Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nevermind... will probably stick with frozen fruit... I unfortunately hate jello... thx for the info though

    Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
      My face isn't actually oily, its just pimply and kind of dry if that makes sense. I have heard of benefits of coconut oil for skin, but there's so many types out there I don't know which is the one you use for skin, and I also hate the smell of coconut if I'm using it as a body product. I'm worried about the coconut smell, and it's always like $15/jar, so I've been reluctant to ever buy coconut oil-Any place to get it affordably?
      Hair-haha I have never washed my hair more than 2x a week since I was a kid, out of pure laziness. Again, too lazy to ever do anything to my hair other than blow dry. I tried just mostly air drying and blow drying only on the cold setting a col nights ago-not sure if it helped.
      My neighbor cooks with LouAna coconut oil from WalMart or the local grocery store because it doesn't have a coconut smell or taste. Personally, the more scent/taste the better, but to each their own! I would think it's refined so no idea about it's usefulness for skin care. I slather it on skin and add a teensy bit to my coarse, humidity-sensitive hair, which is usually air-dried (my hair, that is.)
      Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

      Comment


      • I got my cylinder of Great Lakes protein last Friday. So my backstory is I've been obese for practically my whole life. I got a new job where I have to walk for over an hour during my commute every day and there's also some standing, walking, lifting, etc. on the job. That coupled with having no car and walking everywhere on the weekends in my city has given me crippling joint pain. I've been using NSAIDs for a few years just so I can do the things I need to do to get around. They have a range of side effects and to be honest they only take the edge off of the pain.

        I've been losing weight slowly by eating primally over the past year (50 lbs lost so far). This has helped immensely but I still have pain in the meantime. I mean to lose weight slowly because I think that's the best way to go for my health and metabolism. Three weeks ago I quit coffee because it was making me moody- this made a big difference in my joint pain, big enough that I quit taking the NSAIDs although I was in quite a bit of pain still. I then decided I'd try gelatin since so many people seem to have noticed that it helps their joints.

        So I've been taking two tablespoons worth of gelatin per day. I took a cup of dry gelatin (16 tbsp) and made jello by mixing it with hot water and then pure pomegranate juice. When it set I divided it into sixteen squares and I eat one square in the morning before I go to work and one in the evening after dinner. I didn't notice much until a day or two ago, but every day I have less and less pain. Today I have almost no pain- maybe a little stiffness after waking up or sitting for long periods. I'd say it has reduced my pain by 80%. My ankles and knees are not swollen, and they are more stable than I can remember in a long time.

        I cannot believe how much better I feel. I was a 28 year old who limped around like an old lady for a long, long time. Now I walk around like normal, even midweek when it was the worst. Thank you so much for this thread!
        My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

        Comment


        • WOW!!!!!! that's totally great.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

          – Ernest Hemingway

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Nourished View Post

            So I've been taking two tablespoons worth of gelatin per day. I took a cup of dry gelatin (16 tbsp) and made jello by mixing it with hot water and then pure pomegranate juice. When it set I divided it into sixteen squares and I eat one square in the morning before I go to work and one in the evening after dinner. I didn't notice much until a day or two ago, but every day I have less and less pain. Today I have almost no pain- maybe a little stiffness after waking up or sitting for long periods. I'd say it has reduced my pain by 80%. My ankles and knees are not swollen, and they are more stable than I can remember in a long time.

            I cannot believe how much better I feel. I was a 28 year old who limped around like an old lady for a long, long time. Now I walk around like normal, even midweek when it was the worst. Thank you so much for this thread!
            This makes happy. it was my intended effect for starting a thread...
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
            Professional Style Website.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Nourished View Post
              I got my cylinder of Great Lakes protein last Friday. So my backstory is I've been obese for practically my whole life. I got a new job where I have to walk for over an hour during my commute every day and there's also some standing, walking, lifting, etc. on the job. That coupled with having no car and walking everywhere on the weekends in my city has given me crippling joint pain. I've been using NSAIDs for a few years just so I can do the things I need to do to get around. They have a range of side effects and to be honest they only take the edge off of the pain.

              I've been losing weight slowly by eating primally over the past year (50 lbs lost so far). This has helped immensely but I still have pain in the meantime. I mean to lose weight slowly because I think that's the best way to go for my health and metabolism. Three weeks ago I quit coffee because it was making me moody- this made a big difference in my joint pain, big enough that I quit taking the NSAIDs although I was in quite a bit of pain still. I then decided I'd try gelatin since so many people seem to have noticed that it helps their joints.

              So I've been taking two tablespoons worth of gelatin per day. I took a cup of dry gelatin (16 tbsp) and made jello by mixing it with hot water and then pure pomegranate juice. When it set I divided it into sixteen squares and I eat one square in the morning before I go to work and one in the evening after dinner. I didn't notice much until a day or two ago, but every day I have less and less pain. Today I have almost no pain- maybe a little stiffness after waking up or sitting for long periods. I'd say it has reduced my pain by 80%. My ankles and knees are not swollen, and they are more stable than I can remember in a long time.

