Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak and Eggz, March 2014 Let's DO this!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BamaAla View Post
    Yeah, I did not communicate my point well. I was wondering if anyone had experienced negative issues with energy levels while doing S&A. Should I anticipate scaling back my non-essential activities?

I 'must' walk the dogs that far daily and I 'must' work. The work is very demanding, lots of lifting and pulling in what will soon be very hot and humid Alabama.
    Yeah you will be fine. I've noticed no dip in energy while doing this, except after a refeed in which I do feel sluggish.

Comment

• had a crappy cut of steak last night. super tough made me sad. I totally want to make up for that garbage tonight but i also want ice cream. WHAT A TERRIBLE LIFE.

Comment

• Couple nights ago I had a dozen pastured egg scramble with my dubliner melted on top and tapatio for some zing. I also spice up my eggs with quite a bit: cumin, tumeric, tarragon, salt, pepper, garlic, cajun, cayenne. I cooked a heap of mushrooms into it too. and cooking medium per usual was my grassfed beef fat.

Last night I went a little crazy... my girlfriend wanted to have a burger with me and my ground beef is packaged in 1 lb bags... in order to not be wasteful, I had to man up and eat 1.5 lbs of burgers (my girlfriend utterly impressed me by finishing her entire 1/2 lb burger). There was a couple eggs worth of leftovers from the night before as well. Burgers were topped with dubliner for 2 of them and blue cheese for 1.

JM: crappy steaks are sad. try a meat tenderizer, they do worlds of good. A simple hammer-like one will work for most cuts, but blade meat tenderizers will take care of pretty much anything: Amazon.com: Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer: Sports & Outdoors

BamaAla: If you are used to low/very low carb consumption already then steak & eggs shouldn't be too rough of a transition even with an active life/job. You may have some "low carb flu" type symptoms at first, and this length of time will depend on how well your body currently utilizes fats for energy. The steak and eggs template, by design, allows for a carb-up every 3-4 days so you could try a couple rotations at least to see how well you cope, using sweet potatoes, squash, less carb-dense fruits (stick to berries preferentially), or maybe even plain white rice if you tolerate it. Whole food sources are best.

Comment

• When you do a refeed how much fat do you consume that day? Can steak and eggs plus carbs be OK? I think maybe that was my problem during my reefeeds was too much fat or maybe just too many calories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
            When you do a refeed how much fat do you consume that day? Can steak and eggs plus carbs be OK? I think maybe that was my problem during my reefeeds was too much fat or maybe just too many calories.
            My "refeeds" are fairly minimal in carbs, and also fairly rare.. once every 1-2 weeks. A typical re-feed will be 4-6 oz organic ice cream, 6-8 oz frozen mixed berries, and 4-6 oz almond butter (maybe some homemade whipped cream if I'm feeling adventurous). None of these are overly carb-dense, and I'd estimate a total of ~80g of carbs in the whole thing.

Suffice to say, my refeeds are not your refeeds. But when I do them, I eat them on top of my regular food choices, and don't typically try to adjust anything in my meal. I truly use it as a treat, and it typically aligns with some sorta work out in the same day or subsequent day.

The sources of carbs are also going to make a difference here. Aside from the ice cream, which may have a little added sugar, the majority of my refeed is carbs mixed with the rest of their natural package - berries, almonds, and dairy. If you choose to eat candy, then that is going to have a different effect, since it is likely pure sugar in a non-natural package. Ditto this point to most things made from grains, since they are so far from their natural state and typically stripped of everything.

If it were me doing more excessive re-feeds, i.e. 200-300+g carbs, then I would definitely adjust my meal's macros, and eat more ala the Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health method. This would mean on the refeed/high carb days keep protein normal but fat very minimal by eating leaner meat cuts and not having cheese. Then on non refeed days, it would be normal S&E, nothing else.

Comment

• yeah i was re-adjusting my meal to compensate for the carbs i was eating.

I made my niece some bread pudding with a bread i made out of sweet potato flour and whey powder a few days ago and then this morning was messing around and baked a few apple slices with sweet potato flour/butter crumble on top. I totally want to try some of that. Considering doing a refeed of sorts tonight. I have some turkey breast tenderloins thawing out right now. Thinking of going with a bunch of that, 3 eggs, 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 small sweet potato, some broccoli, and a tab bit of ice cream. in addition to the apple crumble and like a bit of the bread pudding. We'll see how this goes.

Comment

• I'm having like anxiety right now about whether to eat the carbs today. I think I've developed some kind of disorder.

Comment

• Time to end steak and eggz then.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    Time to end steak and eggz then.
                    Absolutely.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Nah not quitting I'm just really enjoying the leanness.

Comment

• Hi,

I've been reading this thread lately and S&E sounds very interesting. I just love ribeye and I'm eating eggs every day anyway, so I'm gonna give it a go starting tomorrow morning. I've got a few very stubborn pounds around my waist, hoping to lose them before summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                          Nah not quitting I'm just really enjoying the leanness.
                          Don't let this become a problem, sir!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jamie Madrox;1458052]
                            http://i.imgur.com/ODeJ8X5.jpg

Originally posted by sjoshua View Post
                            Don't let this become a problem, sir!
                            A very real concern to me at this point. Maybe I'm wrong ( I hope I am), but there's a difference between lean and just skinny, and it looks to me like JM is very close to getting sucked down the manorexia rabbit hole if he's not already there.
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• [QUOTE=Misabi;1465097]
                              Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                              http://i.imgur.com/ODeJ8X5.jpg

A very real concern to me at this point. Maybe I'm wrong ( I hope I am), but there's a difference between lean and just skinny, and it looks to me like JM is very close to getting sucked down the manorexia rabbit hole if he's not already there.
                              So long as there are muscles over those ribs. That's the crossover point I think, at least from what I've seen in "a certain part of my dietary past" (not trying to call people out here). When the bones become more pronounced than muscles, you have (and probably had) a problem! I think JM's just skinny.

Comment

• [QUOTE=RittenRemedy;1465176]
                                Originally posted by Misabi View Post

So long as there are muscles over those ribs. That's the crossover point I think, at least from what I've seen in "a certain part of my dietary past" (not trying to call people out here). When the bones become more pronounced than muscles, you have (and probably had) a problem! I think JM's just skinny.
                                And trying to get skinnier..
                                I don't mean to offend you Jamie, just concerned.

I hadn't realised how skinny I'd gotten a few years ago until my friends and family made me realise. In my mind I was just lean. My waist was almost 28", chest under 38" and biceps/triceps had vanished, but definition was still there so I was golden. It wasn't until I actually got the tape measure out and saw the numbers that I realised how small I'd gotten.

I want weighing or measuring my food, or counting calories, just eating too my appetite. I also wasn't doing any LHT at the time either, just plenty of walking. Due to this combination, I hadn't realised how much I was under eating as I just want hungry.

I still don't weigh and measure, but I did for a while as i had to relearn how to eye ball how much food I need to maintain/increase muscle mass. For me, S&E was actually key in demonstrating how much I should be eating too gain muscle while getting leaner (without going down the high carb/high protein bulk and cut or loss of cardio route is used in years gone by).

Comment

Working...
                                X