No announcement yet.

What Are Your Children Eating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished feeding my girls lunch and as I watched them crush their food, I thought, wow, this is impressive. They had a large smoothie (made with whole milk, coconut milk, spinach, avocado, 1/2 apple & berries), 1 hard boiled egg, few tiny pieces of rib eye steak and pork sausage, couple pieces of banana nut butter wrap (funny, they tossed the wrap and ate the banana!), and finally a few spoonfuls of yogurt (full fat) with chopped nuts, raisins and cinnamon that I soak in a dish overnight.

Comment

The lunches at my son's school are awful too! They serve lots of nuggets and things that don't even resemble real food. I participate in the WatchDOG program a couple times every year and I'm revolted by what they serve there. They ask me if I want to have a school lunch when I'm there. What I want to say is "No thank you, I'm IFing right now, but even if I weren't and I were really hungry still I wouldn't touch anything here." I stop at the "No, thank you" part.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

kmacphee,
        My two boys would love to come eat at your house! They are 7 and almost 5. They're happy here and we're pretty primal, but our natural doc recently took ds1 off of dairy, nuts, and peanuts in addition to suggesting we keep him off of the grains we haven't eaten in a few months. (This is all to address some inflammation that kept leading to breathing issues...thankfully it has cleared right up, but the diet has been hard.) It's been easiest to just have the whole family avoid these foods, though we do have some raw milk and fage yogurt (mainly for dh) plus soaked/dehydrated almonds available since they're not a huge temptation for ds1. Both boys are eating MUCH MORE without the grains *and* the dairy (favorite foods beofre would have been soaked oatmeal and raw milk).

They typically start the day with a "fruit course" while I'm preparing some protein (possibly with a veggie). Then they typically have a fruit snack (or a grain for ds2 if he's at school) around 10:30. Then protein, a veggie, and a fruit packed in the lunch (we're excited to have more options now that lunch will be consumed immediately). I typically bring a protein and/or fruit and/or veggie at pick-up (around 3:30). They might even snack more once home and then they have a dinner with protein and veggies (rarely fruit at night). Like I said, my 7 yo ds who's always been small is packing away adult + portions now!

Anyway, here's what they ate yesterday as an example:
        breakfast
        farm fresh smoked bacon
        over easy eggs cooked in farm fresh bacon grease
        avocado

snack
        fruit (banana?)

lunch

grilled chicken
        broccoli
        fruit salad (chopped pineapple, apple and kiwi)

snack

us wellness hot dog (we love these!)

dinner

Dover sole fillets with steamed carrots
        grilled kale

I think that's all. ds2 wants me to read a book so I need to run...

Comment

Chameleon...

Thanks. We have been working slowly towards a more paleo style plan although we do allow some grains and treats as they will be given some in the real world so we don't want to be iron fisted. We feel that if we do 85-90% paleo/primal at home, they will most likely continue to do so as they get older and leave the nest. The other 10-15% is saved for grandparents, and the 1-2 pieces of bread they get through the week, along with some pasta and a few other treats. If I eat like that on occasion, I guess it wouldn't be good leadership if I were to force them into something else.

Looks like you have your boys pretty well handled! Tough to do with allergies. We went through an elimination process with one of our girls because she has a mild eczema on her hands, and joint creases. Still haven't found the culprit but plan to go for allergy tests soon.

Comment

Such an interesting thread guys.

I'm new to Primal myself so of course my son is none the wiser. I would just like some advice on how to make a 4-5 year old transition from eating (and loving) CRAP FOOD into eating a healthy one like the primal diet. I feel like i'm being horrible when i give him some veg and he doesn't eat it and i then keep telling him to eat it and emphasising how good it is for him etc. But he hardly touches it. My only thought to accomplish this, believe it or not, is to starve him. In other words, give him a healthy meal with meat/fish, and veg, and if he doesn't eat it simply say "OK". Then when he asks for something else (probably beans on toast or some other rubbish) just say "No, you should have eat the dinner i gave you". Repeat this for a couple of days until he just gives up and eats it cos he's so hungry.

I mean it is just sooooo hard when they have had taste for these addictive but really unhealthy foods. Its all they want to eat if they haven't been fed the right stuff from the start with consistently. Is there an easier alternative to transition them, is my way too harsh? or OK?
            One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

It's not like our ancestry children turned their noses away from a nice bit of meat and veg and asked for some ice cream. they was hungry so they eat it without complaining. Its just annoying at how much bad food is now available for our kids. I cant blame their young minds for wanted it over the healthy stuff.

