Low fat/ Lean Protein snack ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low fat/ Lean Protein snack ideas?

I am having trouble meeting my target range for Protein. I have no trouble getting my fat in. Can you suggest some snacks to help get in all my protein without adding too much extra fat?

Thanks!
    Tonya

Jerky? Protein shake?

Comment

Beef jerky
      Low fat plain yogurt (Additions: fruit, cocoa powder, mini chocolate chips, unsweetened shredded coconut)
      Macaroons made with egg whites
      Cottage cheese (Additions: fruit, cocoa powder, mini chocolate chips, unsweetened shredded coconut)
      Sliced chicken breast (Presentation: skewers, wrapped in lettuce, marinated in buffalo or BBQ sauce, etc, it's even good cold)
      Frozen yogurt - an ice cream maker is a great investment for this reason
      Straight up milk by the glass
      Homemade rice pudding: rice, low fat milk, gelatin, eggs, raisins, cinnamon

Those are mostly my go-to's.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese

Comment

Hydrolyzed gelatin- super easy, dissolves in any liquid
          My trick is also to put a little egg white in stir fries at the very end-doesnt impart an eggy taste but just be careful not to overcook

Comment

1% cottage cheese is pretty good, especially if you add something like fruit/honey/cinnamon etc. Same with low fat yogurt or kefir. 1% milk is good if you like milk. I eat a good amount of shrimp too. Chicken breast if you like that (I don't haha).

Adding gelatin powder into the cheese/yogurt/drinks/rice/oatmeal/eggs when cooking them etc adds more protein.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Alfi56 View Post
                My trick is also to put a little egg white in stir fries at the very end-doesnt impart an eggy taste but just be careful not to overcook
                Gelatin is not anabolic protein. It is definitely useful and healthy, but its use is for structure - hair, nails, connective tissue, etc. If you are trying to hit a protein goal for athletic purposes gelatin protein does not count towards the goal. You need protein from eggs, meat or dairy for that.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                  Gelatin is not anabolic protein. It is definitely useful and healthy, but its use is for structure - hair, nails, connective tissue, etc. If you are trying to hit a protein goal for athletic purposes gelatin protein does not count towards the goal. You need protein from eggs, meat or dairy for that.
                  Then my protein intake for the past 2 months has been a lie! Noooo!
                  In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Liquid egg whites in a carton. Sounds scary, but I promise it's just 100% egg whites. Yolks are probably used for mayo, sauces, gelato, etc. Add it to smoothies or add some to your scrambled eggs/omelettes. I have seen a bodybuilding chick drink this with a scoop O_O

Venison, lean beef, lean ___ meat, low fat kefir/yogurt/cottage cheese, whey protein powder in smoothies, gelatin (I still count this in my protein intake as long as I have other protein sources), tuna (blech but good protein source), lean seafood.

Turkey bacon if you do turkey...although that's a lot of salt et al...

Making a egg white + egg + gelatin omelette + 1/2 cup of melty (not all brands melt the same way; some just get watery) cottage cheese as the filling + some turkey bacon is pretty delicious and you get a ton of protein in at once.
                    JOURNAL..
                    @BabesWithBBQ.
                    Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                    Professional Style Website.
                    #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                      Then my protein intake for the past 2 months has been a lie! Noooo!
                      I'm completely serious. Gelatin is great for your joint health, hair and nails. That's it. It is useless for muscle growth. Taking gelatin post-workout will do nothing for your gains. Nothing. It is non-anabolic. Grams of gelatinous protein do not count towards protein intake. Pounding 100g of protein a day from gelatin is 0g of protein a day.

I add it to the foods I make - ice cream, soups, stews...anything broth-based. It is so good for you. But it does not count towards any kind of goal.

I do not recommend the use of any kind of powders and I believe whole foods are superior 100% of the time. That even includes gelatin. However, if you insist on using some type of powder, this is probably your best bet:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Pro...d+whey+protein

My intake of protein powder is 0 - I do not own or buy it - but if I were to, this probably beats everything. There are no ingredients other than whey and it is totally flavorless, so you can hide it in essentially anything. Since there are no fillers cutting the protein (like cocoa in chocolate whey protein, even), you get far more servings per tub than normal so it is truly a good deal in terms of protein per dollar.

Those are probably the "cleanest" ingredients you'll find on any type of whey powder. I'm guessing the lecithin is only there to prevent caking, which is understandable, and if anything soy lecithin seems to actually be somewhat beneficial...weird. Mark seems to like it...
                      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-21-2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        I'm completely serious. Gelatin is great for your joint health, hair and nails. That's it. It is useless for muscle growth. Taking gelatin post-workout will do nothing for your gains. Nothing. It is non-anabolic. Grams of gelatinous protein do not count towards protein intake. Pounding 100g of protein a day from gelatin is 0g of protein a day.

I add it to the foods I make - ice cream, soups, stews...anything broth-based. It is so good for you. But it does not count towards any kind of goal.

I do not recommend the use of any kind of powders and I believe whole foods are superior 100% of the time. That even includes gelatin. However, if you insist on using some type of powder, this is probably your best bet:

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate, 100% Pure 5Lb (Packaging May Vary): Health & Personal Care

My intake of protein powder is 0 - I do not own or buy it - but if I were to, this probably beats everything. There are no ingredients other than whey and it is totally flavorless, so you can hide it in essentially anything. Since there are no fillers cutting the protein (like cocoa in chocolate whey protein, even), you get far more servings per tub than normal so it is truly a good deal in terms of protein per dollar.
                        Totally facty and truthy. Sorry Jeffers.

And that particular protein powder is excellent and can be found cheaper in some of the darker recesses of the internet. You can get a 10-lb bag for just over $100 shipped. Ask me how I know.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          Ask me how I know.
                          you stayed at a holiday inn express?

Comment

Awesome thanks! I don't know how I overlooked egg whites, that would be perfect!

Comment

Guess I'll need to quit that habit of mainlining 100 g of gelatin per day . Nah, but meat, eggs, and dairy are the way to go for getting enough protein.
                              In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Working...
                              X