              I cannot believe how much better I feel. I was a 28 year old who limped around like an old lady for a long, long time. Now I walk around like normal, even midweek when it was the worst. Thank you so much for this thread!
              Awesomeness. Thanks for sharing! Very motivating to keep on top of gelatin intake.
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

              “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Nourished View Post
                I got my cylinder of Great Lakes protein last Friday. So my backstory is I've been obese for practically my whole life. I got a new job where I have to walk for over an hour during my commute every day and there's also some standing, walking, lifting, etc. on the job. That coupled with having no car and walking everywhere on the weekends in my city has given me crippling joint pain. I've been using NSAIDs for a few years just so I can do the things I need to do to get around. They have a range of side effects and to be honest they only take the edge off of the pain.

                I've been losing weight slowly by eating primally over the past year (50 lbs lost so far). This has helped immensely but I still have pain in the meantime. I mean to lose weight slowly because I think that's the best way to go for my health and metabolism. Three weeks ago I quit coffee because it was making me moody- this made a big difference in my joint pain, big enough that I quit taking the NSAIDs although I was in quite a bit of pain still. I then decided I'd try gelatin since so many people seem to have noticed that it helps their joints.

                So I've been taking two tablespoons worth of gelatin per day. I took a cup of dry gelatin (16 tbsp) and made jello by mixing it with hot water and then pure pomegranate juice. When it set I divided it into sixteen squares and I eat one square in the morning before I go to work and one in the evening after dinner. I didn't notice much until a day or two ago, but every day I have less and less pain. Today I have almost no pain- maybe a little stiffness after waking up or sitting for long periods. I'd say it has reduced my pain by 80%. My ankles and knees are not swollen, and they are more stable than I can remember in a long time.

                I cannot believe how much better I feel. I was a 28 year old who limped around like an old lady for a long, long time. Now I walk around like normal, even midweek when it was the worst. Thank you so much for this thread!
                I'm so, so glad to hear that! I'm young as well and I know the frustration of feeling joint pains and like your body isn't working optimally.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TQP View Post
                  I know vitacost has a giant 5lb jar that is affordable. Might also have a 1lb version.

                  It does kinda smell. I heard eating coconut oil or eating raw minced garlic also helps when acne.

                  Your acne sound like the cause is hormonal. Are they mostly on your forehead and cheeks?
                  I don't think I want to invest in a 5lb or even 1 lb jar since i've never bought it before 0.0
                  My cheeks are always wonderfully acne-free, most of it is on my forehead, like from my eyebrows to near my hairline.

                  Comment


                  • Thought of this thread while making *jello* jigglers today.

                    2 1/2 cups fruit (we usually use frozen strawberries, blueberries or mango)
                    1/2 cup lemon or lime juice - simmer until fruit is soft
                    1-2 TBSP honey - I like them tart so usually only use 1 TBSP - the kids prefer them sweeter

                    blend with immersion blender and slowly add 1/2 cup gelatin.

                    Once all mixed pour into a parchment paper lined 8x11 pan and let set. Cut into cubes and enjoy!

                    Comment


                    • I just bought some powdered gelatin. It has sulphites and preservative 220 but i think its still okay. How should i consume it? do i put it in juice or coffee? I put it in cold water and it didnt gel up so it should be fine in cold drinks.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
                        I am about 1/2 way through my 3rd cannister of Great Lakes hydrolyzed gelatin. ~4Tbs/day. Motivated mostly to maintain my joints so I can continue to run well past my current 60 yo age.

                        Unexpected positive benefit: I've noticed recently while shampooing my hair that my scalp, which is normally problematic with dandruff, etc. has become as clear and smooth as it has been since my youth. I still have a full head of hair, albeit gray, so not an impact highly noticeable by others, but my fingertips are picking up a distinctively different feel.
                        Finished off the 3rd cannister today. It occurred to me that I no longer have to remove hair from the shower drain 1-2 times week. It has been hair-free for maybe a month. Maybe this is related to overall scalp health, but for whatever reason I am no longer losing any hair when shampooing.

                        No claims here that gelatin will cure baldness. As I said before, I have no signs of that, but it is definitely a good feeling to know I am keeping 100% of what I have. Another unexpected benefit.

                        3 more full cannisters in the cupboard. I wonder if I've hit the point of diminishing returns? It'll be interesting to see if there any clear benefits after my hair completely re-grows while on the gelatin supplement, but that'll be a few months down the road.
                        Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                          I just bought some powdered gelatin. It has sulphites and preservative 220 but i think its still okay. How should i consume it? do i put it in juice or coffee? I put it in cold water and it didnt gel up so it should be fine in cold drinks.

                          ^^^^^^^

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                            ^^^^^^^
                            Refer to the "gelatin" section.

                            http://www.gelatinrecipes.blogspot.c...-recipes.html?
                            JOURNAL..
                            @BabesWithBBQ.
                            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                            Professional Style Website.
                            #TeamBrisket Shirts

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TQP View Post
                              does it matter, nutritionally if it's not hydrolyzed? as far as I can tell, it's not, but upon putting it in juice, it doesn't turn into gel, but when stirred thoroughly just sort of makes this sandy texture, it's fine enough to drink.
                              Sorry, I know I'm asking to be spoon fed.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
                                does it matter, nutritionally if it's not hydrolyzed? as far as I can tell, it's not, but upon putting it in juice, it doesn't turn into gel, but when stirred thoroughly just sort of makes this sandy texture, it's fine enough to drink.
                                Sorry, I know I'm asking to be spoon fed.
                                No.
                                JOURNAL..
                                @BabesWithBBQ.
                                Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                                Professional Style Website.
                                #TeamBrisket Shirts

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X