Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
    now I can get punched in the nose and not worry about it.
    i know lawrence can be a rough town, but is this a thing for you?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

New post.

GELATIN RECIPES BLOG
      JOURNAL..
      @BabesWithBBQ.
      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
      Professional Style Website.
      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Has anyone else experienced a MUCH faster recovery from various injuries on gelatin?

This summer, I was moving around some furniture/etc. and sliced my knee wide open. It healed in less than 3.5 weeks.

Last Sunday, I was involved in a car crash. The car crashed into where I was sitting at a least 45mph (maybe way more), both cars were totaled, I had a giant bump on my head (at some point I had 4 giant bumps and looked like a Trekie), the other 4 people in my car sitting in other parts of the car all were advised to take pain pills and that we will be sore for a VERY long time. One of my car companions has been bed-ridden with aches this past week and I've felt 100% recovered (i.e. no soreness and the bump magically healed in no time) since 3-4 days post-crash. I stopped taking ibuprofen around the 36th hour post-crash. I had to travel by plane and carry my own 100lbs of luggage (a bunch of photoshoot clothes/jewelry) up and down the stairs around the 48th hour post-crash even though I wasn't supposed to lift anything heavy. :P

I've been taking around 1T to 1/4 cup for a year now and post-car crash I made sure I got at least 1/4 cup in daily. I was trying to get my car crash companions to take some gelatin but they just think I'm crazy. (Somehow they'll rather self-medicate with ___ and alcohol, oh welllll.)

I would love to think I'm just superwoman but obviousllllly it's the gelatin right?
        Last edited by TQP; 09-01-2014, 04:46 AM.
        JOURNAL..
        @BabesWithBBQ.
        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
          Just wanted to share a gelatin concoction

I've never been a fan of jello so in an attempt to eat more gelatin I thought making a banana jello might make it a little smoother and less like the translucent jello I never liked as a kid.

2 med/large bananas
          1 cup water
          2 tbsp gelatin - bloomed
          tbsp vanilla extract, tsp almond extract

Heat bananas and water in a pot and mash up the bananas as they cook. Simmer too sweeten. Add in extracts (I find the touch of almond extract to sweeten it just a bit). I'm sure butter or coconut oil to fry the bananas and caramelize them would only improve this. Add in bloomed gelatin and stir. Put in container and cool. This firms up a lot - not just like jello since I'm using so much gelatin - more like gummy bear consistency. I really like them and eat a chunk of this each day + a piece with each low gelatin meat serving (burger, chicken thigh, etc).

My nails have definitely gotten much stronger since I've been increasing gelatin (only 2-3 weeks at this point) and my ankle pain is greatly diminished. Not sure about causation here but I'm not complaining!
          Yayyy.
          JOURNAL..
          @BabesWithBBQ.
          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Hi TQP. Since you seem to be the authority on here about everything gelatin, I was wondering if you know if gelatin can help with peri-menopausal symptoms, primarily hot flashes/night sweats. Normally a great sleeper, I've been suffering for a month now and am looking for a natural method to deal with them and hopefully restore my shut-eye.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pamela M View Post
              Hi TQP. Since you seem to be the authority on here about everything gelatin, I was wondering if you know if gelatin can help with peri-menopausal symptoms, primarily hot flashes/night sweats. Normally a great sleeper, I've been suffering for a month now and am looking for a natural method to deal with them and hopefully restore my shut-eye.
              Hmm. Not sure about that function of gelatin, as gelatin is just a connective tissue-related supplement and not a hormonal supplement.

1. You can try it. It can only be a positive change.

2. How low carb are you? When did you go low carb vs when did you transition to peri-menopausal?
              JOURNAL..
              @BabesWithBBQ.
              #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I'm not vlc. I average around 100 of carbs a day, but I can go up to 150. At that level I've maintained my ideal weight for years.
                It's the sweet spot for me. I'm 54 and have been in P.M. for about 6 to 8 months. I'll have periods where the hot flashes
                disappear for weeks. Those are particularly wonderful weeks.
                I have read that gelatin can aid in a deeper sleep, and I suppose that is the angle from where my question stems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pamela M View Post
                  I'm not vlc. I average around 100 of carbs a day, but I can go up to 150. At that level I've maintained my ideal weight for years.
                  It's the sweet spot for me. I'm 54 and have been in P.M. for about 6 to 8 months. I'll have periods where the hot flashes
                  disappear for weeks. Those are particularly wonderful weeks.
                  I have read that gelatin can aid in a deeper sleep, and I suppose that is the angle from where my question stems.
                  You can try gelatin. The reason that gelatin might aid in deeper sleep is likely because gelatin's amino acid composition balances out that of muscle meats, etc. Too much of particular amino acids over others can produce a cortosol (stress) response. I am not sure if gelatin would help you unless you eat a very high amount of protein at dinner time. (For optimal sleep, eat most of your proteins earlier during the day and save your fats & carbs, especially carbs, for afternoon/evening. Various studies have been conducted on the consumption of various macros at different times versus sleep quality. Eating carbs and to a lesser extent fat in the evening correlate positively with sleep quality whereas eating protein in the evening correlates negatively. )

Two other possible products to look into are magnesium and potassium. I personally love eating a banana before bed...it gives me really great sleep since it has both those and carbs. A few people on MDA use mineral spray nightly for good sleep.

The reason I asked about carb intake is because different people need different amount of carbs to function optimally and low carb insomnia is very common. Carbs are needed to manufacture melatonin.

