Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE and COOLEST gelatin thread EVER MADE.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When you are talking about gelatin here, do you mean just the kind you can get in a food store.....unflavored packets of dried gelatin?
    (sorry if the answer is in the thread....I have read 4 pages of it but don't have time to read the whole thing)

    I want to try it because my fingernails, which have always been strong, are splitting and breaking. (I don't care to grow them long or anything, but splitting indicates poor health).

    Comment


    • you can buy unflavored knox, but most of us are using either great lakes or now brand, both of which come from better sources than knox.

      both are sold on amazon.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

      Ernest Hemingway

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sonora View Post
        When you are talking about gelatin here, do you mean just the kind you can get in a food store.....unflavored packets of dried gelatin?
        (sorry if the answer is in the thread....I have read 4 pages of it but don't have time to read the whole thing)

        I want to try it because my fingernails, which have always been strong, are splitting and breaking. (I don't care to grow them long or anything, but splitting indicates poor health).
        Get whatever brand you want, but yeah, unflavored. Though yes, noodle is right on with NOW and Great Lakes being from more ethically sourced and raised meats. This is nutritionally not an issue though because in a product that is fat-free like gelatin, there is little to no risk of contamination in the product.

        Also, if your nails are getting weaker as you say, you might want to get more sulfur in your diet. Sulfur is also an essential ingredient in the formation of collagen, bones, and cartilage. Eat lots of garlic, onions, eggs, and perhaps consider some MSM powder.

        Oh, and vitamin C, about 500 mg every two or so hours (because otherwise it's mostly pissed out and unused) because without vitamin C the body cannot manufacture collagen and cartilage, even if all of the other pieces are in place.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

        Comment


        • I use Knox, I get what I can get (I am boycotting Amazon for reasons that are irrelevant to gelatin).
          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

          Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
          Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
          Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
          F/23/5'9"

          26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by kathleen View Post
            I use Knox, I get what I can get (I am boycotting Amazon for reasons that are irrelevant to gelatin).
            Vitacost?
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
            Professional Style Website.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Drumroll View Post

              Also, if your nails are getting weaker as you say, you might want to get more sulfur in your diet. Sulfur is also an essential ingredient in the formation of collagen, bones, and cartilage. Eat lots of garlic, onions, eggs, and perhaps consider some MSM powder.

              Oh, and vitamin C, about 500 mg every two or so hours (because otherwise it's mostly pissed out and unused) because without vitamin C the body cannot manufacture collagen and cartilage, even if all of the other pieces are in place.
              you may be my savior.

              have been using gelatin and home-made kefir since late january, but am having trouble with split fingernails the last 2 months or so. it's weird because they were always pretty strong and i DO eat lots of eggs and garlic. will start supplementing with c and see what happens. local fruit season is still a distant hope and i haven't been eating much in the way of red or yellow veggies.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

              Ernest Hemingway

              Comment


              • how do you take the msm and where do you get it?

                gah, i already feel like i take too many potions with daily gelatin, potato starch, kefir milk and water, vitamin d3 and magnesium citrate pills, lol.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                Ernest Hemingway

                Comment


                • Noodle, those are some really good baseline supps! I know how it feels to feel like you're taking a lot (I've taken a lot...like 15+ caps a day) and it's always relieving to be able to cut down.
                  Depression Lies

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    you may be my savior.

                    have been using gelatin and home-made kefir since late january, but am having trouble with split fingernails the last 2 months or so. it's weird because they were always pretty strong and i DO eat lots of eggs and garlic. will start supplementing with c and see what happens. local fruit season is still a distant hope and i haven't been eating much in the way of red or yellow veggies.
                    I'm a savior now?

                    Uh-oh... Watch out guys. Jesus has some new competition and his name is Drumroll!

                    By the way, for the vitamin C, don't get caught up in these ridiculous "whole food" vitamin C "complexes." I mean hell, Linus Pauling, PhD, a two time winner of the Nobel prize and a biochemist was researching the treatment of heart disease and cancer patients with pure ascorbic acid powder. His results were so good, that even now, the NIH has just funded a ton of research into using intravaneous ascorbic acid powder as a large-scale cancer treatment.
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      how do you take the msm and where do you get it?

                      gah, i already feel like i take too many potions with daily gelatin, potato starch, kefir milk and water, vitamin d3 and magnesium citrate pills, lol.
                      MSM Qs? Wow, I thought I was practically the only one around here who uses MSM for anything at all!

                      MSM is "methylsulfonomethane" a form of sulfur that your body metabolizes as a major byproduct of the chelator known as DMSO.

                      Methylsulfonylmethane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

                      Right now I have a bottle of Bluebonnet MSM but there are a ton of brands and I know Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, etc. all sell it as do a bajillion online vendors. Just make sure, that like with theanine pills needing to say "suntheanine" on the bottle, your bottle of MSM says "OptiMSM" somewhere on it. This verifies the source of MSM your brand uses has been tested for impurities and toxins and should be 100% sulfur.

                      Here's some info on what MSM does:

                      Are the Health Benefits of MSM Related to Sulfur?
                      MSM For Healthy Hair, Nails & Skin
                      MSM improves hair growth

                      Edit: If you REALLY want to up your sulfur intake... Garlic Tweaked with MSM - YouTube
                      Last edited by Drumroll; 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                      Comment


                      • ok. will give it a shot.

                        thanks.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                        Ernest Hemingway

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                          ok. will give it a shot.

                          thanks.
                          Welcome noodle!

                          Admittedly, some of the info on MSM is still being investigated, but it shows promise in many areas.

                          Maybe your experience can provide some valuable insight. Let us know if it solves your nail issues and maybe some you didn't even know you had?

                          It's very synergistic with gelatin if nothing else.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                          Comment


                          • and there would seem to be no down-side... other than the 6 weeks they say it takes to see results.
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                            Ernest Hemingway

                            Comment


                            • The end of the first paragraph here

                              Methylsulfonylmethane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

                              startled me...

                              Comment


                              • That's how those cancer detecting dogs get you, I guess.

                                M.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X