Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with autoimmune protocol! I'm desperate! Please read!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Op, I am also dealing with skin issues and did see improvement but you have to be prepared for it to be a long term process.

    There were lots of nightshades on your list. Research these, they are very common causes of flares. There are lots but I will list the most common. So you want to watch out for any kind of tomato, potato, sweet/hot peppers derived products. This includes starches, flours, spices like cayenne and paprika. Eating out is very challenging because lots of places season with cayenne or paprika, or marinate their meats in solutions containing some sort of nightshade. You have to get used to reading every label, and you will probably have to get rid of lots of stuff in your pantry.

    Dairy products are also a problem for lots of skin conditions. Even raw and grass fed might be a problem. I have tried and can't use any. I have switched to using coconut milk for anything requiring cream. I use coconut oil or olive oil for cooking.

    Read up on coconut oil. It is great for skin. You just get a tub of regular co and apply to skin (a blast with hair dryer will melt it if it is solid). If you don't like the smell you can use refined co. Trader joes also sells a body butter that is very soothing.

    Since your list is so long, you pretty much need to rely on whole foods, not use prepackaged anything. Good luck. At first it is tough, but you will develop a new routine/food list and it will get easier. And once you start seeing improvement the sacrifices are worth it.



    sent from my tablet

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
      so did you take a course of antibiotics?

      neck and drum beat me to it with the unreliability of food allergy tests.

      learn to love sardines and other fatty fish and start taking good probiotics yesterday.
      Yes I did take Anti-biotics

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        Who ran the allergen test, which test was used, and what was the recommendations from that practitioner?

        General info:

        Your gut health plays a huge role in you're bodily health and what foods may show as "allergic" to simply because leaky gut allows a variety of foreign (at least in this sense) proteins through.
        My Doctor ran the test, it was a ige blood test , and he said to avoid tomatoes, soy, oats, and limit the broccoli

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
          am with you on foods over supps, but it sounds like the op is a student, so don't want to presume too much.
          Yes I am a high school student (18) with not that many resources, no experience in food prep/storage and not that much time. I think supps will be necessary but will any brand of probiotics do??

          Comment


          • #20
            Also how do you guys feel about Pastured Turkey? Is it inflammatory?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Papapoopy View Post
              Yes I am a high school student (18) with not that many resources, no experience in food prep/storage and not that much time. I think supps will be necessary but will any brand of probiotics do??
              Not true. Just go to your local health food store for five minutes and buy some Bubbies brand sauerkraut or their wonderful dill pickles. I think there's also a great brand of 'kraut known as "Wildbrine" which you may also find which is just as good, with a variety of flavors. Simple, easy, and cheaper than the pills. You can buy online too, since fermentation is technically a food preservation method.

              But if you're still not convinced, go for the pills, but I usually only use those when I travel and don't have access to fermented stuff.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Papapoopy View Post
                Also how do you guys feel about Pastured Turkey? Is it inflammatory?
                almost all commercial birds get grain (corn/soy) as supplemental feed. i'd avoid that for now and stick to fatty fish until you are more healed and have a better handle on this.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                Ernest Hemingway

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                  You need to get together with me and share your magic "fermentation secrets," man. I ferment in small batches from time-to-time when I am feeling brave, but I haven't the experience or equipment yet to get on to trying large batches.

                  Although I did make some awesome fermented okra last summer which is fucking amazing stuff. It's about the only way I'll actually eat okra but I'll DESTROY that stuff.
                  Hahah.... the only large batch stuff I've done (3 gallon crock) has been sauerkraut with a couple of apples added in and some caraway seeds. It's my go to ferment. I like to dip out and bottle it at 2weeks, 3 weeks, and 4 weeks and label em as such. Its cool how it changes from one to the next. I like it at about 3 weeks the best though.

                  The rest of my ferments are usually summer veggies that I try different spices in and just submerse in a brine in a quart jar for about two weeks. Some do better than others. I can't say that I've even ever made the exact same thing (aside from the kraut) twice, lol. I like carrots with some peppers (chile or jalepeno); celery, peppers, parsnips; whatever really! Kind of do it like they do here Fermented Mixed Vegetables - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet except I don't put a lid or wrap on it...just make sure the veggies stay submersed, and I don't think they let them ferment long enough. Two weeks is a minimum for me.

