Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about gelatin. I bought some Knox. And, can I mix that into cold liquids? Or must I bloom it first?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Originally posted by Ummabeast View Post
      Question about gelatin. I bought some Knox. And, can I mix that into cold liquids? Or must I bloom it first?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
      It's not going to dissolve in cold liquid because it's the regular kind. It will just be grainy.

Blooming is for when you want to make jello, etc.
      JOURNAL..
      @BabesWithBBQ.
      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
      Professional Style Website.
      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
        Dropping this recipe here casually....

Banana "Ice Cream" Cake with Raw Chocolate Crust.

That looks amazing!

Comment

• Tecnical Q...
          I know pineapple makes gelatin not set properly. but wondering if...
          1-Add lotsa extra gelatin for high dose gelatine gummies... would it set?
          2 would it effect the effect of the gelatin ?
          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• gelatin contains bromelain which breaks apart the amino acids in the gelatin, thereby making it not set. MOAR gelatin won't counteract this. you can use canned or cooked pineapple because the heat breaks apart the bromelain.

have read that chili counteracts the bromelain but have not tried it.
            Last edited by noodletoy; 09-11-2014, 06:48 AM.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
              Tecnical Q...
              I know pineapple makes gelatin not set properly. but wondering if...
              1-Add lotsa extra gelatin for high dose gelatine gummies... would it set?
              2 would it effect the effect of the gelatin ?
              I use fresh pineapple to make gummies all the time. You don't have to add lots of gelatin to make it work, you have to cook the pineapple, I'll add some cut pineapple to a pot with a bit of water and sugar and bring it to a boil, let it simmer for a few minutes and then strain it, pressing all the juice out of the chunks. Then I add the gelatin. Works every time.

I'm not sure adding lots of gelatin to fresh pineapple would work but you could always do an experiment!

Comment

• Have a whole pineapple that needs used so will try the cooking thing.

Chili Pineapple... hmmmm.... maybe not
                Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Originally posted by RedValkyria
                  *hops on the gelatine-freak train*

Welcome to the dark side... we have gelatin cookies.

(And yes, my skin has improved since increasing gelatin. I think I might even look YOUNGER... which now means I get mistaken for 17 instead of 20 and isn't necessarily a good thing...)
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I use hydrolyzed. If it just has vanilla in it, that should be fine. If it has a bunch of other stuff, that is not.
                    JOURNAL..
                    @BabesWithBBQ.
                    #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
                      I think I might even look YOUNGER... which now means I get mistaken for 17 instead of 20 and isn't necessarily a good thing...)
                      Hah, so I should keep my fiance from it, then. For the first like year she and I were together, everyone thought I was with jailbait. We're like 3 months apart.

M.

Comment

• I don't drink oj much (only when I crave it; there is a quart I should probably throw out in the fridge). I drink coconut water way more as part of a smoothie.

I think pulp or no pulp is a personal preference. If you are eating plenty of other whole fruits, no reason why you cannot drink pulp free. It's more important to get oj that is not from concentrate.

Rice always fattens me up nicely unless I ate absolutely zero fat along with it (801010 style). XD Hence why I only have it about once a week (sushi!) when I am trying to lose.
                        JOURNAL..
                        @BabesWithBBQ.
                        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Pumpkin no-bake pie up at: www.gelatinrecipes.blogspot.com
                          JOURNAL..
                          @BabesWithBBQ.
                          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by RedValkyria
                            Update on my gelatine trip: skin is doing quite well. I forgot to mention that a week ago, I poured boiling water over my arm (let's say that it was late and I was tired...), and I didn't even get a single blister. The skin turned slightly brown and it's almost gone by now oO

My hair is improving as well. It's curly and very dry, for the water here is extremely hard, so it's been a disaster for years. But now, the improvements are obvious! It doesn't feel like dry grass when I touch it, and the curls are way bouncier.

My knee joint is complaining much either. I crouch down and stand up a bit scared of the consequences, yet they're still to come. I don't feel like anything ever happened, but this has definitely nothing to do with how I was before.

I'm taking organic, non-hydrolysed pork gelatine. I don't manage to find anything else here, and my economy isn't ready for Great Lakes yet. I also am a bit of an animal welfare advocate, and I prefer happy corn-fed pigs than unhappy-grass fed pigs... I'm in fact quite unsure of the full meaning of grass-fed...

If someone knows a brand which offers a combination of both and sells in Europe, I'm all ears.

I've also figured out that, in order not to starve after two hours and a half of eating breakfast, I've to eat some goat cheese on the side of my jello. Seems to have worked quite nicely this morning (:

So happy about finding out about all this gelatine thing! Thanks!!!
                            JOURNAL..
                            @BabesWithBBQ.
                            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I agree about the Great Lakes stuff, a real budget bitch ... It is a nice item to have around but you'd better be careful not to have it all the time, it goes fast ... That is why I rely much more on gelatinous bone broth and eat the gelatinous parts of meat when they are edible (aka I can chew them and enjoy them at the same time). Bones are dirt-cheap compared to the powder ... but if you can afford the powder, the ways you can use it are almost endless

Comment

• I do both bone broth and gelatin. Great Lakes (which is pastured pork and grassfed beef btw) isn't that expensive in the USA if you compare it to grassfed meats/dairy etc. $40 (2lbs) last me about a month. I would much rather skimp on quality cuts of meat/tons of cheese and get gelatin than vice versa. Pastured eggs, gelatin, organic potatoes, and some liver make my priority list. Everything else is the cheap stuff... Cottage cheese when it is on sale, beef/lamb on sale, bananas, medjool dates (currently really cheap), whatever fruits/tubers are on sale.
                                JOURNAL..
                                @BabesWithBBQ.
                                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                                X