Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RS, Potato Starch, How to use.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I was thinking about that too as long we keep temp lower than 140 when the starch breaks down?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • Originally posted by kmarie View Post
      As far as the cook/cooked, RS 3, will sweet potatoes work?

      I know I'm asking so many questions, but I have one more about CO. I read your link in another thread about the TJ permeability and the comment you wrote about CO. Are you saying don't use it, don't use it until healed, use w caution or what? Alternative to CO?
      K
      Sweet potatoes are good to have in the rotation, not super-high RS, but all-around good for you.

      As to CO, I think it's more like Taco-man said, you can't avoid permeability, it's just nature, but you can increase foods known to strengthen the junctions and avoid foods that weaken it. I don't know if the lauric acid makes CO an 'avoid' food. That said, I only use it for cooking anymore, and then rarely, in favor of butter. I definitely don't do the 4TBS/day of CO thing like I once was doing. It's funny to me how nobody had a problem doing 4TBS of CO, but so many freak over 4TBS of raw starch. The first time I tried CO, I thought I was going to puke and had to lay down for an hour, but I kept at it.

      Originally posted by kmarie View Post
      Tater,
      Is freezing bananas ok as far as RS?
      Thx
      K
      Freezing won't decrease the RS in raw bananas.


      Originally posted by kmarie View Post
      Re the WEDO banana flour, does it contain as much RS when cooked or are those numbers given for taking it raw?
      Ty
      K
      They are getting that measured soon. I think it will turn out that a good portion of the RS remains when it's used in baking.



      Originally posted by imp View Post
      How much rs is in sliced potatoes in dehydrator (potato chips)

      Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
      Same as raw. A raw potato that weighs 200g has about 30g of RS. If you dehydrate it, it will still have 30g. Fried potato chips will have significantly less. Just make sure to keep temp below 140 deg F.


      Keep these questions coming! I have an ulterior motive...
      Find me on Facebook!

      Comment


      • Thanks so much, Tater!
        I'll keep the questions coming, no problem! Lol!
        Is there a list of foods known to strengthen/weaken the junctions?
        How much RS in a regular banana?
        Thx
        K
        Ps...iHerb already shipped! Seems like a great company so far, thx for the recommendation!

        Comment


        • Is that simple to make the chips ?
          Slice up, salt maybe some nutmeg cinnamon, lay out on sheet or shelf really low oven . I can go low to 60c . How long wud they take ?

          Also , how much RS in plantain flour ? I can't find banana flour in the UK amaZon only plantain.

          Also , going bk previous 2 pages.
          I had shingles few months ago , and since adding some RS in PS and potatoes cooked reheated cooked I have had some pains in nerves in the affected shingles area.

          I don't want to give up the RS , but may give it a break . I only feel it during and day or 2 after when I'm doing really heavy squats and deadlifts but no pain in upper body.
          I don't know if it's related until I give it a break.

          Ideally u take ur RS with some kefir then follow that up with SBO probiotic .

          I use garden of life , brand .
          Does anyone recommend better brand or they pretty good?





          From London England UK

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tatertot View Post
            Keep these questions coming! I have an ulterior motive...
            Just a theory question, but have you determined or seen research that tells you calorie wise what the body gets from RS. In other words, if I eat 2 tbsps of Bobs RM PS, I assume the calories given on the label are not going to be accurate to what my body gets. Make sense?

            Could be a whole chapter in a book.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by tatertot View Post
              Sweet potatoes are good to have in the rotation, not super-high RS, but all-around good for you.

              As to CO, I think it's more like Taco-man said, you can't avoid permeability, it's just nature, but you can increase foods known to strengthen the junctions and avoid foods that weaken it. I don't know if the lauric acid makes CO an 'avoid' food. That said, I only use it for cooking anymore, and then rarely, in favor of butter. I definitely don't do the 4TBS/day of CO thing like I once was doing. It's funny to me how nobody had a problem doing 4TBS of CO, but so many freak over 4TBS of raw starch. The first time I tried CO, I thought I was going to puke and had to lay down for an hour, but I kept at it.



