No announcement yet.

What Are Your Children Eating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "kids" are 31, 28, 19 and 17. Speaking from experience, offspring learn by example. One of the funniest memories of my first daughter's babyhood is something that happened as we were checking out at the grocery store. She was about 3 yrs old. She was standing eye to eye with the tempting candy display, but she reached into the cart, picked up a green pepper, and took a bite. You should have seen the look on the cashier's face. I also can still see her standing in my little garden patch, disappearing into the tall snap pea plants, to pick her lunch, the pea pods, and eat them. My 19 and 17 yr olds just came to visit me here in Miami Beach and without fail they ordered water with meals out. Neither of them have any desire for soda. When they were growing up, they thought soda was for holidays, 'cuz it WAS! The 19 yr old LOVED frozen veggies for a snack as a toddler. All four of my kids are very health conscious, no preaching required.

So, bottom line is, relax, eat as healthily as you can, and share the goodness with the kiddos. Yes, they will eat atrocious things at school and at grandma and grandpa's house, but overall, the apple never falls far from the tree. Just be sure you fill the house with delicious, nutritious whole foods and nothing else and that YOU are a good, strong, healthy tree!

Comment

My kids do not eat bread. My son wasn't sleeping and finally taking him off gluten solved so many problems. So my family doesn't eat wheat. They do eat some rice and quinoa. Limited amounts of sugar... very limited.

The rest of their diet is just like mine... meat and veggies... bacon and eggs...i just serve them more rice than I eat.

I do serve them gluten free organic cereal and milk in the morning half the time (to save time).

Comment

Originally posted by netbum View Post
        My "kids" are 31, 28, 19 and 17. Speaking from experience, offspring learn by example. One of the funniest memories of my first daughter's babyhood is something that happened as we were checking out at the grocery store. She was about 3 yrs old. She was standing eye to eye with the tempting candy display, but she reached into the cart, picked up a green pepper, and took a bite. You should have seen the look on the cashier's face.
        To some extent, some kids are just like this regardless of the parenting. My sister's kids get their share of junk, although they do get home cooking almost every night. And she's had at least two that could never stay out of the broccoli in the shopping cart. And she has one that's overweight, but still will stand around the kitchen eating cilantro out of hand. And another one, a 20-something boy, lives on junk food, but stops by his mom's whenever he can just to fix himself a salad.

I guess they aren't without good influence. I think the daily home cooking, whatever it consists of, makes a big difference. But they're not primal or low carb in the least.

Comment

My daughter is 22 months old and eats no grains or sugar. Then again, she is on GAPS due to gut issues (been on it for 6+ months I think). She doesn't drink any fluid milk, but does eat a lot of homemade yogurt smoothies with berries. I make her almond crackers to go with her tuna salad (Wild Planet minimal mercury). She eats tons of eggs, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, onions, mushrooms, fruit, guacamole, and MEAT. I swear she's a carnivore. Meat, meat, meat. She is very muscular already so maybe that's why? She does have a propensity for raisins, but whatever. She's a kid and she's eating no grains. She will try most vegetables, but won't always eat them. Although yesterday my husband made her a taco salad with romaine, grass-fed beef (not seasoned with a packet because that's a GAPS no-no), cheese, onions, and a bit of strained yogurt posing as sour cream. He said she ate the whole plate. Very low carb and she's satisfied. I figure she gets enough carbs from the fruit she eats.

Comment

I second the fact that kids won't starve themselves. My daughter's favorite food was rice before I had to put her on GAPS. She could eat a plate of rice. And she still remembers rice and if she sees it, goes crazy. I have given her some rarely (maybe twice), but generally she understands she cannot have it. And at first, she would scream for me to open the pantry for cheerios. She just got used to it. Now she generally has yogurt with a little honey for breakfast. Has a smoothie for a snack. Had tuna salad (no mayo) and homemade almond crackers for lunch. Raisins and cheese for a snack. Veggie omelet with a side of zucchini & onions (lots of butter) and watermelon/canteloupe for dinner. Generally she eats meat for lunch and dinner, but sometimes she requests eggs or an omelet, like today.

Comment

One more thing: I don't usually do processed meats. But I occasionally make her meatballs (mostly lamb with some onions/parsley/seasoning and an egg and bit of almond flour to bind it) and freeze them for her lunches. They literally take less than 20 minutes to bake and I can freeze 2 pounds at a time. She LOVES them. Then again, I'm convinced she's a carnivore.

Comment

Working...
              X