Comment

My kiddo is almost 5 months right now, so he's 99.5% breastmilk. The .5 is the occasional "is he interested in regular food yet?" "treat" that the people around me (husband, sister, mother) have been giving him when I'm not around. They know the ABSOLUTELY NO GRAINS I WILL KILL YOU AND EAT YOUR FACE rule, but my husband let him gnaw on a huge hunk of steak a few weeks ago to help with the teething and my sister and mom like to let him suck on huge, whole carrots. I'm not thrilled with how everyone's pushing for him to start eating real food (dude, his first tooth JUST broke through the skin, give the boy a month or two, GEEZE) but since I can't watch him 100% of the time, getting on them over it seems like too much drama to be worth it. At least it's steak and carrots not pureed baby slop.

If you want a cool read, check out (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...ef=oss_product) or (http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-What...tt_at_ep_dpt_1). Good reading.

Comment

Wow, I wish my 2 year old would eat more meat. If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Breakfast: whole milk, scrambled egg w/ a little cheese and some fruit (banana, blueberries, pear, cantaloupe), sometimes avocado
                  Lunch varies, but it's often an almond butter and jelly sandwich, cheese and fruit. Cheerios w/ whole milk
                  Dinner: I'll sneak some chicken in a cheese Quesadilla, apple sausage, steamed carrots, zucchini, sweet potatoes, avocado, occasionally a piece of bread

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                    Such an interesting thread guys.

I'm new to Primal myself so of course my son is none the wiser. I would just like some advice on how to make a 4-5 year old transition from eating (and loving) CRAP FOOD into eating a healthy one like the primal diet. I feel like i'm being horrible when i give him some veg and he doesn't eat it and i then keep telling him to eat it and emphasising how good it is for him etc. But he hardly touches it. My only thought to accomplish this, believe it or not, is to starve him. In other words, give him a healthy meal with meat/fish, and veg, and if he doesn't eat it simply say "OK". Then when he asks for something else (probably beans on toast or some other rubbish) just say "No, you should have eat the dinner i gave you". Repeat this for a couple of days until he just gives up and eats it cos he's so hungry.

I mean it is just sooooo hard when they have had taste for these addictive but really unhealthy foods. Its all they want to eat if they haven't been fed the right stuff from the start with consistently. Is there an easier alternative to transition them, is my way too harsh? or OK?
                    I think if he is around during meal prep time then let him choose the vegetables he wants. Just ask like, "do you want carrots or broccoli or zucchini with dinner?" when he chooses one (or more) have him help you peel it, or just watch you cut it up. Let him try some raw or just play with the peels or whatever. I know it sounds silly, but I involve my girls in meal prep all the time and I think this is how they have developed their taste for everything. They taste everything raw. They munch on raw onions, peppers and broccoli stems while I chop and they are more likely to eat it cooked when they have seen it go from whole form to end product.
                    Also, I don't think what you said is too harsh as long as you don't have the food in the house. Witholding something that is in the house might not be good. A 5 year old wouldn't understand that. We have a rule in our house that if it's there then it's free for the eating. If we have the occasional bag of chips around and they ask for chips then they get some. We try not create any negative experiences with food or to give them the impression that any one food is more important than another. We just serve up good food and let them decide and if that's nothing then so be it. A child will eat when they are hungry enough! Try extra butter and spices as well to make it interesting. I let my girls smell all the spices I use when I'm cooking and now they love curries and spicy foods!
                    Hope this helps!

Comment

Great thread,

I have a 14 and a 16 year old both girls.

My 14 year old is 85% primal, she has completely given up wheat and mostly avoids all grains. She does enjoy making some somewhat primal deserts, gluten free baked goods, but this isn't really often.

My 16 year old is a little more resistant and about 70% Primal. She still eats some bread and cereal type foods. But today she had a BLT that was really a BLT. Bacon and tomato wrapped in lettuce and kept going on about how good it was even without the bread The funnest thing she has said to me is "I don't care that you have lost your belly I WANT REAL spaghetti!! I had to laugh and made a small batch of noodles for her. really the last two months she has been asking for grain based foods less and less.

Both of my kids have slimmed down a little since I went primal, but neither was ever really overweight.
                      Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Katie82 and Kev...great tips. I agree with the fact that getting them involved is important. When our girls were infants, I would sit them in their bumbo chairs on the counter to interact with me while I chopped and prepped all the meals. This gave us time together while they watched me work in the kitchen. Now, at 15 months, when I cook they want to be with me, so I give them some stuff and let them play. My hope is that this will carry on into their youth, teens and adult years. Best times are spent in the kitchen...I am from the Maritimes (Nova Scotia) and our culture was formed in the kitchen.

