Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    I did bloom it first, and it started smelling right away. I hoped the pureed strawberries would take away the smell, but sadly no.

    I've used this same gelatin (red can) in savory broths & sauces, but haven't noticed the smell until I made dessert. I've used Knox before for desserts with no noticeable smell or weird flavor. Hmm. Maybe I'll try again with another stronger flavor, some lemon juice & sweetener.
    Ive noticed Knox actually dissolves more easily, and doesn't smell. It also requires more Knox gelatin to gel compared to Great Lakes. Sometimes I get clumps that never dissolve w/ Great Lakes, even though I bloom it properly. I might switch to Knox after I finish up Great Lakes, since grass-fed doesn't really matter when it comes to gelatin.

    Comment


    • i use a whisk to mix it and it needs several rounds of whisking.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

      Ernest Hemingway

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
        Ive noticed Knox actually dissolves more easily, and doesn't smell. It also requires more Knox gelatin to gel compared to Great Lakes. Sometimes I get clumps that never dissolve w/ Great Lakes, even though I bloom it properly. I might switch to Knox after I finish up Great Lakes, since grass-fed doesn't really matter when it comes to gelatin.
        Thanks, I think I'll also use Knox for sweets and use up the Great Lakes in savory foods. I like the Great Lakes green canister to mix in smoothies, so I'll keep that up too. All of this is trying to help my creaky soccer-damaged knees.
        Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

        Comment


        • Newwww post guys!!!

          Collagen Queen: Favorite Smoothie Recipes With Gelatin
          JOURNAL..
          @BabesWithBBQ.
          Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
          Professional Style Website.
          #TeamBrisket Shirts

          Comment


          • I've just found this make of beef gelatine

            Beef Gelatin Powder - 1 lb.

            which claims to be organic... So I've bought a 1lb pack - less than half the cost of Great Lakes, here in the UK. Hope it's good stuff!!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
              I've just found this make of beef gelatine

              Beef Gelatin Powder - 1 lb.

              which claims to be organic... So I've bought a 1lb pack - less than half the cost of Great Lakes, here in the UK. Hope it's good stuff!!
              Did you order it online or is there a store in Sussex which sells this gelatin?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Koa View Post
                Did you order it online or is there a store in Sussex which sells this gelatin?
                I got it from Amazon.co.uk. Yesterday it was 14.42, sold by Purely Health. I see that today, someone else is selling it for 38.40. SO worth waiting for Purely Health to relist it....

                Comment


                • I have been taking at least 4 T (~1/4 cup) of collagen hydrosylate every day for the past month. On Thursday, it will have been one month since I took my starting photo. I wanted to see how much my hair would grow . No idea if it's faster than it would have grown otherwise, but I'm definitely continuing the experiment. My nails have been very happy with the collagen. I'll post the before & after hair-growth photos on Thursday.
                  Depression Lies

                  Comment


                  • Having found that Now beef gelatine can't be shipped by iHerb to the UK (probably something stupid to do with BSE in 1997) I've been looking at other sources of gelatine which are affordable and found this

                    Gelatine Powder 500G (Professional strength 240 Bloom) | eBay

                    Is pork skin gelatine as good as other types??

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by breadsauce View Post

                      Is pork skin gelatine as good as other types??
                      Yeah, no beef gelly here :P

                      I get the pork gelatine from this place MM Ingredients - Supplying those hard to get ingredients
                      Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

                      http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

                      Comment


                      • Sorry, there's so much to wade through in this topic. What does Ray peat suggest in terms of gelatin, beef or pork?

                        Comment




                        • Can you even tell that it grew? Well, I can now put my hair into a tiny ponytail or pigtails. 4 TB of collagen hydrosylate (Great Lakes Gelatin) every day. I'll continue the experiment for my nails at the very least. I have to decide if I want to trim the back to even everything out or just let it grow wild for a bit.
                          Depression Lies

                          Comment


                          • Just wanted to share a gelatin concoction

                            I've never been a fan of jello so in an attempt to eat more gelatin I thought making a banana jello might make it a little smoother and less like the translucent jello I never liked as a kid.

                            2 med/large bananas
                            1 cup water
                            2 tbsp gelatin - bloomed
                            tbsp vanilla extract, tsp almond extract

                            Heat bananas and water in a pot and mash up the bananas as they cook. Simmer too sweeten. Add in extracts (I find the touch of almond extract to sweeten it just a bit). I'm sure butter or coconut oil to fry the bananas and caramelize them would only improve this. Add in bloomed gelatin and stir. Put in container and cool. This firms up a lot - not just like jello since I'm using so much gelatin - more like gummy bear consistency. I really like them and eat a chunk of this each day + a piece with each low gelatin meat serving (burger, chicken thigh, etc).

                            My nails have definitely gotten much stronger since I've been increasing gelatin (only 2-3 weeks at this point) and my ankle pain is greatly diminished. Not sure about causation here but I'm not complaining!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post


                              Can you even tell that it grew? Well, I can now put my hair into a tiny ponytail or pigtails. 4 TB of collagen hydrosylate (Great Lakes Gelatin) every day. I'll continue the experiment for my nails at the very least. I have to decide if I want to trim the back to even everything out or just let it grow wild for a bit.
                              gelatin success stories? YAH!

                              Maybe it's something else, but consuming 3tbs/day of gelatin has stopped my nose from bleeding. It used to just bleed looking at it wrong, now I can get punched in the nose and not worry about it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                                gelatin success stories? YAH!

                                Maybe it's something else, but consuming 3tbs/day of gelatin has stopped my nose from bleeding. It used to just bleed looking at it wrong, now I can get punched in the nose and not worry about it.
                                I've been a bit lazy about my collagen intake so far this month, but my hair is still growing at a noticeable rate. It's been so long since I grew it out to this length, I don't know if this is a normal rate or not, but it feels thicker to me.

                                Oooo I've always suffered from nosebleeds in the winter. Maybe gelatin will help with that a bit. I used a neti pot for most of last winter and that helped a lot.
                                Depression Lies

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X