustainable, nor is good for you, nor is it delicious. It's ultimately doomed and pointless.
        March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
        Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

Originally posted by thehallowprince View Post
          I experienced this when i started paleo myself. it's the 'low carb flu' and it goes away. your body is adjusting to a drastic change in diet. it's completely normal.
          Well, having severe intestinal issues after every meal for weeks on end doesn't sound like 'low-carb flu' to me at all.

and as for a "low fat paleo" it is possible but in no way sustainable, nor is good for you, nor is it delicious. It's ultimately doomed and pointless.
          That's exactly how I feel about HFLC, and I'm speaking from experience.

Comment

Lol. I am HCLF and I love it. way mrie sustainable than LC for me... Meat and veggies gets old after a while but leaner meat along with yogurt, cottage cheese and fruits of the season never do.
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
            Professional Style Website.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

game meat is lean. veggies and fruits have little to no fat. so...why is paleo high fat? so if I kill a deer, eat as much of it as I can, and eat ton's of fruit and veggies, you're saying that my diet wouldn't be 1-sustainable, healthy, or delicious? why exactly?

Comment

Okay. My diet was lower fat for breakfast an lunch and I still had GI issues.
                I think my original speculation of not being able to digest plant matter is true as I had a cup of spinach with my eggs and a salad with sardines for lunch. then i had zucchini and bok choy with my chicken/white rice and was in the bathroom again.

How the hell do you eat primal or even healthy without veg.
                [ The Path of Healing Journal. ]

"Live in each season as it passes;
                breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
                and resign yourself to the influence of the earth."

Comment

Okay. My diet was lower fat for breakfast an lunch and I still had GI issues.
                  I think my original speculation of not being able to digest plant matter is true as I had a cup of spinach with my eggs and a salad with sardines for lunch.

How the hell do you eat primal or even healthy without veg
                  What did you eat when you were high carb low fat without plants? Or do you just not digest veggies as opposed to fruits/etc well?

You don't need veggies.
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

OH LORD, before I switched to Primal a normal day would be like ...

My Breakfast choices were:
                    - Highly processed sugary instant Quaker Oatmeal
                    - Honey Bunches of Oats with Skim Milk
                    - Just an apple
                    - Sometimes Egg whites

Lunches would be:
                    - Tons of fruit like a banana, another apple, pear, peach, etc.
                    - Peanut butter on toast
                    - Tons of low fat sugary yogurt
                    - Deli sandwhich on bread with like doritos or something
                    - fast foods a lot

Dinners would be
                    - Some kinda pasta like mac n cheese, goulosh, hamburger helpers, etc.
                    - Lean meats like chicken breast slathered in canned gravy and brown rice
                    - chilli and stews made in more processed canned crap.
                    - lots of pizza or calzones

After Dinner:
                    - id eat like rice cakes, microwaved extra butter popcorn, cakes, icecream, candy, etc all night long.
                    - I would have an apple/peanut butter and baby carrots every night.

THOUGH,
                    I did eat a lot of steamed/frozen vegetables with my dinners, but it was only either broccoli/carrots/cauliflower or peas, occasionally spinach. Just not in the quantity that I am now. And now even eating those are bothering me I think?
                    Id never eaten a salad in my life really till switching to primal. ( Whod of thought Id actually like them too! ). I use to hate veggies and now I love them.

( TMI alert )
                    My stools are watery and green-brown, and sometimes theres carrot or peices of leaf in there.
                    But theres also what looks like butter skimmed on the top sometimes ( why i thought fat was bothering me )

When I ate like how I listed above -- I had terrible shakes, was hungry every hour, cranky, dizzy, fatigued and generally always sugar crashing and having blood sugar issues.
                    I also binge ate a lot!

Now at least I can go 4 - 5 hours between meals, Ive even done a 24 hour fast and havent been hungry.
                    I also havent binged or had cravings, except when I go back to eating a lot of fruit.

The way I am eating now is working for me in EVERY aspect other than in the bathroom.
                    Last edited by Makoce; 04-10-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Take a day or two off from eating vegetables and allow yourself to stabilize. Then increase the vegetables to 1 small serving (1/2 cup) per per day. Let yourself adjust before increasing. If you eat a vegetable in that quantity and it gives you problems, stop eating it for the time being.

There is no reason to eat large volumes of vegetables.

Comment

Well I tried no spinach and no eggs. So far it's day 2 and I'm still having loose stools. I haven't even had any vegetables yet today other than a tiny piece of lettuce to wrap my burger in and still loose stools. I'm clueless.

And I know I just love large filling plates of steamed veggies so delicious! But I'll cut back and try that. Not sure what to replace it with in the meantime. I already struggle to reach my calorie goal and all this cutting out foods is making it harder. I already eat more meat than I need.
                        Last edited by Makoce; 04-12-2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Have you tried some soft white carbs yet? White Rice, some nice boiled or baked potatoes? Perhaps some chicken soup?
                          What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

I had a little white rice with my dinner the other day and it seemed to help but it could be coincidence.
                            Bbut I kinda got a carb-fearing thing going on
                            ( Due to fear of reverting to binging, and even though Im at maintenance... And on top of it I lost 60lbs before primal eating like 150 - 200 grams of carbs a day of processed foods lol. The low-carb cult got me. )
                            and Im a little apprehensive to eat potato and rice every day, you know? I am making some sweet potato tonight, though!

I did think of making some homemade stew or soup though, I did buy a whole chicken this week with that in mind.
                            Last edited by Makoce; 04-12-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I have ulcerative colitis, but my history is very different from yours, I'm sure. I have gone full primal just recently (2 weeks ago, or so). Because I have been having a lot of D (not the vitamin, for all of you who don't have IBS), I have stopped eating any cruciferous veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower and kale, completely, for now. There are plenty of other vegetables out there. And I don't eat the supposed optimal percentage of vegetables at this point, and I don't sweat it. I do eat lots of meat, some lean, some not, and I seem to be getting better. (I take meds for it too, so there's that. It's prob a combo of the two). I agree with others that say to take it easy on the veggies for a bit. You aren't going to harm yourself in any way. And just cook the veggies you do eat, if feasible. Everyone is different. Do what works for you. I'm not an experienced PBer, but I do have a lot of experience with colon problems. Good luck.

Comment

I had a little white rice with my dinner the other day and it seemed to help but it could be coincidence.
                                Bbut I kinda got a carb-fearing thing going on
                                ( Due to fear of reverting to binging, and even though Im at maintenance... And on top of it I lost 60lbs before primal eating like 150 - 200 grams of carbs a day of processed foods lol. The low-carb cult got me. )
                                and Im a little apprehensive to eat potato and rice every day, you know? I am making some sweet potato tonight, though!

I did think of making some homemade stew or soup though, I did buy a whole chicken this week with that in mind.
                                Dial fats back a bit when you up carbs, because high carb high fat = not good, and because you might have a caloric surplus.

Carbs don't make people fat! Overeating and processed foods do.
                                JOURNAL..
                                @BabesWithBBQ.
                                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                                X