I also agree with the rule that if it is in the house it is free game. Not fair to play games so if you don't want them to eat certain things, don't take them off the shelves.

I like the BLT idea for breakfast! Could use fried, scrambled, hard boiled or poached eggs, bacon, and even tomato wrapped in lettuce. That's on my list for this week! Maybe for next Fatty Friday. I will just increase the eggs and bacon. Would work really well as a breakfast wrap as well! So many ideas so little time!

Comment

Kate82, thats great advice. much obliged .

1. eliminate bad food from the house (everything else is free to go)
                          2. involve him with food prep (try make it fun)
                          3. my way isn't too harsh as long as the bad food is eliminated to not be unfair and/or tease him.

Should I keep deserts in the house? Like a reward for eating the good stuff? Maybe just do this initially until he's settled with primal-like meals?
                          Last edited by Ollie; 05-29-2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

I think it's not a good idea to use treat foods as a reward. That's happened already in our house and I think it just encourages a dysfunctional relationship with food. I like the suggestion some kid expert made to simply label them as 'occasional' food - simply make wednesday and saturday ice-cream nights or whatever.

Maybe let kids decide what their '20 percent' is going to be? So they can plan, well, I'm going to have a dessert so I'll have a really primal lunch. Or if I have that muffin for morning tea instead of sweets later.

Great thread, I'm going to have my work cut out with my two so these ideas are really useful!

Comment

Originally posted by Helen in Oz View Post
                              I think it's not a good idea to use treat foods as a reward. That's happened already in our house and I think it just encourages a dysfunctional relationship with food.
                              Thanks, I was hoping someone would say that. I agree but wasn't sure.

Transition child to eat healthy/primal PLAN

Actions:
                              1. remove all the bad food from the home keeping only the good stuff
                              2. schedule saturdays and wednesdays as "ice cream day"
                              3. give him chopped up fruit and/or yogurt as a standard daily desert
                              4. involve him with meal prepping where possible (choose what vegetables he wants, peel stuff, chop some bits, taste before cooking, etc)

Notes:
                              - he should "mostly" eat what YOU eat since thats the only food in the house. Refuse to give him anything different.
                              - making him go hungry isn't too harsh as long as the bad food has been removed to not seem unfair or to tease him.
                              - he will eventually adapt if you are consistency with it.
                              - don't give him crap food as a 'reward' for eating healthy food. This just encourages a dysfunctional relationship with food. "daddy, if i eat these carrots will you give me some ice-cream?". And he will likely never adapt using this method of rewarding.

Last edited by Ollie; 05-29-2010, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Interesting thread.

We have a 6 year old son and he is fairly primal. We eat out twice a week at the in-laws and I'm happy for him to eat what he likes there, so he still has bread, cakes and some processed stuff (and so do I tbh...have no will power when it's thrust in front of me ). But at home we've stopped buying most grain based or processed foods etc and have been giving him the stores of pasta, cereals etc that we had in the cupboard when hubby and I started eating primally 2 months ago.

In the main he seems very happy with the change and hasn't complained about the lack of his usual chocolate cake or sandwiches. He's was curious as to why we didn't eat bread any more but accepting of the reasons why and the fact that he would only get it if we ate out from now on. He is fairly fussy with his food to I have had to think a little more about varying his meals so he doesn't get bored...but he has started embracing a few new tastes and has expanded his meat eating beyond sausages and burgers

A typical day for him looks something like this:
                                Breakfast - 2 eggs fried in butter with 2 rashers of bacon
                                Snack - Banana & apple sometimes with full fat cream
                                Lunch - Portion of ham or other cooked meat and or portion of cheese with a 'salad' of raw veggies/fruit (usually cucumber, carrot, mushroom, green beans, handful of olives and some berries) and a few squares of organic milk chocolate
                                Snack - ice lolly (or 2 )
                                Dinner - portion of plain cooked meat (or a 100% meat frozen burger if hubby and I are having something he doesn't like) with cooked veg, maybe with one or 2 new potatoes
                                Snack - portion of cheese/bowl of cereal with whole milk and a banana and an apple

Does that sound OK? Would appreciate any comments. I do worry about whether he gets enough nutrition, fat etc

Comment

Working...
                                X