Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the heck do you get enough calories?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah some folks here get tetchy sometimes. also we get a lot of trolls and some folks just get grumpy. What does a days calories look like for you and the SO?

I am curious about the eggs, why would you not eat them every day? I have -6 a day for breakfast with a tablespoon of butter melted in.

Add butter to cooking, add coconut oil when cooking, save and cook with bacon fat or beef tallow etc. all this adds calories.

If you do not have weight to loose then add in potatoes, white rice or other starchy veggies.

How much protein do you eat and what kinds? if you are a chicken breast only type you are likely not getting enough food. A big steak or mess of liver and onions makes a great meal.

I cook with bone broth any time I need liquid to cook with so add that shit in everywhere.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Fat is very calorie dense so if your trying to add easy calories that's the way to go. I am trying to gain some weight while staying LC so I am making smoothies with a can of coconut milk. When I totaled that out it was 1300 calories on fitday.

coconut milk 1 can
      almond butter 1 TBS
      greek yogurt 1 cup
      primal fuel protien powder 2 scoops

Also avocado and grass fed butter are a great fat sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
        Yeah some folks here get tetchy sometimes. also we get a lot of trolls and some folks just get grumpy. What does a days calories look like for you and the SO?

I am curious about the eggs, why would you not eat them every day? I have -6 a day for breakfast with a tablespoon of butter melted in.

Add butter to cooking, add coconut oil when cooking, save and cook with bacon fat or beef tallow etc. all this adds calories.

If you do not have weight to loose then add in potatoes, white rice or other starchy veggies.

How much protein do you eat and what kinds? if you are a chicken breast only type you are likely not getting enough food. A big steak or mess of liver and onions makes a great meal.

I cook with bone broth any time I need liquid to cook with so add that shit in everywhere.
        Thanks for the considered response. Regarding eggs...I have many years of bias to overcome on this one. We'll eat eggs maybe 3, sometimes 4, days a week, but I'm always wary of health advice on whether a food is good or bad, since what once was bad often becomes good, and "in fashion", only to later be discovered as bad again. So I err on the side of caution.

As for meat...we eat chicken and fish and sometimes ground beef in spaghetti or tacos. But I can't eat a lot of red meat, no matter how "healthy" it's supposed to be.

I'm going to re-insert milk back into my diet next week (after a 3-week experiment without), because I'm not lactose intolerant and I love it in a protein shake...which will put calories back in my diet (whole milk).

I gave up sugar, because it was harming me, and I am the original "Cookie Monster". This has been a little difficult, but not too bad...again, though, a big source of calories (although empty, unhealthful ones...).

Just adding milk back will help. But I need to wait for a week, because I'm currently dealing with a case of C. Difficile that I contracted while on an antibiotic (which, it turns out I didn't need...that's on another thread), and the medication used to defeat it makes dairy problematic at the moment.

Again...thanks for the reasoned post...it helps.

Comment

Pastured eggs and red meat are good for you and will help you feel full. If you're not willing to eat these at your output level you're going to have issues and you'll have issues getting sympathy here. It's no disrespect, I'm sure you're a great guy. This is just dogma that most of us have come to accept here.

Comment

My easiest go-to dinner is a pound of grass-fed beef (ground, steak, whatever was on sale) or similar, 6 to eight eggs, five to ten boiled carrots and three to five sweet potatoes also boiled. I make ginger tea out of the veggie water. I add tallow, bacon grease, duck fat, other fats to my frying pan and the egg whites suck them right up.

Have you tried a month of steak and eggs to see how good it feels? And watch your lab numbers improve on it. You'll be angry about the lies, but happy as your HDL soars. Most likely. Red meat is your friend. Not salami and pepperoni, obviously. But chunks of real animal bathed in stable, saturated fat with nutrient-dense eggs, liver, seafood, etc., you can't lose.

P.S. I hate to say this, but you have to jump in both feet or you will never know. Whether it's a weak appetite or old lies dissuading you, that's up to you to sort out. But so far you haven't tried Primal Blueprint nutrition at all. Not even for one day.
            Last edited by Knifegill; 01-29-2014, 09:08 AM.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

if you've come this far, i think you need to wiggle just a bit more and dump the rest of the cw that's keeping you from enjoying eggs and red meat. or is the meat thing a flavor/texture issue? do some google-fu and get yourself geared up with new recipes. braises are cheap and make the meat meltingly tender -- especially good for cuts like shank and shoulder. just type "paleo" before whatever meat cut and you'll find a ton of info. this board has a recipe section too.

liver? you can mince it and mix it into burger meat or spaghetti sauce til you get more used to it. tongue and heart are quite lean and while they definitely have a mineral-taste may be easier for you to eat than liver.

