Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massage coconut oil into your hair and put a plastic shower cap on or lay an old towel on your pillow. In the morning you can wash it off. If you don't want to use shampoo you can use natural herbal powders found in most Indian grocery stores - aritha (called soapnut in English) is the best at getting oil out. Amla and shikakai are great to use on days when you don't put oil in your hair - mix into a paste and leave on hair as a mask for 20 minutes before washing out with water.

ETA - BTW actually you should be concentrating on massaging the oil into the scalp. You do not need to out oil all over you hair right to the ends. You nourish the roots and the massage stimulates healthy growth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post

I tried not using shampoo or conditioner for a while, but it made my hair so horribly dry, frizzy, and stringy that I used shampoo again.
      if your hair is dry, shampoo is going to make it worse. instead of shampoo, try "washing" with conditioner. wet your hair, work the conditioner in all over, except not your scalp, comb and rinse with cool water. depending on your hair, you may get away with not even wetting it everyday.

you can try using a LOT less coconut oil. iow, don't glob it on, just use a very small dime-sized amount. there are other oils, like almond or argon, and other treatment masks, like egg/honey, that you can try too.

when i sleep with oiled hair, i put an old t-shirt over the pillowcase. i also use a t-shirt, not a towel, to dry my hair after my shower. just squeeze out as much water as you can with your hands, then wrap your hair up in the t-shirt for awhile. (the loopy nubs on towels can irritate dry hair even further.) after 15 mins or so, i style as usual, with a natural mousse and leave-in conditioner on the ends.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• ^I have tried just "washing" with conditioner. After about a week, my hair was disgustingly oily. It had so much conditioner residue on it that I could lean against a window and leave a greasy mark on it with my head. Yes--I did rinse thoroughly.

What I do now is only wash my hair about once a week, and only wet it twice per week. My hair is no longer dry and straw-like. I have long, thick wavy hair.
        Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
        Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
        Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
        F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
          if your hair is dry, shampoo is going to make it worse. instead of shampoo, try "washing" with conditioner. wet your hair, work the conditioner in all over, except not your scalp, comb and rinse with cool water. depending on your hair, you may get away with not even wetting it everyday.

you can try using a LOT less coconut oil. iow, don't glob it on, just use a very small dime-sized amount. there are other oils, like almond or argon, and other treatment masks, like egg/honey, that you can try too.

when i sleep with oiled hair, i put an old t-shirt over the pillowcase. i also use a t-shirt, not a towel, to dry my hair after my shower. just squeeze out as much water as you can with your hands, then wrap your hair up in the t-shirt for awhile. (the loopy nubs on towels can irritate dry hair even further.) after 15 mins or so, i style as usual, with a natural mousse and leave-in conditioner on the ends.
          I only wash once a week. Have been doing that since I was little:P. My hair isn't bad, just could be better. I never wet it, really. I have been doing a 30 min coconut oil "mask" for my hair before I wash it, but I might try the oil-while-sleeping method. (Although I might instead do oil-all-day, since I only shower in the evening:P). Could also definitely be the weather affecting my hair-it is SOO dry my fingers are cracking too.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedValkyria
            Noodle, how long did it take you to get past the "greasy" stage? Because as far as I've read, in the beginning, it's quite common to get that effect, right?

That being said, with all these descriptions, I'm just imagining your awesome manes and feeling very jealous ._.
            i held my breath waiting for my hair to get gross before it got good and that just never happened. i'd read about people getting valdez oil spill situations, but there was no awkward greasy transition phase for me. i changed hair products too and within a week my hair felt much softer. being a curly styling products are a must for me or i would look like little orphan annie, lol.

it's been 3+ years of no 'poo, 2 years of coconut oil deep conditioning and very gentle hair-care, plus 10 months of gelatin supp. my hair is a few inches longer, and you can tell when it's wet, but once dried and the curls wind back up it looks about the same, lol. although it is VERY thick, much moreso than before, i think i have reached my genetic max for hair-length. sadz. would love it to be past my shoulders when dry. no flowing waves here!!

Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
            I only wash once a week. Have been doing that since I was little:P. My hair isn't bad, just could be better. I never wet it, really. I have been doing a 30 min coconut oil "mask" for my hair before I wash it, but I might try the oil-while-sleeping method. (Although I might instead do oil-all-day, since I only shower in the evening:P). Could also definitely be the weather affecting my hair-it is SOO dry my fingers are cracking too.
            you may just need a more gentle shampoo.

on days nobody will see me i sometimes keep oil in all day, lol. i was a hermit this past weekend and my b/f was out of town so i oiled on friday night and reapplied it on sunday. kept my hair up in a bun the whole time. my hair felt like silk on monday. still feels great today! you might want to try some very intensive therapy for now and play around with other oils and masks.

don't "rub" your hair with a towel after wetting it. the nubs of the loops will irritate your hair. just use your hands to squeeze out the excess water. you can wrap up your hair for awhile in an old t-shirt to speed up the drying or just let it air-dry.

are you sure you are having enough fat in your diet? cracking skin shouldn't be happening...
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I read all of the way through the thread and dont remember seeing so I'll ask. Has anyone found a local source of geletin? Trader Joe's, Whole Foods etc?

Comment

• Gelatin | Broth: Resource Page | Gregory Taper

Comment

• This is COOL... thank you!!!
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                  Professional Style Website.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                  X