                  Oh....fresh garlic....in everything! I freaking love it. It flavors the left over brine just right. I usually drink it right down when the veggies are gone.
                  Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-04-2014, 01:06 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Hahah.... the only large batch stuff I've done (3 gallon crock) has been sauerkraut with a couple of apples added in and some caraway seeds. It's my go to ferment. I like to dip out and bottle it at 2weeks, 3 weeks, and 4 weeks and label em as such. Its cool how it changes from one to the next. I like it at about 3 weeks the best though.

                    The rest of my ferments are usually summer veggies that I try different spices in and just submerse in a brine in a quart jar for about two weeks. Some do better than others. I can't say that I've even ever made the exact same thing (aside from the kraut) twice, lol. I like carrots with some peppers (chile or jalepeno); celery, peppers, parsnips; whatever really! Kind of do it like they do here Fermented Mixed Vegetables - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet except I don't put a lid or wrap on it...just make sure the veggies stay submersed, and I don't think they let them ferment long enough. Two weeks is a minimum for me.

                    Oh....fresh garlic....in everything! I freaking love it. It flavors the left over brine just right. I usually drink it right down when the veggies are gone.
                    Neck, I have a local fermentation company that ferments straight garlic cloves. Garlic cloves, salt, chili peppers, and water. Next time they hit my farmer's market this spring, maybe I'll mail you some.

                    Or you can come and see for yourself.
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      neck, no lid, no wrap? what do you put on top?
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                      Ernest Hemingway

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I have auto immune conditions too, similar situation hence my Gerd post that Im waiting for some replies on.

                        Im looking to replace my probiotic tablet with fermentables (Sauerkraut and Kimchi). My partner is looking after it as their family make it traditionally, so Im just waiting. But K Kresser had a link on one of this posts to fermentables, I think the person has also written a book on it. Ill try to find that for you.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          Neck, I have a local fermentation company that ferments straight garlic cloves. Garlic cloves, salt, chili peppers, and water. Next time they hit my farmer's market this spring, maybe I'll mail you some.

                          Or you can come and see for yourself.
                          Sounds like a plan to me!

                          Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                          neck, no lid, no wrap? what do you put on top?
                          A small rock that fits within the lid works to hold the veggies bellow the brine level (you can boil it if its from your yard if you like). This is all that is needed to ensure that they ferment properly. As long as they stay submerged in the brine no need to worry about spoilage and the like....I got my original info from "Wild Fermentation" then later "The Art of Fermentation". In my 3 gallon crock we use a plate that just fits inside and place a gallon jug of water on top to keep everything submerged.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Sounds like a plan to me!
                            Which part? Or both?

                            We totally should though! And you can bring something you recently fermented up in trade. Just like good 'ol Sandor says he does in "The Art of Fermentation."
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                              Not true. Just go to your local health food store for five minutes and buy some Bubbies brand sauerkraut or their wonderful dill pickles. I think there's also a great brand of 'kraut known as "Wildbrine" which you may also find which is just as good, with a variety of flavors. Simple, easy, and cheaper than the pills. You can buy online too, since fermentation is technically a food preservation method.

                              But if you're still not convinced, go for the pills, but I usually only use those when I travel and don't have access to fermented stuff.
                              Wow really? It's that simple?
                              So just look for where the fermented foods are and get sauerkrat to start? Will I be getting as much good bacteria as a pro-biotic gives me?
                              I love you guys I believe I'm actually gonna get healed.

                              Btw my food intake for today everyone
                              1lb ground beef, 3 apples, 5 bananas, 3 boiled and sliced carrots with 1 ounce of white mushrooms, and a bowl of brown rice.. Feedback?
                              I'm going shopping tomorrow straight after school for autoimmune-paleo foods, today I just ate whatever I already have that seemed healthy to me

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                                almost all commercial birds get grain (corn/soy) as supplemental feed. i'd avoid that for now and stick to fatty fish until you are more healed and have a better handle on this.
                                Okay thanks I almost bought some because it is so cheap! I'll stick to fish

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X