              Freezing won't decrease the RS in raw bananas.




              They are getting that measured soon. I think it will turn out that a good portion of the RS remains when it's used in baking.





              Same as raw. A raw potato that weighs 200g has about 30g of RS. If you dehydrate it, it will still have 30g. Fried potato chips will have significantly less. Just make sure to keep temp below 140 deg F.


              Keep these questions coming! I have an ulterior motive...
              Excellent same with plantains? 30-40 each?

              Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • Yes, an average sized plantain has 30-40g RS.
                Find me on Facebook!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Nillos View Post
                  So this RS stuff got me intrigued, but I can't seem to find potato starch where I come from (only potato flour).
                  So... does cold potato/rice work just as good?
                  The difference between potato starch and potato flour was explained to me this way by a Whole Foods person: Potato STARCH is made from the whole peeled raw potato dried at very low temps.. Potato FLOUR is made from cooked potatoes and dried. AFAIK, the flour doesn't contain the RS that we are seeking.

                  Comment


                  • I made an awesome paleo fudge with plantain flour yesterday, thought I would share....

                    1 cup coconut oil
                    1/2 cup coconut manna
                    1/2 cup raw almond butter
                    1 cup plantain flour
                    1/3 cup raw cacao powder
                    1 tsp cinnamon
                    1 tsp vanilla
                    1 cup chopped walnuts

                    Soften coconut and almond oils and mix well with rest of the ingredients. Pour into a greased or parchment lined glass dish and cool in fridge to solidify.
                    1/2 tsp real salt
                    Sweetener to taste ( I used 1/3 cup xylitol and a few drops of stevia)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                      The difference between potato starch and potato flour was explained to me this way by a Whole Foods person: Potato STARCH is made from the whole peeled raw potato dried at very low temps.. Potato FLOUR is made from cooked potatoes and dried. AFAIK, the flour doesn't contain the RS that we are seeking.
                      Well here's the problem: They don't differentiate between those two in Germany /:
                      What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

                      You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

                      Comment


                      • I'm curious how supplementing with potato starch (or other resistant starches) would interact with intermittent fasting protocols. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that RS doesn't break a fast since it isn't digested. Is that true? If I'm trying to fast from lunchtime one day to breakfast the next, would a few tbsp of potato starch before bedtime be okay, or would that ruin the IF?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by endless View Post
                          I made an awesome paleo fudge with plantain flour yesterday, thought I would share....

                          1 cup coconut oil
                          1/2 cup coconut manna
                          1/2 cup raw almond butter
                          1 cup plantain flour
                          1/3 cup raw cacao powder
                          1 tsp cinnamon
                          1 tsp vanilla
                          1 cup chopped walnuts

                          Soften coconut and almond oils and mix well with rest of the ingredients. Pour into a greased or parchment lined glass dish and cool in fridge to solidify.
                          1/2 tsp real salt
                          Sweetener to taste ( I used 1/3 cup xylitol and a few drops of stevia)
                          For $70 you could get 5 pounds of banana flour AND your recipe included on their website!

                          https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-to-the-united

                          AND help these guys get their new business off to a good start. Much of the money they are raising will go towards RS testing.
                          Find me on Facebook!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Nillos View Post
                            Well here's the problem: They don't differentiate between those two in Germany /:
                            it'easy to see the difference when you get it home. Mix it about 50/50 with water. if it's flour, it will turn into a gloppy, doughy mess. If it's starch it retains it's granular form and becomes almost cement like.

                            Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                            I'm curious how supplementing with potato starch (or other resistant starches) would interact with intermittent fasting protocols. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that RS doesn't break a fast since it isn't digested. Is that true? If I'm trying to fast from lunchtime one day to breakfast the next, would a few tbsp of potato starch before bedtime be okay, or would that ruin the IF?
                            It would be just fine. Helpful, probably.
                            Find me on Facebook!

                            Comment


                            • Thanks Tatertot, I will submit it and see what happens :-)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by tatertot View Post
                                It would be just fine. Helpful, probably.
                                Thanks for weighing in, tatertot! Out of curiosity, what makes you say it would be helpful?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X