X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ds typically eats:

Breakfast....choice from the list, not the enitre list
    Scrambled eggs & bacon
    Quiche made with sausage & veggies (I make in a mini-muffin pan so they're tiny and he can hold them in his hands)
    Fruit with yogurt
    Occassionally dh will give him an organic waffle

Snack choices:
    Fruit (apples, kiwi, oranges, bananas, melons, pineapple)
    Olives
    Yogurt
    Berries
    Nuts (he's obsessed with almonds and cashews)
    Cheese

Lunch
    Almost always eats some sort of soup. Our nanny makes, purees and freezes huge batches of soup for him that are made from chicken and tons of different veggies. On the weekends when I make lunch, he gets leftovers from dinner with some veggies or fruit.

Dinner
    Whatever we're having. Last night, he ate an ENTIRE filet (he's 2). He also ate a "salad" - all the stuff (lettuce, cukes, peppers, carrots) I'd put in my salad but piled in separate piles on his plate and with a tiny cup of homemade dressing to dip it in (he loves anything he can dip). We almost always grill veggies along with our meat so he'll eat that (asparagus, squash, zucchini, onions, tomatoes).

We give him two sippy cups of milk per day and otherwise he drinks water with lemon in it.

He takes a CLO supplement each day but no other supplements.

He eats healthy at home so I don't stress out when he eats ice cream at the grandparents or a cupcake at preschool.

Comment

Oh...and my son is obsessed with ice cream and the ice cream man. So occassionally, I'll chop a banana and freeze it. I'll then throw the banana and a little heavy cream and a spoon of almond butter into the magic bullet and blend. It comes out like banana ice cream and he doesn't know the difference.

Comment

My kids are mostly primal, with a few exceptions. I don't restrict their fruit intake, and they love fruit!

Breakfast is usually fruit, greek yogurt and sometimes quinoa porriage with heavy cream. If we're eating breakfast at that time then they partake in the bacon/meat and eggs as well.

For lunch I do a snack platter. Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, cheese, cold chicken, nuts, hardboiled eggs... or soup. They are bonkers for soup with broccoli and chicken. We'll probably do less soup as it warms up!

They usually have a snack before dinner. Meat and cheese, or another fruit, or some yogurt if they didn't have it with breakfast.

Dinner they eat what we eat.

If they didn't like what we had for dinner, lately I've been giving them a smoothie or other snack before bed, as I've noticed that on nights they don't have a good meal before bed they are restless, wakeful and hungry in the middle of the night.

They drink milk and water throughout the day.

For treats I make them coconut flour muffins (maybe once a month?) or they love a nibble of my dark chocolate! I'm going to make up smoothie popsicles for summer, frozen yogurt with no sugar just berries and yogurt, and will probably make some real ice cream a couple times over the summer. (my hubby LOVES ice cream, and I love being able to put only a tiny amount of sugar in!)

My groklings are 3 yrs old and 20 months old.

We do not restrict what grandma and grandpa give them when they visit, so there they receive wonder bread sandwiches, mac and cheese, candy, etc etc etc. but my parents are coming around as they see how hyper and un cooperative they are after being fed junk! lol
        Last edited by lil_earthmomma; 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM.
        The more I see the less I know for sure.
        -John Lennon

Comment

What a fantastic thread! Here are some more:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=Primal+kids
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=Primal+kids

My kids are 8 and 11. They eat what we eat - no special 'kid food'. One has a very strong internal ability to monitor what she eats (the 8 yo). She eats some junk but mostly fills herself healthfully. My 11 yo has major impulse control issues in all areas, incl food. It's so not a parenting thing. She's been this way since she was a newborn. Both have.

Here's document I compiled regarding the primal feeding of babies/toddlers:
          http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...tuZHNnMw&hl=en

Infant Nutrition and Starting Solids
          compiled by Katherine Morrison
          excerpted from the following sites and from other sources over time

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...Feeding-Babies

http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-...mula.html#eyfb

note: don't ever prechew baby's food. this is a major source of s. mutans transmission.
          While cavity formation is multi-factorial, it is considered 'infectious'

