Popcorn as a carb source?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn as a carb source?

Yeah, not exactly “primal", I know, but a few days ago I ate popcorn for the first time for years! Unsalted air-popped, zero fat, low calories and high fibers popped corn… I ate the corn very basic; almost without any salt, around 30 gram and I felt very full for hours afterwards on very few calories! Seem like popcorn can make some of the same feeling of fullness similar to potatoes and eggs if eaten without any added condiments.

So anybody that has any experience by dieting on popcorn or including it as a substantial carb source?

Can Popcorn Stave Off Hunger Cravings? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

I only eat it at the movies and theres a lot of butter and salt involved but it tastes great

Comment

I make popcorn at home every once in a while. Some sort of organic corn, popped in coconut oil, drizzled in melted kerrygold, and sprinkled with some fancy salt. Works for me

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMarduk View Post
        I only eat it at the movies and theres a lot of butter and salt involved but it tastes great
        I hate to break this to you...but that ain't butter
        __________________________________________________ _____________________________
        Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
        End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Not approved in the PB as it is a grain - but it won't kill you. Once a week - probably completely cool. As a primary carb source - not so much.

But eat it with some fat - grass fed butter to be exact.
          What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

A nice treat once every couple of weeks. Use organic non-gmo popping corn, popped in coconut oil and drizzled with Kerrygold butter and Real Salt.
            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

What I noticed was that I had very good energy when doing my morning sprints the day after, so I am going to try this out now! Here in my country it is common to put a bowl of unsalted popcorn on the table in many restaurants, to snack on it before the main course or to eat along with the soup as a starter.

Popcorn instead of rice or potatoes maybe?
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

+1 for homemade drizzled with Kerrygold butter. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka5280 View Post
                  I hate to break this to you...but that ain't butter
                  Right, and Santa isnt real. Nice try

Comment

What about just sprinkle some chili, whey, or cinnamon powder over, or eating them without anything added at all? Hmmm, I am glad that I found the old air popping machine that I haven't used for years...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMarduk View Post
                      "butter"
                      -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

I love popcorn with salt and nutritional yeast (and coconut oil.) It's heavenly. Not Primal, but meh. Delish! If you skip the coconut oil, nutritional yeast is virtually fat free and loaded with nutrients if you're going for low-fat and voluminous.
                        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I highly recommend "Tiny but Mighty Popcorn". It's a heirloom corn that is non-gmo. It's what we make when we go to the movies. (My wife has a big purse.)

It's tasty and fun to cook, kids enjoy it.

Tiny But Mighty Heirloom Popcorn ~ virtually hulless Non-GMO popping corn: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                            What about just sprinkle some chili, whey, or cinnamon powder over, or eating them without anything added at all? Hmmm, I am glad that I found the old air popping machine that I haven't used for years...
                            I do that sometimes too. Just a little butter, some cinnamon, and a tiny bit of sugar. You could use brown sugar too. So good that way

Comment

Doesnt popcorn also have the same prob of phytic acid etc as grains/seeds? I thot thats why corn shud be avoided?

Comment

Working...
                              X