Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey I love this thread! Question for gelatin experts... I have been googling up a storm trying to find out if I can make jello jigglers out of puréed mango. Has anyone done this?

Several websites say mango has the same enzyme that pineapple does which prevents gelatin from firming up... But I need firm! (This is for my kiddo's school birthday treat to share next week)

If no one knows, I can experiment, but I don't want to use all my fresh mangos & gelatin up if someone knows the answer.

If mangos won't work, I'll use some berries, but the kiddo loves mango.
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
      Hey I love this thread! Question for gelatin experts... I have been googling up a storm trying to find out if I can make jello jigglers out of puréed mango. Has anyone done this?

Several websites say mango has the same enzyme that pineapple does which prevents gelatin from firming up... But I need firm! (This is for my kiddo's school birthday treat to share next week)

If no one knows, I can experiment, but I don't want to use all my fresh mangos & gelatin up if someone knows the answer.

If mangos won't work, I'll use some berries, but the kiddo loves mango.

It solidifies.

http://gelatinrecipes.blogspot.com/2...ardRecipe.html
      JOURNAL..
      @BabesWithBBQ.
      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
      Professional Style Website.
      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
        Awesome, thanks! I might try with coconut milk too; that sounds like a delicious combo. Wonder if I have to increase the gelatin to make it extra firm?

Comment

Awesome, thanks! I might try with coconut milk too; that sounds like a delicious combo. Wonder if I have to increase the gelatin to make it extra firm?
          2T per 8oz creates a pretty firm product. I usually like a "normal" firm so 1-1.5T gelatin/8oz fluid for me.
          JOURNAL..
          @BabesWithBBQ.
          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I used 2T per 8oz last week and it was quite firm like Jigglers, maybe even a little firmer. I scaled back to 1T in the coconut milk for the layer on top and I would say it was still Jiggler like.

Comment

• for our jigglers i use 5T in a quart of juice -- roughly the same as tqp's ratio. these are still firm enough to be finger food. 6T was a little too hard and weird.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Says firm even at room temp?

M.

Comment

• well, i store them in the fridge, but yeah, they don't melt when i plate them. i take 2-3 and eat them with my fingers.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• I made a test batch of jigglers with strawberries/strawberry juice. The 2T per 8oz was the perfect consistency to eat by hand.

BUT it was disgusting. The smell, the taste... There is no way I can eat this. Is it even possible for gelatin to go bad? I used the red Great Lakes canister, and it smells ok at room temp. As soon as it mixed with liquid, it emitted a strong smell. Bad batch? Am I missing something?

Comment

I made a test batch of jigglers with strawberries/strawberry juice. The 2T per 8oz was the perfect consistency to eat by hand.

BUT it was disgusting. The smell, the taste... There is no way I can eat this. Is it even possible for gelatin to go bad? I used the red Great Lakes canister, and it smells ok at room temp. As soon as it mixed with liquid, it emitted a strong smell. Bad batch? Am I missing something?
                      Yes, I noticed this too when I first started using gelatin. It has a certain gelatin smell. I've gotten used to it, but I don't make jellies because of this reason. I always add it to something like chocolate avocado pudding or banana ice cream or something, to mask the taste of the gelatin.

Comment

• i notice the smell when i open the canister or am mixing up a batch, but once it's stirred and set i don't notice it. i also use pretty strong flavored juices, like blueberry or black raspberry.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

I don't know... I tend to not notice the gelato taste in jello...then again I make it with vanilla bean, maple syrup, and milk/coconut milk, so tons of competing flavors.

Did you hydrate/bloom the gelatin in cold fluids first?
                          JOURNAL..
                          @BabesWithBBQ.
                          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
                            Did you hydrate/bloom the gelatin in cold fluids first?
                            I did bloom it first, and it started smelling right away. I hoped the pureed strawberries would take away the smell, but sadly no.

I've used this same gelatin (red can) in savory broths & sauces, but haven't noticed the smell until I made dessert. I've used Knox before for desserts with no noticeable smell or weird flavor. Hmm. Maybe I'll try again with another stronger flavor, some lemon juice & sweetener.

Comment

• how long is cooked gelatin good for?

I made some "jello" last wednesday with 1 packet gelatin, water, stevia, and cocoa powder. then i pureed it so its like pudding right now. Is it still good? almost a week later? I forgot about it and its just been chillin in my fridge.

Comment

• If it smells fine, it is fine.
                                What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Working...
                                X