From day 1
          while breastfeeding (for mom)
          mom should be taking high DHA fish oil as DHA is occurs in
          greater amounts than EPA in the foods humans eat.
          $5 coupon for iherb.com CIL457
          plenty of vitamin K from animal products, fermented foods, vegetables
          sufficient preformed Vitamin A from food and supplements combined (250-300 IU per day),
          or a monthly 10,000 IU dose of preformed A, or eat liver occasionally....monthly is fine.
          no cod liver oil - it contains too much Vitamin A in ratio to D and most often
          too little DHA in ratio to EPA. One exception: Carlson Cod Liver oil, 1-3 tsp depending
          on Vitamin A in other supplements/foods. Factor the Vitamin D in to daily totals as well.
          A total of 2500 IU vitamin A is appropriate. Subject to change as new data emerges.
          take 1000 IU D3 per 25 lbs body weight per day on days that midday,
          summer, full body, unprotected sun exposure cannot be obtained
          At all latitudes, Vitamin D deficiency is a problem in our modern world
          unless getting midday, summer, unprotected, full body sun to the point just
          before a burn occurs.
          Vitamin D Dosing, Levels and Testing information
          http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en

while breastfeeding (for baby)
          Vitamin D drops: 400 IU per 10 lbs body weight on days that baby cannot get midday
          summer, unprotected, full body sun to the point just before a burn would occur
          Do not give cod liver oil - it contains too much Vitamin A in ratio to D and most often
          too little DHA in ratio to EPA
          Even modest amounts of dietary A can magnify D insufficiency and deficiency
          Countries that routinely supplement with cod liver oil have very high fracture rates among
          other problems that are likely caused by an intake of A too high in relation to D status.

Four Months
          continue breastfeeding
          continue nutritional supplements for mom
          continue vitamin D for baby

Egg and Liver Feeding
          ☐ daily: an egg yolk per day with a tsp of grated frozen liver
          ☐ important: freeze liver for 14 days prior to using
          boil egg for 3.5 minutes, open it, scrape yolk into a little dish
          use microplane grater or similar to grate 1 tsp liver into the yolk
          feed baby
          ☐ supplies cholesterol and sulphur-containing amino acids both are important
          for optimal brain development
          yolk types in order of preference
          →from pasture-fed hens (flax, insects etc insure excellent fatty acid,
          vitamin A and lutein content)

from high DHA organic free range eggs
          from organic free range eggs
          from high DHA eggs
          egg white contains proteins that are allergenic and difficult to digest
          delay feeding egg yolk until 12 months

Six Months
          continue the above and if you can handle it, add.....
          Organ Meats
          traditional cultures populations in Italy, Japan, South and Central
          America and Africa start infants on soft organ meats, typically
          liver and brain when they are available
          do what you can

Ten Months
          plain yogurt to familiarize baby with sour taste - may take many tries
          don't give in and sweeten it
          meats (boiled or stewed are best....long cooking times, low temps)
          fish (sardines or mackerel are ideal as is wild salmon)
          fruit (banana, avocado, pear, apple etc)
          vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, green beans, etc)
          fermented foods in addition to yogurt: sauerkraut etc

One Year
          whole eggs
          whole milk
          other fruits and vegetables not added at 10 months
          fish if not introduced at 10 months
          other foods listed above

General
          little amylase is produced before the end of the first year
          amylase is required for the breakdown of starches
          lactase is produced in abundance to digest lactose, the primary
          carbohydrate in breastmilk (which is also the primary macro
          nutrient)
          zinc, iron, vitamin A, vitamin D and B vitamins, and Ω3 fatty
          acids are the most important ones for cognitive development and
          should be the focus of infant feeding.
          animal foods supply zinc, iron, A, and in fatty fish, vitamin D
          is supplied as well
          infant growth is heavily dependent on calcium, phosphorus, protein

Formula Recipes
          true insufficient supply is not common, but deserves attention
          http://www.westonaprice.org/Recipes-...mula.html#eyfb
          http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...antformula.php
          http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...ntformula2.php
          http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com...ntformula3.php
          Last edited by cillakat; 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I am already considering the challenges I will face as a parent, whenever that day may come, so Its really interesting to read the comments here. My biggest fear is The School. That cafeteria food. ohmygosh. I can pack all the lunches I want, but that doesn't mean my kid will eat it! And what if, after years of home cooked meals and healthy snacks, they just prefer to eat unhealthy? fear, worry, repeat. I guess it does no good to dwell on these things. After all, I had my fair share of unhealthy years. One thing I do plan on is involving my children in the kitchen with me, and making it fun. I want my kids to know how to cook at the very least, so they can eat Real Food and not have to rely on food products, as so many young men and women do nowadays once they leave home. (Just today I saw a girl at central market with an entire shopping cart filled with Lean Cuisines. Like, 20 of them. I felt bad for her! And I swore to myself my child will be proficient in the kitchen!)