Finally, you might want to pop over to the RS thread to read about gut health and deep sleep. I'm not the authority on this... tatertot is.
                  Last edited by TQP; 09-03-2014, 11:01 PM.
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Thanks TQP! Some good information there. I did sleep better last night; at least I think I did - could be wishful thinking. I took a Tbsp of gelatin in my soup at lunch and another Tbsp in my rooibos tea early in the evening. I trust that's sufficient.
                    I'll try the banana before bed tonight.

My gut health is perfect. I've been into RS for months. My body responded positively from the first dose, and I credit that to years of eating well, with plenty of pre and pro-biotics. So yes, I have happy bugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
                      You can try gelatin. The reason that gelatin might aid in deeper sleep is likely because gelatin's amino acid composition balances out that of muscle meats, etc. Too much of particular amino acids over others can produce a cortosol (stress) response. I am not sure if gelatin would help you unless you eat a very high amount of protein at dinner time. (For optimal sleep, eat most of your proteins earlier during the day and save your fats & carbs, especially carbs, for afternoon/evening. Various studies have been conducted on the consumption of various macros at different times versus sleep quality. Eating carbs and to a lesser extent fat in the evening correlate positively with sleep quality whereas eating protein in the evening correlates negatively. )

Two other possible products to look into are magnesium and potassium. I personally love eating a banana before bed...it gives me really great sleep since it has both those and carbs. A few people on MDA use mineral spray nightly for good sleep.

The reason I asked about carb intake is because different people need different amount of carbs to function optimally and low carb insomnia is very common. Carbs are needed to manufacture melatonin.

Finally, you might want to pop over to the RS thread to read about gut health and deep sleep. I'm not the authority on this... tatertot is.
                      I can't say I dug deep into all possible mechanisms explaining the virtues of RS, gelatin, etc, but I can guaranty that these things do wonders on sleep, skin, energy, immune system, hair, etc.

I eat a lot of bone broth, gelatin, prebiotic foods, etc. And the difference with a few years ago is outstanding! I also look much better at 40 y.o than at 30

Comment

• Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                        I can't say I dug deep into all possible mechanisms explaining the virtues of RS, gelatin, etc, but I can guaranty that these things do wonders on sleep, skin, energy, immune system, hair, etc.

I eat a lot of bone broth, gelatin, prebiotic foods, etc. And the difference with a few years ago is outstanding! I also look much better at 40 y.o than at 30
                        Sounds all good to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
                          Has anyone else experienced a MUCH faster recovery from various injuries on gelatin?
                          I don't take nearly as much gelatin as you or some of the others on this thread, but I have noticed improvements in injury recovery. I have a long history of what I call "sloppy ankles." I've had majors sprains to both which has left the joints permanently prone to repeat injuries. I've definitely noticed that if I roll my ankle during a soccer game or something the swelling is much decreased and pain goes away much faster. (And yes, I am taping both ankles and wearing a brace during sports and doing PT and I STILL have issues... thanks Obama). I attribute this at least in part to collagen intake, as the last time I had a sprain bad enough to need crutches for a few days I had already been eating primal for over a year. In the 4 or 5 months since I have started taking collagen, I haven't had any injuries that even approach that level. And I have been playing MORE soccer than I was before.
                          No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                          -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• omg this is so cool! For you science geeks, here are the scientific properties of gelatin (scroll down).

Gelatin (gelatin sheets and gelatin powder) | Molecular Recipes
                            JOURNAL..
                            @BabesWithBBQ.
                            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Dropping this recipe here casually....

Banana "Ice Cream" Cake with Raw Chocolate Crust.

Originally posted by RedValkyria
                              I'm SO looking forward to move and have access to a kitchen.

I've started to bike again, because it's cheaper and my body an mind were screaming for it. But since I sprained my knee in December 2012, the recovery has taken the pleasure out of my life - and now that I thought I was ready for it, I can barely crouch down without wincing ):

I've also hypermobility, so when I walk, I end up twisting my ankles maaany times. I wear boots, I wear braces, I do exercises... Whatever. It's a nightmare.

So I've my gelatine somewhere among my packed things, and I'll start the experiment as soon as Tuesday. After all you talk about here, it just makes a lot of sense!

Let food be your medicine - not ibuprofen >_>
                              Please update us on how adding gelatin might change things! I'm really trying to get my mother to start taking gelatin. I am trying to get the whole family hooked on this stuff but they are stubborn. She started using it for about 1 week and then stopped because they started moving houses.
                              JOURNAL..
                              @BabesWithBBQ.
                              #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by RedValkyria
                                I will (:

And I feel you... Small changes are sometimes perceived as threat/impossible.

When I visit my parents, I like to cook one day for them. I try to keep all cereals out of the table (just one meal!), and my Goddess. So much drama. I guess it's clear from who I hold my stubbornness from...
                                Haha yeah! It's so true. My parents WILL now cook as many things as they can with olive oil (stir fried veggies/meats) when I visit though... And mom will usually make baked meats/fish without oils a couple of times. Never mind she used beer to marinade the pork ribs last time so it wasn't gluten-free, but she is obviously trying to cater to me.

They also keep tons of fruits in stock. They just don't want to change themselves... But by cooking for me they eat slightly healthier (they eat what I eat plus flour goods and rice) when I'm in town.
                                JOURNAL..
                                @BabesWithBBQ.
                                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                                X