Bacon: lets talk salt.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon: lets talk salt.

I want to buy the best cuts of bacon, but cant afford it, lets face it bacon has lots of salt by deffinition.

Can anyone suggest how to make your own cuts of pork taste like proper bacon?

OR....

strategies to reduce the salt in shop bought bacon????

Cheers!
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

reduced sodium variety?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

didnt know about that,, hard to find? expensive?!

Comment

I have considered making my own bacon in order to save some money and avoid the nitrates, (though there's some debate about how bad they really are) but I haven't tried it yet. For one thing it still requires copious amounts of salt as that's part of what makes bacon "bacon", though at least you would have some control over the amounts. Here's a great article about how to make bacon yourself: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net...n/makingbacon/ It also talks about what cuts to use for different kinds of bacon (e.g. pork belly for streaky bacon, loin for back bacon).

As far as shop bought bacon, you could probably reduce the salt content by soaking it in fresh water for half a day or so, maybe change the water every few hours. I just don't know if it's worth it. I hear a lot of conflicting arguments about salt. I figure bacon is one of the few sources of salt in a primal diet (without all those processed foods), so as long as I don't overdo it it shouldn't do any harm!

Comment

When I ate bacon (I do not eat any pork products anymore) I used to soak it to remove the salt. I would freshen the water now and then and it worked out really well. It cooked up normally in a little unsalted butter.

Keep it in the fridge while soaking it. I simply put the whole pound in my largest pot, kept it covered in the fridge and took out what I wanted to cook when I felt like eating.

Comment

Cheers guys, i thought about soaking but its so much effort, and the thing is I enjoy it soo much I will overdo it! i dont think salt is hard to find in primal due to natural salts in meat.... but like canadianwomen i want to restrict the amounts of pork products

Comment

Costco sells uncured nitrate free bacon (Coleman's brand). I think three packages run $9. The uncured bacon has less than half the salt of typical bacon. You can also buy low sodium bacon that is not any more expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
                Cheers guys, i thought about soaking but its so much effort, and the thing is I enjoy it soo much I will overdo it! i dont think salt is hard to find in primal due to natural salts in meat.... but like canadianwomen i want to restrict the amounts of pork products
                The soaking is a pain in the keester but it is worth it. By the way I restrict pork products because I cannot find any grassfed pork in my area. When I eat conventional pork products from my local supermarket my arthritis/inflammation flares up badly. I want to try grassfed pork to see if the same thing happens so I can figure out if it is a reaction to the pork itself or to whatever the pigs are being fed. I am hoping it is whatever the pigs are being fed because I miss bacon and sausages.

Comment

Originally posted by kansascitysteve View Post
                  Costco sells uncured nitrate free bacon (Coleman's brand). I think three packages run $9. The uncured bacon has less than half the salt of typical bacon. You can also buy low sodium bacon that is not any more expensive...
                  Cheers next time Im near a costco Ill check it out! altough my local supermarket in here in the uk doesnt sell reduced salt bacon

Comment

Check with your local butcher as well. Mine smokes his with locally grown wood chips, and I love it. Not salty at all. Freaking fabulous stuff, no curling of the meat as it cooks, the fat crisps up nicely and the meat is oh so yummy. They also add omega 3s to the feed. (They grow, breed, slaughter and butcher their own)
                    SW: 235
                    CW:220
                    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

The low sodium varieties run about the same. If you have HEB or Central Market near you, I've taken a liking to the central Market bacon. Nitrate free and seems to be less salty.
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by canadianwoman View Post
                        The soaking is a pain in the keester but it is worth it. By the way I restrict pork products because I cannot find any grassfed pork in my area. When I eat conventional pork products from my local supermarket my arthritis/inflammation flares up badly. I want to try grassfed pork to see if the same thing happens so I can figure out if it is a reaction to the pork itself or to whatever the pigs are being fed. I am hoping it is whatever the pigs are being fed because I miss bacon and sausages.
                        I'd say the pork that causes you problems is all grain fed pork. Grass fed isn't the answer though. Pigs are natural scavengers and omnivores. I'd start looking for a small farmer who might grow pigs on the side and who feeds them meat and vegetable scraps etc. I'd even chance a small bit of grain in their diet as long as it wasn't their sole food source. Pigs are a very close species to humans but with a digestive system slightly bigger, comparitively, than ours. That suggests that pigs are adapted to eat a diet similar to humans but are able to digest a little more green stuff that we humans would find hard to digest.

A grain fed pig is like a grain fed human. Fat, sick and repulsive. Hence why eating it would make you sick. A grass fed pig is like a vegan. Lacking in muscle development and chronically starving. You want to get a pig that is like a poster on this forum, one who eats meat, vegetables, some fruit and maybe a little grain here and there.
                        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

OMG. treid the soaking the bacon in water thing today. It worked too well, the salt went and the bacon was tasteless! It probably doesn't help that it was cheap mass produced cuts that I can afford atm, but Im worried now that the only reason people here are so in love with bacon is the salt content! without it its just, well thick ham lol and even ham has salt added usually!

I know if you live fairly primal it shouldnt cause a problem for your salt intake, but still....!

Comment

Working...
                          X