There are somethings like oatmeal, that I don't eat anymore, but wouldn't mind feeding my child. I really don't mind eating the same things fairly often, but my child may not. And, its pretty cost effective!

Comment

"That cafeteria food. ohmygosh. I can pack all the lunches I want, but that doesn't mean my kid will eat it! And what if, after years of home cooked meals and healthy snacks, they just prefer to eat unhealthy? fear, worry, repeat. I guess it does no good to dwell on these things."

Exactly! Make the good stuff fun and oftentimes, the rest falls away. Talk about it early and often just like you would drugs or smoking.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Grol,

Sitting down with her and watching Fathead may help in the fast food department.
                It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

Comment

She's watched Fathead and Food Inc. with me. She has big issues with Tyson and Foster Farms. Just last night she produced a rough draft for her final creative writing assignment. It's about two chickens named Foster and Tyson who 'escape the cube' and end up in Hawaii with all the wild chickens. Funny though, she visited a feedlot on a field trip and doesn't think those nice people would produce unsafe beef. It even got her over the be a vegetarian because eating animals is mean phase. Go figure.

I grow organic 'offseason' heirloom tomatoes for market, btw, so she's had good influences regarding sustainable agriculture. I really appreciate all the concern for her in this thread. I'm jealous of the parents who are getting started with much younger kids, but we'll be fine. My kid is way way ahead of her SAD eating peers on this topic. They've called her weird because of her healthy eating habits before her father turned caveman. She will not eat anything from the school cafeteria and is a little lost in a fast food restaurant. Terrified of the meat, to be frank. She likes subway, sodas, shakes, ice cream and plenty of high carb food (Mexican and Italian), but she'll be fine. This will be a process considering her age, but she's bright and as kmac said, my example will be key.

Comment

I got my office manager in trouble with her daughter. My office manager has been eating more "primal" following my example (and fat loss) - her daughter (12) chided her for the lack of whole grains and too many animal fats and explained how "Miss Dees" the health teacher had explained what a healthy diet was... my office manager said, "I've seen Miss Dees, and I wouldn't listen to her for diet advice." (ouch!)

Comment

Just wanted to add that ever since I went primal (and the one year old eats what I eat, with added milk), my youngest astounds me with how much food she can pack in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisous View Post
                        Just wanted to add that ever since I went primal (and the one year old eats what I eat, with added milk), my youngest astounds me with how much food she can pack in.
                        It's crazy isn't it! lol
                        The more I see the less I know for sure.
                        -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by Bisous View Post
                          I was watching one of my daughters tonight shovel in bite after bite of steak, pork, and sweet potato just as fast as she could chew...and she had a large snack 2 hrs prior. I was just like, wow! should I stop her? Nah...and then they get that big ol toddler tummy, I love it. As long as you're providing good food it doesn't matter what they choose to eat or how much. Kids have that built in sense of what and how much they need to nourish their bodies, all we have to do is try not to break that.

Comment

Hey Grol, I just wanted to add that I got a late start on a whole foods diet with my crew. I just started about a year ago and we have made great strides, but the ones that live at home are 16, 14 & 7. The 14 yr old is the pickiest child on the planet who really hates his veggies and most fruits.....ironically he is also the one who has written essays on the dangers of processed foods and always comments on his friends eating habits and asks pointed questions about diet and health...he really gets it, but the execution of what he knows is right is harder.

Breakfast is tough, the 14 yr old has a bagel with cream cheese. The other two have yogurt and fruit...the occasional egg (all three dislike eggs, especially for breakfast)

Lunch is turkey/cheese & cukes wrapped in lettuce, or slices of turkey & cheese, maybe a hard boiled egg, apple, and nuts...usually a small token bag of tortilla chips

Snacks are deviled eggs, hard boiled eggs, cheese, peanut butter, fruits, cheese, nuts

Dinner is salad, veggies, baked potato on occasion, meat, soup...etc

We do treats once a week or so, my 16 & 7 yr olds are gluten free, so treats fit those restrictions.

Comment

I've had good luck subverting a "I WANT CHIPS" tantrum with a larabar.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
                                I was watching one of my daughters tonight shovel in bite after bite of steak, pork, and sweet potato just as fast as she could chew...and she had a large snack 2 hrs prior. I was just like, wow! should I stop her? Nah...and then they get that big ol toddler tummy, I love it.
                                Hah - mine goes to sleep with one of those every night, and wakes up all skinny again!

Comment

Working...
                                X