relying on chicken and fish for protein and calories is going to be difficult and not provide adequate nutrition. you NEED the minerals from meat and a relatively small portion is calorically dense. 100 gms of cod is about 100 cals, but 100 gms of lamb is about 300 cals. bone broth,(whatever your problem is with it) also carries lots of trace minerals and is good to have most days, if not daily.

are you eating tubers? squashes? very convenient vehicles for carrying fats.

if you've been on antibiotics start consuming fermented foods -- kimchee, kefir, etc. to heal your gut. and then keep having them. everyday.

did you find a good source for fresh grass-fed milk?
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

oh, and yeah -- knife's post reminded me: have been eating this way almost 4 years and all my cw health markers are excellent.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Eat more fat if you really have a hard time getting more calories. Take a look at the back of a can of coconut milk... no lack of calories in there
                  http://nickburgraff.com/

Comment

Or maybe some nice bone broth.

Comment

Sorry, wasn't trying to be snarky w/ my RTFM comment, it's just that there are SO many suggestions and hacks on these forums that work for individuals or groups but are not what the Primal Blueprint suggests.

While it's great that these things work for those people, I think that to START, you need to give it no less than 2 weeks (but preferably 21-30+ days) of by-the-book eating. Jump in feet first, forget everything you thought you knew about what's healthy. 21- 30 days of pretty much any diet will not kill you, but to know whether primal actually works for you, you need to actually try primal with no holds barred.

Eggs are good. Grass-fed beef is awesome, fats (healthy ones) are not evil. Why "can't" you eat red meat & eggs more than 3-4 times a week? Unless it's an allergy or severe aversion, just bite the bullet and TRY eating more eggs and some pastured red meat.

Mark has lots of recipes, and I'm a fan of primal palate, nom nom paleo...

I'll ask again... What does a day of food look like for you?

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMama View Post
                        Sorry, wasn't trying to be snarky w/ my RTFM comment, it's just that there are SO many suggestions and hacks on these forums that work for individuals or groups but are not what the Primal Blueprint suggests.

While it's great that these things work for those people, I think that to START, you need to give it no less than 2 weeks (but preferably 21-30+ days) of by-the-book eating. Jump in feet first, forget everything you thought you knew about what's healthy. 21- 30 days of pretty much any diet will not kill you, but to know whether primal actually works for you, you need to actually try primal with no holds barred.

Eggs are good. Grass-fed beef is awesome, fats (healthy ones) are not evil. Why "can't" you eat red meat & eggs more than 3-4 times a week? Unless it's an allergy or severe aversion, just bite the bullet and TRY eating more eggs and some pastured red meat.

Mark has lots of recipes, and I'm a fan of primal palate, nom nom paleo...

I'll ask again... What does a day of food look like for you?
                        I can tolerate quality ground beef, but steaks...hard to digest...not worth the effort.

A food day:

Eggs with bacon about 3X week...otherwise yogurt with fruit/granola or oatmeal. Side of fruit with yogurt. Coffee.
                        Lunch: Turkey or tuna sandwich with some tortilla chips...fruit
                        Dinner: Chicken breast or pasta (with clams or spaghetti sauce w/ground chicken) or fish or tacos with ground chicken...or - gad! - a pizza once in a while....salad...wine. Or I make a stir fry with chicken sliced, broccoli, zucchini, green onions, garlic, ginger...over rice. Oh..and some tasty whole grain baguette dipped in olive oil/balsamic vinegar...

Eliminated: Cookies (I was eating TOO many), breakfast muffins/rolls, orange juice. This is for sugar reduction.

That help?
                        Last edited by Bear; 01-29-2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

why are you still eating so many grains?

your menu looks like a standard cw "diet".

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

How the heck do you get enough calories?

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                            Thanks. By the way...your advice would be a lot easier to accept if it didn't come packaged with an attitude. Notice that in a lot of your posts....just saying.
                            Lol. You are right of course.

Sorry, yesterday I was feeling especially b****y. I apologize.

My point with the juice though is that liquid calories are easier to consume. I use oj for that purpose: to replenish electrolytes immediately post-workout. (Some people salt their oj; I think that is gross and just eat saltier meals post workout or have salted bone broth). I also enjoy many sports much better on an empty stomach and oj+ gelatin is good for that.

So if one doesn't get enough cals I always recommend milk, oj, other juices, smoothies, Datorade, kefir, coconut milk.
                            JOURNAL..
                            @BabesWithBBQ.
                            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                            Professional Style Website.
                            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Yes why are you consuming so much grain?

Comment

Lol. So your worried about sugar but you are eating a ton of grains. Dude you are becoming orthorexic with all these questions. You don't need to lose fat and you exercise a lot. Eating as much as you want of whatever you want. Don't buy junk food, don't consume seed oils, limit the grains and you will be just fine. That is %99 of the problem with SAD diets.

Comment

Working...
                                X